Dehydrated Meals....

Wiszard

Long Time Member
As Jerry Seinfeld would say, "What the deal with the prices on dehydrated meals...I mean... they're dehydrated."

Technically they're freeze dried, not dehydrated. Waaay overpriced for me for hunting trips. They have a great shelf life if you're a prepper though. Lots of good options in the dry food section that are light weight and require a very minimal amount of effort at about 1/8th the price. You usually need to get a small pan dirty which is a deal breaker for some people.

Freeze dried and flat brim go hand in hand.

Technically they're freeze dried, not dehydrated. Waaay overpriced for me for hunting trips. They have a great shelf life if you're a prepper though. Lots of good options in the dry food section that are light weight and require a very minimal amount of effort at about 1/8th the price. You usually need to get a small pan dirty which is a deal breaker for some people.

Freeze dried and flat brim go hand in hand.
Freeze dried....got it. I guess I'm not as woke as I thought. And I've got 2 flat brimmed hats and some True Religion jeans. Go figure, eel!!

Freeze dried....got it. I guess I'm not as woke as I thought. And I've got 2 flat brimmed hats and some True Religion jeans. Go figure, eel!!
They have doubled in price in the last 7 years.
We have a Freeze Drier (Harvest Right) at a cost of nearly 4k with all the extras, Mylar bags, vacuum oil. Our Garden, extra chicken eggs, leftover all get freeze dried. It may not be cheap but I get my own choices for backpacking or hunting and have plenty of food if things get scarce. Freeze dried food lasts up to 25 years. Nutritional value is much higher than canned or dehydrated from the get-go.
For example if we have apples they get cored and sliced then frozen on trays we put in the freezer. When a batch comes out of the FD we put the already frozen trays in the FD and it saves time and energy. The FD gets the temp to about -35 and then pulls a vacuum read in millitors and that causes the moisture to sublimate out of the apples. Then when the moisture is gone it is removed and put in gallon zip lock bags for 24 hours. After that we use canning jars or Mylar bags with an oxygen absorber in each bag or jar.
Almost every fruit tastes more intense after FDing.

Last edited:
That's a process DM. It seems like you have it dialed in and it's beneficial to you. That's cool...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom