Deer units

bragabit

I am new to Wyoming and having a hard time figuring out the units Vs. regions. Does every region have a general season hunt? If so does it usually start the 1st of Oct? So then does each unit of the region have a limited (type 1) hunt? If so what are the usual dates for these? I know I read where 82 is open to general season the 1st through 15th then it is limited until the 30th. Is that the way most Wyoming hunts are done?
Thanks

For nonresident deer hunting in Wyoming the state is divided into Regions with a letter designation and each one has numbered units within it's boundaries. Some of the Regions contain what is called "Limited Quota" units and they are designated so you know what they are. You either apply for one of those Regions so you can hunt anywhere in it, except for any of those units I just mentioned, or for just one of those "Limited Quota" units. If you apply for the latter and draw the tag, you can only hunt in that one unit. All of the units have starting dates that are already established and are in the website. The closing dates aren't determined until early summer and then the final pamphlets are printed up with all the information that is sent if you draw a tag. If you just take a few minutes and log onto the G&F website, you can download parts, or all of the 2011 application booklet and everthing is explained in there.

You said you are new to Wyoming. If that means you just moved here you must wait a full year before you can hunt. I hated that. Then you can just buy a general tag for deer and elk or apply for the limited quota hunts. If you don't draw a limited quota you can still hunt general. Other species require drawing out.

You have to be a Wyoming resident for a year to apply as a resident, but he could apply as a nonresident in order to hunt this Fall.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-14-11 AT 06:00PM (MST)[p]I am a nonresident and am new to applying for Wyoming. I have max points for deer and elk. I have never applied for a hunt just preference points. So if there is a type 1 limited quota hunt on a unit in a region, is there a time when general region hunters can hunt that unit? I hope that makes sense.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-14-11 AT 07:36PM (MST)[p]it depends, some general season units have a limited quota for different dates,area 130 is an example, many have limited quota antlerless hunts. it explains all of this if you look at the general area column, and then look at the limited column. If there is no listing in the general areas then its strictly limited. If you draw a limited quota hunt, thats the only place and time you can hunt.

I knew some limited entry units were hunted earlier in the year by general season hunters. IE 82,130. I just didn't know if they were all that way. Thanks for the help.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom