Denver and Tebow - Final Thoughts

Roy

LAST EDITED ON Jan-14-12 AT 11:12PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-14-12 AT 11:01?PM (MST)

Truth is - and if you really understand the NFL you will admit it - the Broncos have been playing with "house money" since the Dolphins game. This season exceeded so many expectations and in no way am I disappointed as a fan. I still hold my reservations on Tebow, but he has earned the right to compete for the job next year.

He has definitely proven two things. First, he CAN be a big-time passer in the right situations. 316 yards against the Steelers is not a fluke, but a consequence of circumstanes created by the way the defense was reacting to the run-threat. He just needs to do this CONSISTENTLY, especially on 3rd downs. He needs to move the chains and put it in the end zone. If he does that, he can move mountains in the league.

Second, he has proven he can lead a team and knows how to win. No question about it. The team played their hearts out for him and they are on the right track. They are young, the defense is great, the offense is developing and will only get better. Next year will be exciting for sure.

At least this year he will get an off-season. Those OTA's and mini-camps will be key for him, especially as he will be getting starter type reps with the full attention of the QB coach and OC. He is intelligent enough to see and know where ...he needs to improve, and he will, the question is how much.

Once you have a throwing motion like that it is not something you can really change. He has tried before with little success. He needs to hit routes like that 15 yard quick-out and the quick sit downs over the middle (which he has been throwing into the turf) with precision. He is great at the deep lobs after coverage has broken down and the receiver is already open. Watch Brees, Brady, Rogers, and the Manning brothers, they throw the ball long before the receiver is open. Hell, even Alex Smith was doing that tonight. A lot of that is just instinct, not sure you can teach that.

And that is where the statistical comparisons between Tebow and Elway breaks down. Elway had poor stats his first year, comparable to Tebow's really, but we KNEW he could and WOULD make those throws and had the arm to get it WHEREVER on the field he needed it. Honestly, can we really say that about Tebow?

Are we ever going to be able to? Not in that sense.

He is like the little girl with the curl. When is is good, he is very, very, very good. When he is bad, he is horrible.

He has tremendous intangibles and upside POTENTIAL that still needs to be realized. The downside however, is a sheer drop-off. He has the potential to be historically bad. I don't think you could ever have said that about Elway, so you can stop that comparison right there. Tebow needs to be judged against Tebow - his best against his worst. He needs to be measured against what he SHOULD be doing as an NFL QB at this point in his development. Remember, NFL does stand for "Not For Long" - so I think he is going to be on a shorter leash than the fans will want. There is too much money tied up in his contract to not meet expectations and still expect to stay around as the Denver QB just because he is a "great guy". There are a lot of "great guys" who no longer play in the NFL becuase their skills just don't measure up.

The hope I have for him is that he will be able to adapt enough to this type of game in order to be efficient enough when he needs to be. He needs to be able to move the chains with the power running game and option attack and still be able to hit those big plays off play-action,and even off of the option attack, though Belichick demonstrated how you beat that - in a big way.

Props to the Patriots, they are flat out good. I think they stand a chance of winning the Super Bowl this year. Brady is probably the best QB ever when you stack it all together.

Whether or not he ever pans out as a long-term success as an NFL QB, I can honestly say I love Time Tebow as an individual. He has convinced me it is not an act. He is genuine. Read this:

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7455943/believing-tim-tebow

You will believe too.

Win or lose, through the heartbreak of three horrible Super Bowl loses and the jubilation of two in a row, you can say what you want, but I will still LOVE MY BRONCOS!! (You just won't see me posting a thread every year, about a month before the season starts, that says THE BRONCOS WILL WIN THE SUPER BOWL THIS YEAR!)
Burnin' up don't know just how far that I can go, soon be home only just 4 downs to go, I can make it I know I can! You broke the boy in me but you won't break the man! I can see a new horizon blazin' on the Mile High. I'll be where the eagle's flyin' higher and higher! Gonna be your man in motion, all I need's my Broncos team take me where my future's lyin' Tim Tebow's Fire! GO BRONCOS!

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

First, I will say he is a tremendous person and a winner in life.

Not including the emotion. If I had a choice he would not be my starting QB. It is a pass happy league and he is not pass happy QB. He caught a lot of teams off guard this year as there was no tape. Next year it won't happen. I would love to have him on my team for certain situations but not as my starting QB. He got exposed last night in the areas he is lacking in my opinion. Hard to overcome them.

This is a debate that will go on and on and have a million opinions and there is no reason to argue. You like him or hate him. I like him as a person and will leave it at that.

I agree little joe but would add that I think an offseason working on his weaknesses with his team and coaches could do a ton of good. I don't think you ever make a pro bowl stereotypical QB out of the kid but with an offense built around him and quality defense I think you can do well and maybe great.

I think the biggest challenge will be a backup QB, who can step into an offense built around his style and strengths and succeed?

You cannot argue the kids heart and character but you have to remember its about football and winning games. Its also about putting butts in seats so he does that so far, but if they start the season 0-4 what will happen?

Bill

Kill the buck that makes YOU happy!

Here is the deal the broncos are not a very talented team compared to many other NFL teams not very well coached either . What happened was fun football at times because of the drive and leadership by a very completive tebow.
The pla calling on passing plays sucked most of the time . Receivers were seldom open and many many dropped passes. Is Tim he pretty pocket passer he'll no . McCoy style offense didn't work and the pass protection failed more often than not .
If they improve the o line and get one more good receiver and change the play calling to get them open this team can and will go all the way from determination alone . That said the o line is young so maybe they are better next year
As fa as a class act yes hat he is no other player does what he does for those less fortunate . The haters will always be there but you don't here this man call names or get into the negative crap . Never heard him say queers are bad or nothing

He CAN be a big time passer? Because he had 1 good game against the steelers who were without their starting safety? Dan Orlovsky came into a game for the colts replacing Curtis Painter, who replaced Kerry Collins, who of course replaced Peyton Manning and Orlovsky threw 30-37 for 353 yards! I guess he's a big time passer too because he's done it....once. Tebow is a great guy, a hard worker, and an inspiration to everyone around him. Bottom line, he is not a quarterback. Plain and simple. If I was a Denver fan, I would not want him as my QB, but I wouldn't hesitate to have him on my team.

Damn South, that was hard to read.

I'm undecided about Tebow, but I think I would like to see him return. He has made it extremely fun to watch the Broncos this season. Yes, making the playoffs was a fluke, but who cares? It was fun watching Horn_Puke's Raiders lose and watching that whiney azz Rivers go home early. Sure, we didn't beat one of the best QB's in history with a hall of fame coach in the playoffs, but neither did Elway beat Montana in a certain 55-10 loss in a Super Bowl. I'm pretty sure I didn't see him in the defensive secondary either last night. He has a lot to learn, but I love watching him run. As a fan, he put my butt in the seat. With a good off season, he could be an electrifying QB next year, whether we make the playoffs or not.

He gave Denver a better season than they deserved or what they were qualified to have.

It was not his QB skills, rather an intangible that he brought to the team.

He will be back next year making the Broncos owners lots of money and most likely improving his skills as well.

Actually......Tebow not only went farther than ANYONE game them a chance for...but now he went as far in the playoffs as Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees!!!!!!

As a matter a fact...he won more playoff games that both of them combined this year!! Tebow 1-1.....both Rodgers and Brees 0-1...

LMAO!!!!! :)

Fact are fact, Elway says he and Tebow will be working in the off-season to help Tim get better I think you will see a better QB next year by far.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

>He CAN be a big time
>passer?

Yes but as I said - in CERTAIN SITUATIONS. The circumstances required to create those situations however are extraordinary. That is my point, he can only do it when coverages break down or if the defense is oversold on the run. I actually think we are in agreement.

Because he had
>1 good game against the
>steelers who were without their
>starting safety? Dan Orlovsky
>came into a game for
>the colts replacing Curtis Painter,
>who replaced Kerry Collins, who
>of course replaced Peyton Manning
>and Orlovsky threw 30-37 for
>353 yards! I guess
>he's a big time passer
>too because he's done it....once.

Good point - and exactly what I am saying. Even Orlovsky knows that he needs to do this CONSISTENTLY over a long period of time to be a sustainable option at QB.

> Tebow is a great
>guy, a hard worker, and
>an inspiration to everyone around
>him.

Which is why he is going to get more chances than guys like Orlovsky. But remember NFL does stand for NOT FOR LONG. I think he has earned a shot to keep the job but his leash is short.

Bottom line, he
>is not a quarterback.
>Plain and simple. If
>I was a Denver fan,
>I would not want him
>as my QB, but I
>wouldn't hesitate to have him
>on my team.

I still like him as the H-Back/Wildcat/Change-of-pace option. But that would create a ton of work for the rest of his teammates. They would essentially be running two offenses. Not sure you can do that for a long time either.

Burnin' up don't know just how far that I can go, soon be home only just 4 downs to go, I can make it I know I can! You broke the boy in me but you won't break the man! I can see a new horizon blazin' on the Mile High. I'll be where the eagle's flyin' higher and higher! Gonna be your man in motion, all I need's my Broncos team take me where my future's lyin' Tim Tebow's Fire! GO BRONCOS!

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

My thoughts on the Broncos are that they need to fire John Fox. He makes the worst play calls and lets the direction of the game decide how he will call the game which is easily predicted for any good team as demonstrated on Saturday. The Steelers game did not open up until Tebow tried (and completed) a couple 50 yard passes. How many did they try against the Patriots...? Maybe 1. He is a bad coach.

Roy, you seem to have been very harsh om Tebow right from the first. Is it that you were wrong about him that keeps you harping on the guys present limitations?

Great Pro QB's don't grow on trees as you know. The guy is a proven Winner, he gives it his all, and has certain qualities that seem to be infectious in liking him. Take that, along with a play-off year, and it's a no-brainer that he should be welcomed back next season with fully open arms yet you sound uncertain still.

The guy is a winner, you sound so the whiner, yesterdays loss was certainly not Tebow's fault. Give the dude a break, IMO, he's earned it!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Jan-16-12 AT 10:36AM (MST)[p]First and most important he is a great role model for kids to start to immulate. He is just what the NFL needs.

He will end up being a good pocket passer and a great NFL quarterback. Leave him alone and let him develope. Work on staying in the pocket, reading defenses, he has the intagables that most quarterbacks never have. HE KNOWS HOW TO WIN AND MAKE PEOPLE AROUND HIM BETTER. Time will tell....I am a fan of grat atheletes no matter what sport.

Tebow brings so much more to football then just being a quarterback. The NBA and baseball both need more players like him. He makes you root for him because he has character and morals.

Oh, I forgot to mention??? He doesn't play defense!!! 45 point isn't his fault.

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

Joey - Yes I was harsh on Tebow, but I give credit where credit is due. Yes he is a winner, this year.

Can he sustain it?

Sure hope so.

I love the Broncos and he is fun to cheer for. BUT, if you have read my comments at all, you will see my position hasn't changed much at all. I do believe he is on a SHORT SHORT rope because he lacks the basic necessary skills to play the position and be successful in the long term. He could prove me wrong, but overall my position hasn't changed. I said he sucks at the very beginning and guess what, besides one game (point made above), he still does. The stats don't lie, and you can't hide behind a few great moments for too long.

You are right - football is the ultimate team sport and the Broncos won and lost as a team. That defense, which was stellar and a key in the win streak and in the Steelers game, just gave up 45 points to Tom Brady, (35 in the first HALF!). Tebow had no control over that. His receivers dropped balls they shouldn't have, the play calling was bad at times and Tebow couldn't repeat his performance from the week before.

That is the thing with Tebow, when he is great, he is phenomenal, but when he is bad, he is the worst player on the field. A great football team is only as good as its weakest link and to have that weakest link at the most important position is unacceptable. But if they keep winning, who am I to argue? Quite the connundrum.

Dismal team loss, but expected. The Broncos exceeded all expectations a log time ago. Not whining at all, but I am a realist and I haven't sold out 100% on the hype.

To argue that the team should keep him just because he puts butts in the stadium is stupid though. Mile High always sells out, and Denver is one of the few small market teams that really sell well throughout the whole country. Give them a great QB and they will be back winning Super Bowls, which is the ultimate goal, isn't it?

HOOK 'EM!

Roy, You are probably old enough to Remember Kenny Stabler for the Raiders. This guy Tebow reminds me of Stabler, when he was younger. Not so perfect as a passer but always seeming to get it done when it needed to.

Well anyway, not my main thing, just commenting on what i see.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Tebow plays a lot better when there play calling is aggressive, they went 3 games playing not to lose. They traded away there best reciever as he was named the starter. They need to up grade the wrs and te's to help him out.

Joey - you bet I remember Kenny Stabler. And one of the things I remember well about him was that he could throw a tight spiral that got there in a hurry and though he started out as a scrambling mobile QB, he really only acheived NFL greatness when he became a drop-back passer and was one of the innovators of the NFL passing game we know today. How do you think the names Cliff Branch, Fred Bilenikoff, and Dave Casper became so famous? Because he THREW the ball to them - they lit it up. He could also read a defense like nobody ever before him. He KNEW when his receivers were going to be open and put it there before they were.

Watch Tebow's ball. It is a wobbly duck on every single throw except the deep lob. He has primarly only hit receivers who are already open. The 15 yard out, the 10 yard sitdown, the 5 yard cross which are bread and butter for Peyton and Eli, Rodgers, and Brees are just not consistent weapons in Tebow's aresenal yet. I believe he can get there. But we will see.

Other that that, I can see your comparison, Stabler always brought the team back in the 4th quarter. Gene Upshaw said this about him: "When we were behind in the fourth quarter, with our backs to our end zone, no matter how he had played up to that point, we could look in his eyes and you knew, you knew, he was going to win it for us. That was an amazing feeling."

Tebow is a lot like that, and I admire that quality in him. I just think that that is his only real weapon and I am not quite sure he will ever get to the same level of Stabler and the likes as a passer. If he can win games without getting there I am all for it, I just don't think it is realistic. It is up to Tebow to exceed my expectations for him.

HOOK 'EM!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-16-12 AT 09:24PM (MST)[p] Yeah, good stuff Roy! I got Stabler as one of my all time favorite Qb's, most have him just outside that list, but he sure didn't start out as one. Not sure but Stabler is probably in the football HOF, If not, he should be. I sure don't know that Tebow will ever get to that level, statistics are against that happening, but i do see some similarities in him to the young Stabler before he became the man, late in a game, when the chips were down, and the pressure at it's highest.

If i had a team, I'd love to have this young man be it's future leader and i'd draft, at least this next draft, to address other more pressing concerns. Build him, shape him, his talents and wisdom will progress. Again, the guy is a proven winner. Good luck with your teams in the playoffs!

Go 9'ers!!

Joey

just out of curiosity, roy, did you ever play in the NFL? what about NCAA football?

just seems that anyone making such " i know what i'm talking about" statements must have played some upper level ball.

i agree AND dis- agree with you.

i deffinatly see the floating ducks he throws most of the time.
i deffinatly see the missed short level passes.

BUT- show me a first year quarterback that has stepped into a losing team and didn't look a little bad?

sam bradford? he looks like a total bust this year-( i dont think he is, just a bad year for the rams)

jamarcus russel? #1 pick? best up and coming qb the NFL has ever seen? ( do i need to say more?)

Kyle orton? played for the same team and basically couldn't win a game , but yet doesn't get near the hassle tebow does.

what about Mark Sanchez? that guy cant throw a ball, that guy doesn't win games for his team, he misses wide recievers as much as tebow does?

how bout Tevaris Jackson? what does he have?
will christian ponder win more games than tebow next year?-- i'll bet you money he dont!

who even playes Q.B. for the dolphins?

lets see, Colt Mckoy sure looked great this year didn't he?

there are alot more you could add to this list.

why is TEBOWS leash any shorter than these guys? HE'S A FIRST YEAR QUARTERBACK!
ALL QUARTERBACKS need time to develope, only a very small % of them can win games while doing so.

i'll bet if the colts drop manning, and draft luck, and both tebow and luck start 16 games next year, TEBOW will win more games than luck.

end the end, tebow is alot like elway ( in just this way) down the road, he could put 3 championship rings on the wall, and a ton of people will still never give him any credit.

I feel people over obsess with Tim Tebow the person and overlook his true football intangibles. I personally am surprised that he came in and won as many games as he did. The guy plays to win and thats obvious... Is he solely responsible for Denver winning games? I believe not. I feel Denver's team as a whole dug themselves out by improving on all sides of the ball. I personally feel he is a BELOW average starting Quarterback. The obvious reasons have been already stated above... I feel he has critics because of his blown out of proportion hype... I feel first year starting quarterbacks such as Andy Dalton and Cam Netwon have much more promise as NFL quarterbacks than TIm Tebow... just my .02

Ok all you haters... Tell me this. How many, of the current elite NFL QBs' have had a better record than Tim Tebow after there first 15 career starts?

If Eli Manning can win a Superbowl then IMO so can Tebow eventually...I've thought he was awesome since I started watching him at Florida...all the dude does is win win win. I didn't expect him to win the Patriots but it's not like he's on a great team right now...switch he and Tom Brady teams and see who wins!!

~Z~

LAST EDITED ON Jan-17-12 AT 09:23AM (MST)[p]>just out of curiosity, roy, did
>you ever play in the
>NFL? what about NCAA football?

No NFL - but I did play 2 years of NCAA football at Southern Utah University. I never made it off the scout team and had to quit before I got any real opportunities to play but what does that have to do with anything anyway? Am I not allowed to understand football unless I played in the NFL or NCAA DI (now FBS)? I know what I am talking about because I have been a devoted student of the game (not just a casual fan), player, coach, and amateur analyst for over 30 years. Besides that, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

But to be truthful, what I am saying is not too much of a stretch, it doesn't take much besides some objective analysis to figure it out. All I am saying is just look at the statistics. You make some good points about all those young QB's, yeah they looked bad at times, but they all looked like they could play the game if they continue to develop. And that is precisely what I am saying about Tebow, just that he has a lot more to develop! And guess what - it is the NFL - they are ALL on a short leash - that's the point!! You win or you don't have a job. PERIOD. If Tebow keeps winning, no one will care. I just don't think the zone read option offense will work week in and week out against today's NFL defenses. Look at how the Patriots stopped it.

First - Vince Wilfork absolutely stuffed up the middle of the line. He could not and would not be moved. The rest of the New England D-line followed suit. There were no running lanes period, this allowed the linebackers to flow freely and stuff whatever holes opened up outside. They did not overrun and allow for cutbacks, but played patiently but got to the ball in a hurry. Denver's power rushing attack was nullifed. So they went to the zone-read. What happened there. Same thing, the ends covered the QB and were athletic enough to cover the pitch man too, they never let them get enough separation to be successful with it. They stretched it out and played sideline to sideline and beat them with athleticism and back side flow. That forced Tebow to throw. They kept up a good cover 2 - didn't get sucked in to man because they didn't have to over-protect against the run, disguised their blitzes a little more intelligently and when the game was essentially over - just before halftime Tebow was 2/15. That's what NFL defenses will do to the option attack. It is pretty easy to defend when it comes down to it.

But even Tebow's ineptness in that first half wouldn't even be the problem really, a lot of QB's do that once in a while. But, Tebow does it EVERY GAME. And when he does, guess what - the Broncos don't win or if they do, it looks improbable. Becuase it is. Look at the numbers. Look at the statistics. I am not saying that Tebow can't overcome that - but at some point, we will all have to accept the fact that he is what he is. And what he is is NOT AN NFL PASSING QB.

>end the end, tebow is alot
>like elway ( in just
>this way) down the road,
>he could put 3 championship
>rings on the wall, and
>a ton of people will
>still never give him any
>credit.

If he does get 3 rings he will get the credit (and I will be the first one to cry tears of jubilation and triumph when Elway holds up that trophy and says "This one's for Tim!") - don't worry about that, just like he got most of the credit for the win streak this year. If that is your argument, you just aren't paying attention. But ultimately it is not about credit, success, or wins, it is about skills. Tebow just doesn't have them right now and unless he develops them quickly, he won't have this kind of success for long. Believe me, I am a fan of Tebow! I let my kid wear a Tebow jersey and post pics of himself "Tebowing" (not praying mind you) on Facebook. I get the hype, I love the hype, and I celebrate the Broncos season. I am just not buying into it!

I want the Broncos to continue to win and I am not sure the intangible skills of leadership that Tebow brings to the team are strong enough to overcome his lack of tangible skills.

So yeah, with Orton the Broncos started the first five games of the season 1-4 (and don't tell me Orton didn't get knocked around for that - he LOST HIS JOB FOR PETE'S SAKE!), then Tebow came in, the team started playing better, they made the playoffs (backed in becuase both the Chargers and the Raiders completely self-destructed) and won one of the most spectular games in NFL Playoff history on an iconic play in dramatic fashion. But guess what their record was over that last 5 games?

1-4. And it was a worse 1-4 than at the beginning of the year.

So you tell me, am I really just being a "hater"?

(BTW - Meatmissle I started dismissing your comments when you said Coach Fox should be fired. Put down the KOOL-AID man, just put it down, now, before you really hurt yourself.)

HOOK 'EM!

Roy, i know that you can write way better than most but you will NEVER see me asking YOU for a letter of recommendation!! :)

Joey

well i was the starting quarter back for southern north oregon( not really, but i'm on a computer so what the hell? and if you dont like it i'll kick your azz too, because i was also a amature u.f.c fighter,( i really hope everyone can see the sarcasm?)
anyway- the only number that really matters is the wins.

sure tebow doesn't have it all, but one thing that seperates him from ALL the other young " almost montana" qb's is he WINS while learning how to be better.

right now there is only maybe 10 qb's in the nfl that i'd rather have on my team than tebow( this could be scewed if i looked at a list for sure) if they are not in the top 10, they are just getting their team by right now, but they are not what your going to base your next 10 years on--
simply because he already knows how to win big games, he already knows how to come from behind, he already knows how to get a team to play for him.

IF he learns how to fix his problems, you have a great q.b. on your hAnds.

like Ryan leaf and Jamarcus russel(and tons of others) have proven-- it aint no givin' that some highly rated q.b. is going to be worth a shiz in the n.f.l, and Tim Tebow isn't any more of a gamble than any other young q.b. in football- the only difference is he wins games while learning to do the other things.

and as far as only being able to throw when a defence has broken down- did you watch the green bay/ giant game? seems like one of the best q.b's in football couldn't even do that( on THAT night)

EVERY Q.B has down sides to them. but if you can WIN while fixing those problems your going in the right direction

The patriots showed the blue print on how to beat Tebow, you better believe every team the broncos play next year will be using that same defensive scheme

5985t-bow.jpg

no title needed

7mm wsm 600yrd. and closer checkmate

Oh sure the broncos are dukes because of the patriots everybody will know how to defend tebow . Lol. Oh my lmao

the patriots played the same defence the first game, and beat them- apparently the steelers didn't get the memo? because denver sure seemed to hand the #1 defence in football their asses to them that night...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom