Dilemma = Seeking Your Help & Experience

Jagerdad

Very Active Member
Dilemma

Many of you may have experience(s) that could help me. For once in many years, I think about Hunting every day. This is due to joining MM'eys and the warm welcome all of you have shown me.

My dilemma is, I have a dream to drive to several States this fall. I would like such travels to have alignments to Hunts, but that's to be determined. I first thought I would just drive my Truck but then worried about leaving equipment, maybe meat, out on a Hotel Parking lot. So I began looking at Trailers and even RV's. I want to spend $10,000 or less. Then when I see trailers with 12' expanding rooms, I see Family Trips. Then when I think of what my Wife would like, I see a large Diesel Pusher over $200,000..... "Yikes"...I do not want to buy such a vehicle....yet may, just not now.

My "Needs" in a Camping Trailer. I would like 1-2 roof air conditioners (1 is none, 2 is 1) with a safe heater. A Generator (Solar Panel's may be added later). A Roof satellite Dish w/ TV & Internet (Latter is a luxury but not for me). I would like it to be the lighter weight models. My Truck is a new 4 door 2015 Ford Lariat 4x4 all options but has the 5 1/2 short bed so I don't think it can do a 5th wheel. It has the hot 6 cyl double turbo and I remember the towing ability was above a V8's.

This seems to be as hard as deciding how large of a Boat to buy. I am, truly stumped and need help (and a butt-kick'en).

I still don't own an ATV. Always hiked. But need one now.

So, I know I am over thinking all aspects but how have you guys determined what right for, just you...?

You are going to need to look at a trailer that is light in weight so it will not over tax your truck engine on those long hill climbs. I would not go over a 20 foot trailer and look for one that will make you and the wife happy if you stay in it for 2 weeks or more while on trips.
I have towed a 24 footer for years but I have a F250 super duty P.U. with the 7.3 diesel engine with a power chip and after market exhaust system. I can accelerate up 5-6% grades while towing.
Your limit of 10 grand will knock you out of the market for most new trailers, but check around for a good quality used one. If you buy a used one, make sure to check everything in it to insure it is in working order. Also check the tires for the manufacture date. If they are 5 or more years old, you will need to buy new ones. Does not matter how much thread they have left. Over 5 years old means weak sidewalls from UV light and possible sidewall blowout when they get heated up on a long haul. Trust me on that one.
You might consider getting a camper shell for the P.U. for hauling game meat and a small generator for camping in areas where there is no power. Make sure the generator is rated powerful enough to run your air conditioner. On a 20 ft. trailer, one air conditioner is more then sufficient to keep the whole unit cool.
You can also look into R.V. rentals for the trip this fall without putting the big bucks down for a trailer that you decide has some shortfalls 4 months down the line.

RELH

Thank You

I was looking on: https://stockton.craigslist.org/search/rvs

There are many pages. I just don't know how long I may Live...... Maybe that's why I get wrapped around a post.

If I took the Wife on our first vacation in 38+ years of Marriage, I would fly to Germany and show her the sights I have on other trips when I took the two eldest. Imagine that, all those years and never a vacation together.

If I use the Trailer, it would be for me to travel with and maybe Dove Hunts with two youngest Daughters.

Your advice is solid. I shall keep at it. I am very glad we talked months ago. You're a good helpful Man.

Jagerdad

You can use a 5th wheel slider in your Short Bed so don't rule out a good 5th wheel trailer.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Thank You Sir but what is and how does a 5th wheel slider work...?

I remember before I bought the 2015 Ford F150 Lariet 4x4 6cyl double turbo, it was said to tow, I "Think" 11,000 lbs and easier than the V8's.

I should not be psycho frugal over money but a lifetime of living such a way makes it hard to spend $.

I REALLY DO Appreciate the responses. I am a neophyte and dumb in such matters.

Jagerdad

Been through the same dilemma, Jager. What can you get away without having but what is it that you really need? How will I pull this? How can I incorporate hauling my quad and have all the coolers I need to fit somewhere? My wife have all of these issues because she wants a trailer. The pop up isn't cutting it anymore for her. Its great for my hunting needs and I'm a simple man. I take a shower out of a bucket...that is inconceivable to her. :)

Whatever you get, it won't be perfect and exactly fit all of your needs. That's just life. I wish you luck on your road though.

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

Finally, someone is pulling me out of the House. My Daughters Boy Friend (He's 6' 8" and She's 5' 3") and I will drive to various vendors today. Maybe a folding bed camper is the trick..?
I just keep thinking about others and their needs. I will shop and the below youngsters will support/offer thoughts.
72277dscf0014.jpg

7606120160628175432.jpg

637720160628175426.jpg

I have in my mind that if I Pass-Away, I won't leave junk. If I leave a good Camper, "THEY" will enjoy it. See..???....I Think Toooo Much.

Jagerdad :)

That Future wanna-be Son-In-Law looks like He's perty Good Sized!:D

[font color="blue"]HUNTIN,FISHIN,AND LOVIN EVERY DAY,I WANNA SEE
THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

Pullrite has a hitch called the Super Glide that is a automatic slider, GOOD one to buy so later on they will be able to use because they don't have to pull levers or change setting it does it for you. I call it fool proof.

Yosemite is close and we have a Family Cabin there. Had my eldest Daughters Wedding by the Chapel.
I joked that after the Wedding we should claim to be Shia or Sunni's and fire AK47's in the air but was voted down. So much for Diversity...? :-(

I thank each of you for your helpful words. RELH, I never would have thought of looking for tire date. Renting a Trailer may be the smartest, You're the Man, Thank You.
Wiszard your words: "Whatever you get, it won't be perfect and exactly fit all of your needs. That's just life" makes a sobering thought of reality. I always used a tent. Left before dawn, returned after dark, Hunting my favorite way; Alone. The Tent was just a spot to flop. It was only appreciated on heavy rainy days so gear was dry. I was in a Pop-Up in Colorado and the propane tanks froze so the Heater never worked. I never used another since. I don't know or understand such cold weather matters.

Gator you really set me back. I spend endless hours on the below website then others, just learning. I learned I know zilch. :)

http://www.pullrite.com/products/super-glide-short-box-5th-wheel-towing/super-glide-12k
The 12K SuperGlide is designed specifically for the new "shorter than a short bed" trucks - like modern 1/2 ton trucks with beds shorter than 6 foot. It moves up to 22-?" while turning.

SuperGlide automatically moves the trailer away from the cab while making turns - allowing up to 90? turning without stopping, slowing down or even thinking about the space between the truck & trailer - and then automatically returns the hitch and trailer to the safe towing position over the truck axle when the turn is completed. See the video!

VIDEO..???.. = http://www.pullrite.com/products/super-glide-short-box-5th-wheel-towing/super-glide-12k

I own a Hitch, trailer repair and muffler shop. LOL
You can rent a RV and tow that ford with towbars(it will soon be use to it) J/K

On a 10k budget I'd rule out a 5th wheel, unless you want an older model. But, 10k should get you a pretty nice travel trailer, I'd look for one in the 24-26' range. Should be able to buy one up to maybe a 2008 or so in the price range.

A 5th wheel the same era will run you a couple grand more.

I pull a 27' 5th wheel, and have a similar truck to you, mine has the 6.5' bed though so I don't need the sliding hitch. Trailer weighs 9k hunt ready, and pulls like a dream!

2a0fcsk.gif

feddoc, the link you sent had me seeking things and I found RV Net's Trailer Life. Just as in Hunting we make improvements on our equipment and the bottom link shows a man rebuilding a key part of his Travel Trailer (TT) for a small amount of money and it makes a big difference. I never knew to "Look" for such things when shopping. I have spent time reading several forum subjects there and the bottom one has a "NEXT" showing 39 pages. Seems everyone never knew of such improvements and, although older in posts, it reflects new & used Travel Trailers for Hunting. Thank You feddoc.

I first went to this forum:
http://forums.trailerlife.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/26.cfm

And then this topic: Dexter HD Suspension & EZ-Flex Install (long w/ pictures) on/at the below link.

http://forums.trailerlife.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/21609645.cfm

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom