Desert Ram

T

TOOTHandTINE

I'm intrested in hunting a big old desert ram. Unfortunatly I live in Canada, so I was wondering if anyone could point me out in the right direction. Which state would you guys start putting draws in for,whats the average year priorty to get drawn . How does your draw system work (I heard you have to pay like $500 to apply???), and when is the deadline to apply. I don't know if I want a guided hunt, it depends on the price. Any Info would be very much appearciated.

Thanx T&T

Your draw tag odds will be under 1% and closer to 0.1% in each state that offers a non-resident desert tag. If you apply in every state for the next 30 years then the odds are you still will not draw. Lots of potential hunters applying and only a few tags each year. Add in predation and disease and odds are generally getting worse for desert bighorn than better.

Apply and you might get a tag but odds are against you and me and each applicant.

Raffle odds are worse than draw odds but there are raffles out there.

You can buy a desert tag at auction if have $80,000 or so laying around burning a hole in your pocket.

Otherwise, enter some draws and buy a raffle ticket becasue someone is going to get a desert sheep tag!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-30-09 AT 00:20AM (MST)[p]California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas,
Colorado and Mexico are your choices....

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

T & T

The best "one stop shopping" source that I have found is;

Huntin'Fool AKA Carter's Hunter Services
PO Box 250
Cedar City, Utah 84721 USA
phone 435-865-1020

For a reasonable annual membership fee you can get ALL the info on big game throughout the western USA and more ie; odds, fees, deadlines, quality, success rates etc. This info comes in a timely manner complete with great hunting stories and cool photos!
This is a good first step, then APPLY, APPLY, APPLY! (or go to a Wild Sheep Banquet and bid on a sheep tag)(or go to Mexico).
NO, I'M NOT WORKING FOR THEM! I just think that over the years the info that I've received has been worth the price of admission.

Zeke

Desert Sheep ??? then make Nevada your #1 choice.One of the largest herds in ANY state.Some units have as many as 3 N.R. tags each year.Then apply for Cali's and Rockies on same application.Applications due in mid April --- Good Luck www.silvergrandoutfitters.com

>LAST EDITED ON Nov-30-09
>AT 00:20?AM (MST)

>
>California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico,
>Texas,
>Colorado and Mexico are your choices....
>
>
>great post/pic, thanks for sharing
>
>JB
>
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

colorado is only open to residents

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom