Deer Hunting may cause Heart Problems

kilowatt

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Deer hunting could be a dangerous endeavor for men with heart disease or risk factors for it, research findings suggest.

ADVERTISEMENT

In a study of 25 middle-aged male deer hunters, researchers found that the activities inherent to hunting -- like walking over rough terrain, shooting an animal and dragging its carcass -- sent the men's heart rates up significantly.

In some cases, this led to potentially dangerous heart-rhythm disturbances, or diminished oxygen supply to the heart.

Of the 25 hunters, 17 had established coronary heart disease, while the rest had risk factors such as being overweight, smoking or having high blood pressure or cholesterol.

The findings suggest that for men like these, hunting could boost the risk of heart attack or cardiac arrest.

Susan Haapaniemi and colleagues at William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oaks, Michigan, report the findings in the American Journal of Cardiology.

For the study, the researchers outfitted each man with a portable monitor that continuously recorded his heart's electrical activity during a day of deer hunting. For comparison, the men also had their hearts monitored as they exercised on a treadmill on a separate day.

In general, the researchers found, deer hunting put the men's hearts under more strain than the treadmill did. Ten men exceeded the maximum heart rate they logged on the treadmill, and several showed potentially dangerous heart responses to hunting that they did not show during the treadmill test.

Three men had signs of impeded blood flow to the heart during hunting, but not on the treadmill. Similarly, three of the men with heart disease had heart-rhythm abnormalities while hunting that did not show up on the treadmill test.

The combination of physical exertion, adrenaline rush and the stress of rough terrain and cold weather may explain the "excessive cardiac demands" seen with hunting, according to Haapaniemi's team.

What's more, they point out, most of the men in the study were taking part in an exercise program to treat their heart disease, or were regularly physically active. Hunting could be an even greater strain on the heart in men who are usually sedentary, the researchers note.

SOURCE: American Journal of Cardiology, July 15, 2007.

I MIGHT BE DIEING!!!

BUT I AIN'T QUITING!!!

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

Just get your azz in shape, Bobcat! My husband's uncle died of a heart attack underneath a tree while he was out hunting with his young son. He wasn't in shape, had some risk factors anyway, and the strain on his heart while he was out hiking in the woods was just too much. Bad deal.

Sooo...moral of the story...GET IN SHAPE and GET HEART HEALTHY. I need to heed my own advice...I know, I know. So...Ya wanna meet me at the donut shop in the morning or on the Ioka lane for a job down and back up the Ravola dugway? lol

I propose we pass a law that you have to pass a physical before you can buy a hunting license. What do you think?

I refuse to succumb to scare tactics. We know you're just trying hog the tags. I would have give up on one of my other favorite pass times if I would have believed this one as well.

Contact your doctor or seek emergency medical attention if your erection is painful or lasts longer than 4 hours. A prolonged erection (priapism) can damage the penis.

Probably going to get nuked again.

RUS

>Sooo...moral of the story...GET IN SHAPE
>and GET HEART HEALTHY.
>I need to heed my
>own advice...I know, I know.
> So...Ya wanna meet me
>at the donut shop in
>the morning or on the
>Ioka lane for a job
>down and back up the
>Ravola dugway? lol

JOG...that should be JOG...not job.

Thank goodness all I drew this year is an antelope tag!

I'm too old to get that worked up or excited about hunting any more. I can still get around, it just takes me a little longer. I kind of like it that way actually.

Eel

Steve,

Here is my friend at his 60th B/D party last month, his son gave him this "walker" and rigged it up with a rifle holder and all in Camo. Maybe we can borrow it for the Lope hunts?? LOL
Brian
bobsseat.jpg

I say 17 out of 25 should quit hunting since those are the successful ones. It will leave more game for me!!

OK, just for the record I was kidding about passing a law that you have to get a physical. I tell you what I rather go while hunting then sitting in a retirement home (I'm not sying there is anything wrong with retirement homes).

>I'll have a heart attack if
>I ever draw the strip
>again.

"AGAIN" .... DUDE, YOU DREW ONCE??? AND DIDN'T HAVE A CORNARY???

seriously, how did you do?

RUS

>I was only 34. Still had
>hair. Now 54. Not much
>hair and no tag.
>You still mad?
>
>Ransom

Never was mad ... still wondering how you did on the strip even if it was 20 years ago. That's when Ted was still haunting the area.

Post Script: your catching up with me on age "slow down it sucks"

RUS

I did great! I hadn't even heard about the strip before I drew it. Found it on a camping trip and thought it looked very promising. When I learn how to post photos I will. Not yet to golden years but my 55 and over discount starts next year at dennys! Who was Ted? Warden?

Ransom

This isn't funny oct 20th 2005 I had a heart attack 2 hours after killing and dragging a mule deer out looking back it was scary as all hell but being over weight diabetic & high blood pressure I was a time bomb waiting explode! now I have had gastric by pass and walking more and more every day i think next year will be a new way to hunt for this kid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry 4x4 your right that isn't funny. Sometimes we get carried away. Glad to see your doing well. You didn't say how big the buck was.

Ransom

Overton I know we all get carried away here now and then but i was just guy's it and does happen!!!!!!

The heart attack buck wasn't the biggest on the hill but he was 24" wide 22" tall & a 4x4 with 6" base's he carried the mass all the way up to the tips. I had a free shoulder mount so he is now hanging in my horn room! ( for damn sure he was not big enough to cause a heart attack him self )

4x4

Your buck sounds good to me. 6 inch bases are not a dime a dozen. Good that your on the amends and good luck this year.

Ransom

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom