Digging dogs- HELP

blazingsaddle

I have two wiemerieners, they are great dogs. One is 6 and the other is 2. As of latley, they have started to dig in my yard. They are inside dogs, but when my wife and I are at work, they stay in the back yard.
I do not know how to stop them from digging. We have tried new toys in the back yard, getting after them when we see they have dug, tried rewarding them on the days they don't dig. Tried extra attention while we are home---still they dig. The holes are not against the fence as if they wanted to escape, but against the house, or in the garden.
Any ideas I could try? I know I can have two dogs that don't dig, other than the digging, they are incredible dogs.
HELP

Shove thier noses into the holes while you smack them on the ass hard a few times..Do mthis every time they dig.

horsepoop.gif

That doesn't work, I have a weimer and he does the same thing. I have tried about everything. I just hope he doesn't dig anything important, then back fill the holes later. I know not a good fix but all I got.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-11-08 AT 11:09AM (MST)[p]I just put in my backyard this spring and it already looks like hell, trails that are worn to the dirt, holes, dead patches of lawn, chewed up porch.... Man I love my dogs. I really wouldn't trade them for anything.
But there has to be a way to keep them from digging. We are about to find a dog trainer/wisperer to help.

Electronic shock collars work great just don't lean on the button too long. You must catch them in the act and nail them a few times and it will be over. Its my thinking the younger dog taught the older dog. Another thought is a small kennel 10x10 and give them a concrete floor.
driftersifter

Maybe they found HOFFA in your back yard? Hopefully you dont wake up one morning with a hand on the back step. The shock collars idea works posted above.

I dont meen to hijack the post but I am getting a new pup today and want to snake train him. A friend of ours told me he will catch a Rattlesnake and sew his mouth shut for me then put a shock collar on the dog, when he gets close hit the button. Does this work? I will post pics tomorrow. my wife is picking him up for me right about now.

I used to live on a ranch and the rancher and I shared yards. The claimed my lab was digging holes in their flower beds. I tied my dog in my yard and went to let him run for a while and low and behold the ranchers dog was digging. I called them and let them know and then beat the **** out of that dog and we have had no digging.

You must catch the dog in the act to discipline them or they do not know what they did wrong. The shock collar works great. I do not have one nor need one now but most of my friends have one and when used correctly they work great. Leave the dogs outside and watch them from the window. It might just be one of the dogs and not both.

I have seen two different methods that have worked. First, put there own poop in the already dug holes. That works for the most part until they figure out to just dig a different hole. If you keep on them by putting the poop in the hole every time my dog gave up.
The other is cutting their front nails really short. When they try and dig it hurts to much to dig. My dad did that and it worked great.

I might have to try the collar, or the nails. The hard part is catching them in the act. The poop in the old holes works great, but like you said they just dig another one else where.
Some days I can tell which dog it was by the dirt in the nails, but others I can't. Its hard to punish them hours after it was done, especially not knowing which one it was for sure.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-11-08 AT 04:03PM (MST)[p]Like others have said you have to punish them in the act or at least just a few seconds there after. Coming home hours later and punishing them does absolutely no good. The dog doesn't know what the punishment is for.

They are probably digging because they are bored. I have a flat coat retriever that does the same thing. It would probably make a big difference if you could take them out and exercise them before leaving them home alone.

I don't have the answer to the problem. I do, however want to thank you guys for this post.

My wife thinks MY dogs are psychotic gophers and the only dogs in the world that have ever destroyed a yard. She actually took my pillow outside and threw it in one of the holes.

I stopped my dogs from digging out under the fence with 300' of two wire electric fence placed 1 foot high and 1 foot inside the perimeter fence. That worked overnight.

Let me continue with cjboz's hijack.....Sorry, I can't help myself.

cjboz....catching a rattlesnake and sewing it's mouth shut sounds like an entirely unwholesome activity. You actually admit KNOWING someone who thought this up?

Don't get me wrong, I ain't raggin' on you, I just don't think you kids have thought this all out properly.

Let me see if I have this right.

You have a dog, who may or may not see a rattlesnake in the field in the next 13 years. You don't trust his natural instinct and intelligence to keep him safe.

So, you and a "Buddy"...two of the most intelligent (?) animals on earth, are actually going to find a rattler, and instead of chopping it's head off with a shovel, you amateur biologists are going to PICK IT UP and SEW it's mouth shut. Who's holding the head while the other guy sews? Charles Darwin wants to know.

Do you know if they have antivenom in your local ER?

All this so your dog won't go against his basic instincts and try to pick one up later.....on the rare chance he will ever even see a rattlesnake.

Be sure and videotape the ENTIRE event, so at least when everything "goes south", you may be elligible for the $100,000 prize on "Worlds Funniest Home Videos".

Might I suggest an alternative? You guys need to take turns wearing the shock collar and zapping each other, while reciting the phrase, "I will not play with rattlesnakes".....8 or 10 whacks apiece ought to reindex your thinking.

I cannot believe they don't have a fee for the entertainment provided by this website.

>You guys need to take
>turns wearing the shock collar
>and zapping each other, while
>reciting the phrase, "I will
>not play with rattlesnakes".....8 or
>10 whacks apiece ought to
>reindex your thinking.

ROFLMAO!!!!

Classic!!

Brahma

LAST EDITED ON Sep-12-08 AT 08:38AM (MST)[p]On the snake issue, catch a bull snake(gopher snake). It will do the same trick. I snake trained my dads dog with one. Get the snake a little irritated before you let the dog get after it. The bullsnake bit his dog 3 times before she decided snakes were bad news. Now cuts a real wide path around any snake she sees.

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?
1202707117883yj7.gif

Nickman- that is some funny stuff man. I thought the same thing when I read cjboz's post- just didn't articulate my horror as you did. Cracks me up.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-12-08 AT 11:05PM (MST)[p]I have two dogs in my backyard in a pen on concrete-no problem with them digging there. On another note I'm with nickman on the rattlesnake thing. Make sure and document the sewing of the mouth shut procedure with a good quality video camera so when it gets shown on the local news station ya all look good on TV. And you'll get listed as the newest Darwin Award winners. Do either of you have kids? I sure hope not and if you decide at some future date that you might want some, please visit the local sperm bank and find a donor with an IQ of at least 30 so that the kids are a little smarter than the parents. I like the shock collar idea and I own a couple that I might let you use on each other, I actually think that might work. Sorry to hijack the thread but the rattlesnake thing was just too funny.

Remember," I will not play with rattlesnakes, I will not play with rattlesnakes, I will not play with rattlesnakes"

My Brittney was a digger. He liked holes about a foot n ahalf wide and 6" deep. I tried several different things until a friend suggested that i put some of her dobermans poop, George and that dog did not get along, in the holes my dog had dug in the back yard.

While my dog, George, was away taking a ride with a buddy, i put several dumpings in each hole. When George got back into his yard, his back hair stood up, he got all stiff legged, was ready to fight, never forget the look on his face. Anyway, he stopped digging near as much and he pretty much filled in all the holes that he already had dug.

Joey

You folks that dont see the point in snake training a dog obviously dont chase quail in arizona. Coming across is far from a rare experience, more so a daily one and most bird dogs are NOT bred to know what a snake is, typically they get curious and nose it. as for doin it yourself probably not smart thier are alot of qualified live snake trainers that do it for bout 100 bucks. they milk and defang the snakes prior.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -- Abraham Lincoln

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom