DIY Idaho res elk hunt

I

IF_Hunter

I recently moved to East Idaho (from ND where I bowhunted whitetails) and I'm trying to get a DIY archery elk hunt planned for this fall. I've never hunted elk before and I'm pretty fired up. I'm hoping some of you with experience in Idaho, or elk in general, can lend a hand.

I think I've narrowed down to a couple areas. I'm willing to do a backpack hunt in order to get away from most hunters, but travel distance is also a consideration. I'm trying to decide between middle Idaho (Frank Church wilderness) or Island Park Zone in the east. Harvest percentages look good, as well as percentage of bulls over 6points (any elk would do me just fine, though) but what the statistics can't tell me is what it's actually like to hunt there. I plan on calling the regional biologists but does anyone have experience they can share? (Or other suggestions on zones)

As an aside, am I reading the regs wrong or is there no archery only hunt in the Frank Church?

Methods:
I'm reading/watching as much as I can about archery elk hunting. Practicing my calls and whatnot (my wife loves that part). My question is: Are these methods still valid in Idaho? I've heard people saying that because of wolf populations that elk are staying quiet and won't respond to calls. Is my dream of calling in a bull unlikely of coming true or are people looking for excuses?

Thanks for your help.

IFH

I don't hunt either area that you mentioned..

Both hold good numbers of elk for sure.

The Frank is also going to have good number of wolves eating those elk as well. get a tag, you never know..
As far as your methods and wether or not your "dream" of calling in a bull... Well of course it is unlikely, I mean you are planning on bow hunting (low odds). I would think that you stand a very good chance of getting a bull to answer you though... after that, what happens is up to you. You never know, you might have the hottest bull in the canyon answer your first call, and he will be slobbering and screaming inside 10 yards at first light on opening morning.... Don't worry, you will likely wet your pants and miss the bull by ten yards, that is if you can even get your bow drawn back without shaking your arrow off the rest.

Do elk still bugle or resopnd to calling in Idaho? Of course they do, they are still elk after all. Look at it this way, most guys gripe about the way it used to be vs. how it is now. (pe-wolf vs post wolf) You don't have to worry about that, since you are just starting out. All you got to figure out is how to hunt elk this season, and likely every September from now on.

I do not think that the Frank has a bow only season. There is an early "any weapon" season. that means rifle hunters will be there during the rut as well. (there are only a few areas in idaho that allow this.) However, the "Frank" is a big area that has several elk units in it. The Mcall zone does have a bow hunt, but not sure if it is actually in the Frank Wilderness...

That should tell you something about the area. The number of tags are somewhat limited, but the harsh country keeps the droves of people out.

You will be well served to think very hard about what it will take to get a bull out of the woods of the Frank Church Wilderness in September, on your back, by your self..... That has the potential to be a serious challenge. (I would find out who the outfitter is for that area.) It would cost you a pretty penny ($500 at least) to have them pack your bull out, but it might be better than the alternative.

good luck.

Thanks for the great input. I guess what brought on the trepidation was just what you said, listening to people talk about the good ol' days compared to now. But that doesn't really matter to me because I'm new to the state (and elk) so I'll just need to get out there and make it work.

Your point about packing out of the Frank is a good one and I don't think I'll try it by myself. Luckily I have a brother back in ND who's frothing at the mouth to come out for some elk hunting. I get an email every couple days asking if I have any more info on where to go, ha. We're both young-ish guys in decent shape so maybe we can take advantage of the back country where fewer hunters are willing to tread. Lot's of research left ahead to find a good spot.

Thanks for the insight. Your perspective was a help. I'm looking forward to wetting myself (don't say that too often) ;-)

they still bugle but are more cautious. island park is one of the better areas for getting a big bull (my opinion) but it is thick and sometimes hard to get on the elk. i quit hunting there 2 years ago because i was scared of the grizzlies to be honest. another tip, find a good water hole and sit down for a few days. also look into the tex creek. if you hike in a ways you should be able to find some good hunting. never hunted salmon but have heard good things just be sure you can hike steep nasty country. good luck

don't overlook some of the smaller less traditional elk areas. I have heard of guys hunting the desert and have seen some good bulls out there. Be aware of the grizzlies in Island Park. Went in there helping my dad hunt spikes in November and found griz sign. Luckily we never ran into the bear but they are there.

I hunted unit 27 going in at dagger falls twice once in 04 and again in 06.Sept of 04 was awesome hiking in we had 7 different bulls bugling around us we went in 8 miles set up camp and then went out for a evening hunt where my buddy shot a big 5 point as he tried to run us over. in 06 we tried to go in September again but the fires stopped that so we went for a November hunt.This time with Llamas & 5 hunters including my friend from 04.The first thing we noticed was the wolf tracks we followed into camp and the lack of rubs,elk tracks,crap,&just elk sign in general.the second day we found a small herd but ran out of time.The next day we went back and started tracking them and found out so had the Wolves all night and had chased them clean out of the country.The next three days where spent hiking 10-15 miles a day.No other elk sign was seen but every drainage had wolf tracks very discouraging.Needless to say I would avoid that part of the Frank Church area.Plus you gain 3000 feet in elevation in the first 3 miles not many people go back there for this reason.Good luck and welcome to Idaho!

As mentioned before, getting a dead elk out is a big consideration. Hiking a trail into the wilderness for 10 miles isn't all that tough, but getting 4 quarters of an elk out of some nasty canyon 10 miles in, early season when it may be 90 degrees without half of it rotting is something to consider.

Your success will have less to do with the unit you choose and more to do with getting into those areas that nobody else in their right mind would want to go.

Thanks everyone for the great info. It is most appreciated. I'll probably post updates when I've got more of the hunt nailed down.

I hunted 27 for elk last year in the cow/brow-tine bull tag. We killed two cows in country I knew. Lots of wolves,the elk are skittish and the country is steep. I wouldn't recommned an elk newbie going in there.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-24-10 AT 08:54PM (MST)[p] First I would start my search with hunting units that have controlled rifle tags, and unlimited archery. Then hit google earth, and purchase some topo software for your computer. That's a great way to find a spot.
Then buy some elk calls. Practice until you and everyone else's heads hurt, then practice some more. I prefer Bugling Bull game calls. These calls sound authentic and best of all they are made here in Idaho. Yes, elk are still vocal in Idaho in this age of wolves. But with that said you must stay mobile. I sometimes have to relocate my camp 15-20 miles from were I wanted to hunt, trying to find elk that will talk. But persistence pays off, and you will find screaming bulls. I prefer the last two weeks of Sept.in north Idaho for my calling success, but it can vary with region. Good luck.

www.elk101.com

"Winners make commitment, Losers make excuses.

Thanks for the advice and thanks for an EXCELLENT resource in your web site. I've read every post you guys put up there.

I've got a buddy who is as fired up for some back country bowhunting as I am so we're prepared for being light weight and moving to get where the elk are.

Still looking for the right area/zone. My brothers are coming over from ND for gun season and are expecting me to guide them (freeloaders, ha!) so the ideal zone would be one with open rifle as well. My first priority is good bowhunting though, so too bad for them. ;)

IFH

LAST EDITED ON Apr-12-10 AT 05:15PM (MST)[p]I am not a bowhunter but was a newbie myself here not all that long ago now, 2004. I do know quite a few who bowhunt and they all confirm how skittish the bulls are when they come in, very often they come in totally silent. What I do know is that you don't have to go into the Church to find elk. The wolves have them scared, but the elk are still here. You don't have to get as far as you might think to find elk, and most hunters are lazy so a few hard to travel miles away from easy access may be all you need. I find a lot of elk in the McCall, Weiser,and Sawtooth units and if you spend some time on Google Earth you might find some good holes near you.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom