Diesel trucks and puter chips

BuckSnort

Long Time Member
I don't want this to be a debate on who makes a better truck, frankly they are all crap for what we pay for them..

Having said that,here's my question..

I have a 06' Super Duty that got 17 mpg when I bought it new. Less than a year later it had a recall and Ford had to re-set the PCM perimeters (California smog bull crap) now it gets about 9 mpg!!

I have talked to Ford a few times about it,saying that its BS to pay $45,000 for a vehicle and have it get this kind of mileage. They basically told me there is nothing they will do for me and suggested I get a chip to get better MPG.

So I am thinking about a chip or a programmer...I just don't know anything about them..I just want to get my mileage back to stock or possibly better.

Any suggestions on which ones to get would be appreciated...I dont want to spend the $$ for a chip or programmer and have it not make my mileage any better...

gas.jpg

horsepoop.gif

Snort!!!

EDGE CHIPS ARE GOOD!!!

BULLYDOG CHIPS ARE GOOD!!!

BANKS MAKES SOME GOOD STUFF!!!

AS LONG AS YOU DON'T GET TOO WILD YOU SHOULD GAIN BOTH POWER & MILEAGE!!!

I'VE GOT A FRIEND THAT HAS AN 06 POWERJOKE & IT GETS 13 MPG EMPTY!!!

HE WON'T BUY A CHIP SO I GUESS HE CAN ENJOY THE 4.00+ PER GALLON EACH TIME HE GETS BENT OVER BY THE GOOD OLE US GOVERNMENT!!!

I LIKE THE 4 DOOR FORDS FOR THE ROOM & THEY'RE ACTUALLY QUIET AS A GAS TRUCK AFTER YOU GET THEM ROLLING BUT IN MY OWN OPINION THEY STILL AIN'T A CUMMINS!!!

I LIKE THE LOW END TORQUE OF A CUMMINS & ALSO THE MILEAGE!!!

HOWEVER THE MILEAGE ON ALL THE NEW SMOGGER DIESELS SUCK!!!

"IF I COULD BUILD A TRUCK FOR ME"!!!

1-CUMMINS DIESEL ENGINE "PRE-SMOGGER VERSION"!!!
2-DODGE 6 SPEED STICK TRANNY!!!
3-LOOKS & DURABILITY OF THE FORD "EXCLUDING THE POWERJOKE ENGINE"!!!
4-RIDE & DRIVE OF THE LOW SLUNG CHEVY'S & GMC'S!!!
5-3:73 OR 4:10 GEARS!!!

I LOOKED UNDER THE HOOD OF A BRAND NEW FORD THE OTHER DAY,WELL I'M GLAD I AIN'T THE ONE WORKING ON THAT,NOT AN EXTRA CUBIC INCH OF SPACE LEFT ANYWHERE!!!

FOR 50 FRICKEN GRAND YOU'D THINK THEY COULD DO BETTER ON THE FUEL MILEAGE AT 4.00 A FRICKEN GALLON ON THE BRAND NEW TRUCKS!!!

THERES A LOT OF GUYS AROUND HERE THINKING OF GOING BACK TO GAS RIGS!!!

PROBLEM IS!!!

PUT 25K POUNDS BEHIND THE GAS RIG & SEE HOW SHE PERFORMS!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

Agreed. Edge and I like the attitude controler.
However, if you think a chip or programer is going to get you back 8 MPG, your going to be disapointed.

Take a kid hunting. You will enjoy it more than they do!

Let me know what you decide to do and how it works. My diesel
is a powerjoke (2000). Love the truck, but wish it had a cummins motor. 15 mph is not good.

HEY WoodRuff!!!

15 MPH???

OR 15 MPG???

YOU'RE REALLY EMBARRASSING A BUNCH OF FORD GUYS & THE CHEV HEADS ARE LAUGHING TOO!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-23-08 AT 11:04PM (MST)[p]Thanks for the replies fella's.. I'm leaning towards the Edge products but there's so many choices..From $300-$1000..

All I care about is better fuel economy, extra power would be nice but I dont want to buy tires more often and break my tranny,etc...

This one cost more but does alot more...but besides it costing me more tires would it improve my MPG? http://www.edgeproducts.com/product...6.0L+Powerstroke+Juice+Platinum+with+Attitude

This one seems to bee just for basic fuel economy and is the one I'm leaning towards.. I just dont want to buy this and wish I would have spent a little more and got the one listed above..
http://www.edgeproducts.com/product...ge+Max&pvname=2003-2007+Ford+6.0L+Mileage+Max

Whatcha think?

horsepoop.gif

HEY Snort!!!

DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE POWERJOKES!!!

BUT I LIKE A CHIP ON A DODGE THAT INCREASES THE HP BY 100 HP & 200 FT LBS OF TORQUE!!!

ITS USEABLE POWER AND IT DOESN'T HURT THE ENGINE!!!

YOU CAN EASILY TAKE EM UP TO 700 HP,BUT THE TRUCK IS NOT AS USEABLE & YOU GET IN TO PROBLEMS SUCH AS OVERHEATING BOTH THE TURBO & THE ENGINE,BUSTING TRANNY'S & ETC!!!

I DON'T THINK THE CHEAPER CHIP (25 HP!!!) IS GONNA DO MUCH FOR YOU???

A 25 HP INCREASE AIN'T MUCH OF A GAIN!!!

BUT I'LL GUARANTEE YOU IF YOU INCREASE THE POWER BY 100 HP & 200 FT LBS OF TORQUE YOU'LL KNOW YOU LIVENED THAT POWERJOKE UP!!!

QUESTION THOUGH???

YOU GONNA BE ABLE TO KEEP YOUR FOOT OUT OF IT IF YOU GO WITH THE BIGGER CHIP???

YOU RUNNING AN AUTOMATIC OR STICK???

47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

Have the Edge Juice with Attitude in my 7.3 powerstroke and 6.6 duramax. Love the system. Quickly adjusts to smoke a smart a$$ kid to towing a goose neck and farm impliment. I got 2 more MPG out of the Ford and 3 out of the Chevy (empty).

The second Edge system you posted said in then description that it will increase MPG up to 7% and the Juice did a little better than that for me. But neither one is real significant.

I agree the Edge juice with attitude is the way to go, I didn't pick up a bunch of mileage but a little. if you're only getting 8 mpg I'd make sure they didn't screw something up that's the worst I've ever heard of .

Remember most dealers, Ford anyway, will flag your computer if you take it in with a chip in it and void your warranty on anything that could be effected by the chip. my dealer told me if I'm ever on the road and need to get something looked at to remove the chip first.

Thank y'all for your input, I'm starting to lean towards the Juice/Attitude..

Bobcat, after a week or so I should be able to keep my foot out of it..:)

dude, Some CA trucks had a recall and they had to re-work the PCM perimeters for CA emissions bullchit. My truck was one of them..I went from 17-18 mpg down to 8....The head service guy at the dealership told me to get a chip and said it wouldnt void my warranty.

I am thinking (hoping) that even on setting 1 of this system that my truck will perform like it did stock before the de-tuning and that my MPG will be at or near 17-18 again..

horsepoop.gif

I had an Edge Juice with Attitude in the 2000 F-250 I sold a few months ago. I personally didn't like it. The power gains were minimal and the mpg gain wasn't much if any. If I did it again I would buy gauges for the A pillar and get a chip or flash programmer from DP Tuner: http://www.dp-tuner.com/

The two biggest things that helped my truck was a different air intake and exhaust so you may want to consider those. BTW don't screw around with aluminized exhaust if you plan to keep the truck for an extended amount of time.

One thing to consider is all the diesel mfg's are cracking down on warranty claims for trucks with any performance modifications. Ford is especially tough on the 6.0 since it has been an albatross of sorts from the beginning. I would recommend getting a flash program so you can switch back to stock when taking it in for any service.

With all that being said don't expect a big increase in fuel mileage no matter what anyone says more power leads to a heavier foot!

"I am thinking (hoping) that even on setting 1 of this system that my truck will perform like it did stock before the de-tuning and that my MPG will be at or near 17-18 again.."

Buck, again, that is not going to happen! 3 MPG at best.

>"I am thinking (hoping) that even
>on setting 1 of this
>system that my truck will
>perform like it did stock
>before the de-tuning and that
>my MPG will be at
>or near 17-18 again.."
>
>Buck, again, that is not going
>to happen! 3 MPG at
>best.
>

The best gains I have heard of come from DP Tuner, but doubling your mileage is pushing it that's for sure.

Just to clarify my thought on the the Edge system. It does not reprogram you ECU it merely overrides certain parameters. For the best gains in hp, torque, and mpg go with something else otherwise you are using the same Ford programming with a few tweaks.

they have talked and talked on thedieselstop.com about reflash of the computer and mileage going in the toilet.
You won't get it back with a tuner or a chip.

(Recall Number and Description: 05E16 - Engine Control Recalibration OBD2)

I am hoping that with a tuner or a chip it will over-ride the input when they flashed the computer for recall and I can expect to at least see the mileage (17-18 mpg)that I had before they messed w/ it.

horsepoop.gif

search thedieselstop.com in the 6 litre section for mileage loss and the 6 litre reflash.

I recall them talking about trying to restore the puter to pre flash state but I don't remember if it was successful.

What Bob said. Even if you have to bribe the dealer, get it back to original. I just got a recall notice on my 2000 with 250,000 miles. I threw it away.

WapitiBob, thanks for the info...I'm having a hard time deciding which way to go.. The edge has push button as your driving option..And the EGT guage is already in the panel where as the flash programers don't have one..

Califelk,

My recall was mandatory. If I didnt have it done I wouldn't have been able to register it (only a few 06' models with this problem)

horsepoop.gif

I've used chips and plug-in programmables and have had no luck with either of them! Spent a lot of money on them as well as air in-take bullchit and didn't gain a thing. I think they help some vehicles but not others. I don't know why. I won't waste my money on that stuff anymore.

Steve

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom