Deer Unit 156 and Grizz?

W

woodtick

I was wonder if there is a lot of grizz in this area compared to other areas in Region H and what some of you guys do to minimize the chances of having this critter wander into your camp.
Thanks Guys

TICK
TALL, WIDE, AND HANDSOME

I was on another site recently and guys were talking about the bears starting to come down into H because last year the pine-bark cones they fatten up on before hibernation were in short supply. One outfitter on the site mentioned they had several nasty encounters and he ended up putting an electric fence around his camp. He also mentioned that a lot of the outfitters are starting to take dogs with them to keep them around as sentries to alert them of a bear, especially when they're sleeping at night.

Thanks for the response, I know that 156 is inside the grizz recovery zone and they release bears in this area that have caused problems in other areas. I don't know how comfortable I am with huntin areas like this just cause of the grizz deal. I generally have my trash bag tied to the tool box of my truck and my food etc strung between my tent and my truck. any advice would be unbelievably appreciated.

Not to mention I have a 454 casull for a side arm if needed:)

TICK
TALL, WIDE, AND HANDSOME

The bears are exactly why I hunt over in the BigHorns where there is only an occasional wolf sighting. I just don't feel comfortable knowing those bears are becoming so brazen that they now come to a shot knowing it means a free meal!

Well, make sure you don't keep any food in your purse and keep your dress short enough so you don't trip when you are running away.

Just giving you grief woodtick. My attempt at humor. On the serious side where you are going is good grizz country. I would not recommend keeping your trash in the bed of your truck or your food outside. Ran into a guy along Pacific creek a few years back that had left a sack of horse feed in the bed of his truck at the trailhead. When he got back he had grizz tracks on the roof and bear crap in the bed. Keep food and garbage inside your truck or camper or in bear proof containers. Use common sense. Clean camp, don't eat or cook in your tent and don't leave anything in your tent that a bear would want to eat. While out hunting the 454 should make you feel comfortable. Don't discount pepper spray either. It works well and is easier to use if you get into a jackpot. If you are lucky you will see one from a distance. They are awesome animals. Best of luck and have fun.

I certainly don't let the thought of grizzly bears keep me from going there. They are there, but have never given me a problem. In fact, over the years, we have had more trouble with little black bears than with grizz.. stealing grain, pulling deer out of trees, etc. It's really just a matter of playing smart, avoiding situations that will get you in trouble, like sneaking through white bark, rolling in bacon grease, ya know.
There seems to be a lot of rhetoric about grizzlies, but most isn't true or deserving. In almost every case, whenever there is a conflict with a human, it is because the human made a mistake. I've always felt that if I gave them the respect they deserve, they return the favor on me.
Honestly though, the last thing I would do is take a dog for protection. Bears and dogs just don't mix, and trust me, nothing iritates a grizzly more than a dog, I have seen it.

I was in the Thorofare last year. We had bears in camp every single night. And every night the dog would start barking and chase the bear off. One night I was laying in bed half a asleep and I hear some snorting next to the corner of my tent. I'm thinking, where's the dog. About a minute later, here comes the dog and the bear starts grunting and runs off. On another occasion while tracking an elk we got charged by a large boar. As far as minimizing, just use common sense. Short of an electric fence around your tent, which we've done in the past, there is nothing you can do to stop them from coming in. Many are habituated to camps in the back country and have no qualms about checking things out in the middle of the night..

Thanks Guys! I appreciate the sarcasm and the helpful recommendations.

TICK
TALL, WIDE, AND HANDSOME

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom