Desert Mammoth hit the dirt!

Dr_Hunter

Very Active Member
Wow. What a weekend it was for us. I finally have time to sit down and post some pics of our hunt. We went home eating tag soup the first weekend because we were too picky, and almost didn't make it out again. Luckily, we followed our gut feelings and made some time to get out. This is what my Dad got.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/3759dad\'s_monster_006.jpg

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/2518dad\'s_monster_022.jpg

This was my Dad's first antelope, and the first big game animal I have seen my Dad shoot. He would rather watch me shoot, and has always made sure that I have the best chance and opportunity. Well. . . not this year. It was his turn.
Note: I wish we would have kept our fluorescent orange vests on for the pictures. They were insulated for the cold mornings and were unbearable at the time.
I am at work for the next week and will try to get a story up when possible.
Congrats Dad.

Wow, congrats to you and your dad. That is a great buck. I guess it is a good thing you guys made a second trip out. What unit? What State?

borntohunt

DR. Hunter....remove these symbols and repost that is why it probably is not showing up on here.

\'s

Just put the "s" after dad and then it should work.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Alright, I will try again. So here is the story:
Our quest to kill a monster begins back in 2008 when I drew the Plateau unit tag. A good friend recommended that I try for the Plateau rather than wait forever to draw the Snake Valley. This was our first experience hunting antelope. I bought a couple of DVD's on field judging, read some books and frequented the MM's ?Antelope section,? to get antelope hunting in my blood. We did a few summer scouting trips and learned the Plateau unit very well. We found three nice bucks that we would shoot if presented the opportunity on opening morning. The biggest we guessed to be 73? and the smallest was just shy of the 70? mark but had some cool character. I ended up choosing the smallest because of the pictures I got of him on the hoof. We watched him bed down that night and after an hour stalk in the morning he took a dirt nap.

6182dscn2168.jpg

691dscn2176.jpg

In 2009 my Dad drew the Plateau unit tag. We had heard that they combined the early and late season hunts and increased the total number of tags given. In addition, a good friend of mine drew the Plateau tag with only one point. After 5 years of waiting, I didn't want to share a LE hunt with over 300 other people. I convinced my Dad to surrender his tag and we would hunt with my friend. He was reluctant to turn in his tag but did it and ate the money. We had a great hunt with my friend and saw some good bucks. After a few days of scouting, we found the one we wanted. Opening morning we found him bedded down with his does and another nice buck. He had a yellow collar and made it easy for us to identify. As the sun started to creep up we heard what sounded like I-15 traffic and looked off in the distance at the Loa Hwy and saw the caravan of road hunters beginning their hunt. A couple parked about a mile below us and another decided to bushwack it, leave the hwy and create his own trail only a few hundred yards from us. He parked just South of us. The frustration was building up. The number of hunters made me feel like I was shopping at Walmart the night before Thanksgiving. The antelope began to get restless and started moving around. My friend had a great opportunity to take him at 80yds. Our preparation and planning worked out despite all of the commotion from everybody else. Long story short, we got him, but due to my friends poor shooting, and the buck's elusiveness our hunt didn't end until just before dusk.

1654dsc00817.jpg

After the fiasco last year on the Plateau their was no way I would experience a LE hunt like that again. I did some research in the B&C book, as well as on MM's. Thanks to some good advice from the MM community, we decided to put in for a different unit.
This year we began our summer scouting trips earlier in the summer since we were both somewhat unfamiliar with the unit. Again, the MM community gave me a few pointers and suggestions. A good friend of mine down in Enoch, Reggie, went on a long 120+mile scouting trip that covered a lot of the Southern end of the unit. After the trip, I was somewhat satisfied with what we had seen. Our first choice was a funky antelope with one horn going straight over his face.
I talked with another friend at AAA Taxidermy who was very familiar with the area and had a friend kill a monster there in 2009.
We checked out some additional places and we felt that we could get a 75?+ antelope. That was our goal, 75?+. We had already found four that would meet or pass that mark.
As the hunt approached we set out some trail cameras at some guzzlers to see what was coming in. To our surprise we found one of our choices ?Desert Mammoth.? We found him earlier in the week but about a mile and a half or so further from this particular guzzler. Surprisingly, he looked a lot bigger and better in the picture than he did through the scope.

So let's have a little fun with the pictures. Judging him from the pictures, what is his score? Is he a shooter?

2059sw_desert_023.jpg

1300sw_desert_027.jpg

Pretty good Davtaiv, I wish I had birds like that. I'll post some more pics.

"Half of being smart, is knowing what you're dumb about."

LAST EDITED ON Oct-03-10 AT 02:35PM (MST)[p]Here he is all caped out. I love these pictures. It was an incredible experience watching this goat go down, but what made it even better was sharing it with my Dad.
There was no ground shrinkage with this guy. We guessed him to be an 80-81" buck. Boy were we surprised when we walked up on him.

4895dads_monster_022.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom