Demon Redwood tree

eelgrass

Long Time Member
When I built my house back in 1974 I climbed a redwood tree and topped it because it was too close to the house. That was a mistake because a redwood will put out a new top, or 3 or 4, and it's a weak connection to the main trunk. The new tops are vulnerable to wind. Life got busy and sure enough the top blew out one winter and flattened a couple of my fruit trees.

Now it's put on three more tops and they're tall enough to reach the house so I've decided to hire a tree service to cut them off. It's about 5' diameter at the base. Maybe 6.

The guy came out and gave me a bid and I asked him if he had a climber? Sure, no problem. The crew showed up yesterday with their chipper. Their climber took a look and said no way would he climb that tree. No way. They packed up their stuff and left. Hahaha!

Here's what normal redwood trees looks like. I have about 65 redwoods on my property. The next 3 photos are of the demon redwood. There's something wrong with it. HA! I actually think it's full of burl which is kind of a tree cancer, or so I've heard.

Notice the notch cut into the old black stump just to the left of it. It's where the loggers put spring boards when they fell trees back in the late 1800's or early 1900's. That stump is about 12'

P1010080.JPG

P1010082.JPG

P1010081.JPG

P1010083.JPG

P1010076.JPG

Eel you know that big walnut tree we have in front of the farm house. When those limbs started growing to close to the house, my father in law would go out and trim the limb back with his 300 Weatherby magnum rifle. That is how a Portagee farmer does it.
RELH

Hey Eel?

Did I Tell You About the Tree We Shot Down?

Took Years!

And Who knows how many Rounds?

Wasn't Quite as Big as Your Redwood though!:D

Could be a Damn Valuable Tree!

I'll Bet Even Hossy has never Bought REDWOOD Heart?

Talk about Spendy!

And F'N HEAVY!

Eel... You have Redwood Weeds as Trees. You could get the State to come in and rescue you due to the Loggers 100+ years ago... you are now a Victim... Victim's have Rights.... So write up a Tear Jerking Letter and send it to Gavin. You'll get $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ + Fame :)

Jagerdad... Attorney Resource for Wood Cutter Victims.

Can a good log cutter can lay it out without hitting anything?
I thought of that but no. the county road on one side and a shed and our house on the other. After it's topped maybe. I'd like to saw it up.

Bob ? , yes, 12 diameter. It's been burned at some point so that's just a rough guess. This area was known for the giant trees.

Hey Eel?

Did I Tell You About the Tree We Shot Down?

Took Years!

And Who knows how many Rounds?

Wasn't Quite as Big as Your Redwood though!:D
Once in awhile we would cut a bullet when making lumber at the sawmill. Lead didn't hurt the saws though. We would cut the board and save it in the filing room. We had quite a collection of spikes, nails, bullets, barbed wire, glass insulators. Glass insulators destroyed saws.

Once in awhile we would cut a bullet when making lumber at the sawmill. Lead didn't hurt the saws though. We would cut the board and save it in the filing room. We had quite a collection of spikes, nails, bullets, barbed wire, glass insulators. Glass insulators destroyed saws.
My dad was a filer for Boise Cascade for many years. He had all sorts of stories of things they found in the saw logs.

So'd He Knock the Whole Tree Down?

No, just the top 30'. He had a little pisscutter Husky with about a 20" bar. The main tree is about 6' diameter but now is only about 35' tall. Now would be the time to dump it. I will before it puts out more tops.

I don't like redwood firewood but if it falls in your back yard.

A little bonus, I noticed the bark was slipping (it does in the Spring or early summer) so I'm peeling it. Get a start and a little crowbar and it pops right off. Redwood bark doesn't burn very well.
P1010112.JPG
P1010110.JPG

Do you think I killed it? I bored my 18" bar in all the way and walked all the way around it. It took almost a full tank of gas. ?

P1010122.JPG

I'm Gonna Lone You My STIHL MAGNUM Eel!

But Mine Ain't Big Enough Either!

Now it's A Guessin Game when that Tree will Hit somebody on the Head!:D

My very first job working in the woods was working with the powder monkey when they were building road. The loggers logged the right of way and then we blew the old growth redwood stumps. Dig a hole and dump in a couple sacks of fertilizer and a couple sticks of 60% dynamite, put in a cap and string out the wire. The wire was never long enough because chunks of wood flew over our heads about half the time. The old guy I worked with was a crazy SOB. I got out of there the first chance I had.:mad:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom