Dillon area elk

Gator

Long Time Member
I'm looking for Information on the Elk hunt around Dillon, I have access to a ranch up that way for the Oct 2oth hunt date, Any help would be apreciated.
Thanks

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Joe
I don't know the owners I just happen to be in the right place to get inculded in the hunt by a very good friend.
But you can bet I will be talking to them or someone who know the ranch one way or another.
Right now I'm getting a feel for the area and it tells me that alot of bulls are taken, But a big bull is a 330 class and alot of bulls are 5x5 and 5x6 in the 280-300 class.

Lots of elk, lots of pressure, lots of access, lowest age class of bulls you can imagine.

I saw maybe 25-30 legal bulls in that area last year while hunting, and all but one was a 2.5 year old bull.

I only remember seeing one in the back of a pickup that was over 300, and he wasn't by much.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-16-12 AT 09:22AM (MST)[p]If your timing and location are on you can get into tons of elk down there,but as everyone stated its not trophy bull zone,just too much pressure.If you see a legal bull and it gets you excited take him,maybe they will invite you back next year and you can hold out for a wall hanger.

My bone is no stranger to
great envy!

I have heard that from just about everyone who PMed me that the bulls are under 300". But they do see alot of them and it a fun place to hunt.

Pretty much my opinion as well. Fun elk area. Lots of area around Dillion, nice country. Ive seen some good bulls but not the norm.

The ranch is Named Beaverhead Rock Ranch on Old Stage Rd.
Any one know the place or have information around it.
Thanks for all the help and information.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-23-12 AT 09:38AM (MST)[p]

Looks like it is just a guest ranch,they list several outfitters to contact,none of which are anywhere near that guest ranch...
http://goldwest.visitmt.com/listings/2909.htm
As you can see from this slideshow its a house next to a rock with I15 running right through the yard and they rent out their guest cabin to hunters,its for sale,and you going to have to find your own place to hunt.
http://www.fishingcabins.com/slideshow/phpslideshow.php?directory=.&currentPic=35
My honest opinion,if your going to spend the money to hunt elk in MT you can do way better on your own.If your an archery hunter look into the new 900-15 elk tag that covers several good areas in E MT,take a tent and at least camp out in the woods and make an experience out of it.

My bone is no stranger to
great envy!

one of the guys that is hunting with us is a relative.

Here is a pic of Beaverhead Rock I took in 2007.

HPIM0242.jpg

There may not be many elk on the ranch if its down low but the surrounding mountain ranges all have elk. I spent most of my time in the Tobacco Root Range and the Ruby Range. My buddy and I both took 5 pt bulls in the Tobacco Roots. We really like the Ruby Range and hunted there a lot too. If I ever go back I want to go into the Pioneer Range, I heard some good stuff about it.

We hunted there in 2006 & 2007, I know much could have changed since then, especially if the wolves are in the area now as bad as rumors say they are.

How the hunting up that way so far. Hope the hunting been good for everyone.

Best maps for the area.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom