DEER/ELK YOU EVER HIT ONE???

elkassassin

Long Time Member
With Your Vehicle?

I'd Been Perty Lucky Till a few Years ago!

Touched a Few!

Bumped a Few!

Then Got a Deer Real Good!

Was Clipping along Perty Good & a Truck coming towards me moves in to My Lane!

It was Either take the Bar Ditch or a Head-On!

I Took the Bar Ditch only to Find out He was Swerving to Miss a Deer & I was the Lucky Guy that Day!

A Couple years ago while heading up to go Hunting a 4:00 AM I Had a 4-Point Buck Take the Side Mirror off of the ole BEATER Huntin Rig!

Been Perty Lucky I Guess over the Years!

The only way I can Find them Now Days is with the Grill!:D:D:D

Let's Hear Your Road Kill Stories!

[font color="blue"]dude has his Resume turned in to be Hillary's
Intern[/font]

My friends used to rib me that I should not be allowed to put in for deer because of all the deer I 'tagged' with my vehicle over at least a 10-yr. period; once THREE in one year! ;) I lived out in a State Park where deer , elk and other critters were really thick, and always seemed to me to gather along the roads. Most damage was repairable, although 3 vehicles were TOTALLED! Very fortunate not to be hurt or injured on any of them! Since I retired, I live in just as bad a situation with town deer all around night and day, and wild horses and cattle in the mix, and an occasional elk, but have not even had any near-misses in several years!
One near miss stands out though: I had been out to a friends late at night with my wife along...we were late getting back home where we had other business, so I was pushing it on a dirt road travelling maybe 55 mph or so at night (which I knew better for!) Rounded a turn, my wife screamed,"Peeete!"...I screamed back, "Whaddya want?"...about the time I saw the probably the BIGGEST bull elk I will ever see about 10 ft. from me! There was a miracle in store that night, as I reacted stupidly and jammed the brakes; the brakes locked up, the truck went sideways in the road...I thought, "Great, we're gonna roll over him!" BUT "missed him by that much", and the elk had turned sideways AWAY from the vehicle! We were very lucky to be in a rather low sage spot in the terrain as next we had a "Mr. Toad's wild ride" off the road and maybe a hundred feet out! My wife and I sat there for maybe about fifteen minutes as our nerves and the HUGE dust cloud settled! No damage to the vehicle, but HARROWING!
Oh, and about half the collisions, the deer ran into me BEFORE I could even react!
Also, this was not mine; sad to see, and I happened upon it shortly after it occurred and NDOW hadn't arrived to investigate it yet...a 8x9 bull!
45872roadkillbull1.jpg

I caught one or two with my truck. But with a winch and brush guard. I just smile as they go under. It does help that I am running 35's and a 6" lift. I have never got into a elk.But I have seen a few that have. Not got for the elk or car. We do have a few big old black cows in our country. They scare the crap out of me. Been pretty lucky. But I do light up the road with my Led's spots and floods. A friend totaled his F 150 last year and had to pay for the cow to !!!

I've tagged a couple in with my trucks but only killed one for sure.

But there was the time when I was headed to Lake Powell with a friend driving an Alfa Romeo sports car and he was doing mach II when we hit one. It was NOT good and I've never seen a deer explode like that before or since!

Zeke

Never. One time it was real close. I was working for the Forest Service as a seasonal worker in 1998. I worked 8 days on and had 6 days off unless there was a fire. One time I was heading home on the Coronado Trail, which is a winding road from Clifton to Alpine AZ. There are only a few places to pass on the whole road and I got to know exactly where they were because I would haul ass home as fast as I could to hang out with friends for the next 6 days and had to use these zones to get around motorhomes almost every time. This particular trip, I happened to be behind a few Harleys that were just joyriding in the pines and didn't have anywhere to get to fast. I must have been behind them for 6 or so miles. We were coming up to a passing zone that was only about 500' long, as soon as they hit the straight-away, they backed off as to let me pass, I was running up on them kind of fast because I knew the passing zone was right there and wanted to blow by them. I saw them let up and felt happy to get around. The reason they slowed down come to find out was because two deer were in the bar ditch and started running across the road. I swung around them and was sure I was going to hit the tail deer but somehow didn't. It scared me so much my stomach hurt for about 20 minutes, it was that close. AZ doesn't have too many deer so we don't hit them very much.

Smacked a deer coming down Lolo Pass one night about 30 years ago. I was driving a 68 3/4 ton chevy pulling an empty flatbed 20 foot trailer. Three or four deer came up out of the river and there was no way to stop so I just aimed for the one in the rear. Bent my head light pretty good but that was all. It was pretty gross the noises that came out of that doe as we drug her off. Bones grinding on bones.

Happened on a guy a couple years ago that hit a black range cow. He was driving a late nineties chevy. Looked like the cow rode a couple hundred feet on the hood against the caved in windshield until he rolled it. Poor guy had been to costco and was on his way home. There were groceries scattered for a quarter mile. Saw some damn nice steaks layin in the dirt. And a 30 pack of Budlight looked like it was dropped from an airplane. The guy survived with fairly minor injuries.

Hit one in an old 73 F250 and it left about a silver dollar size ding in the chrome grill wrap and a couple hairline cracks in the plastic grill. Hit one at about the same speed in a 98 GMC and it did $4200 dollars damage. I imagine the same hit on the new trucks would ripple them up like a beer can? I almost found out the other night on an antelope, nearly had a head on with the goofy bugger.

Thunderstruck bumpers will keep those deer off, BUT elk will bend the frame pretty good.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I had taken the day to drive through Yellowstone Park and was returning to camp late that night. I was tired and so keeping my speed down in order to spot animals on the road. I spotted an eye down close to the roadway and so eased off the gas. I drew closer and closer, expecting to put a body to it at any time, but just couldn't see anything but that eye, moving slowly. It was reddish in color. I ruled out an alligator, and could not think of any other creature that fit the description. I slowed to 20 mph, and could vaguely see a body about the size of a coyote attached. I had just about decided to crush the bastard when I realized that instead of a body, I had seen only the head--of a bison, with the enormous body covering my entire lane. I don't know how I missed it, but I did, and enjoyed the rest of my evening quite wide awake behind the wheel.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-31-16 AT 05:31AM (MST)[p]

>I've never seen a deer
>explode like that before or
>since!
>
>Zeke

Tag along with bobcat this fall. Did ya hear about his new big gun? :D

I've skimmed a few deer and had a few near misses with full on impact, but I've never hit one.

My son hit an elk one night, late, after an away game. Well...she kinda hit him. He was taking some other kid home from the high school and a cow elk jumped onto the road. He clipped her with his front bumper on the passenger side. She flipped up, hit her head on the windshield, busted it and messed up his passenger side mirror.

I think the kid riding with him crapped his pants. lol

He said the elk ran off, but was obviously not ok and got tangled up in a fence as she was staggering/running off but got loose and took off. Not sure what happened to her, we looked for her the next day- followed the blood trail until it fizzled out- found nothing.

The wrecked car gave him something to work on in auto shop that month, too. He replaced the fender & mirror on his own. Lucky he just clipped her on the side and it wasn't full impact.

Several Years ago up near the Top of Indian Canyon I came up behind a Van that was upside down!

The Guy came Running back to me & Said:

I Just Hit a Big Deer!

I'm thinking JUDAS!

Tip the Van over because of a Deer?

I Walk up there & Yup!

Big Damn Deer For Sure!

A Bull Elk & A Good one!:D

Intern[/font]

LAST EDITED ON Aug-31-16 AT 09:04PM (MST)[p]Edit: Not sure about mule deer or elk, but blacktail bucks eyes glow green in the headlights and does eyes glow white.

Just sayin....something I've noticed over the years.

>Not sure about mule deer or
>elk, but blacktail bucks eyes
>glow red in the headlights
>and does eyes glow green.
>
>
>Just sayin....something I've noticed over the
>years.

So Eel?

If it's a Red Glare you Hit the Throttle?:D

Intern[/font]

I think I screwed it up the first time Elkassassin. It's my old age. It's been a long time since I did any night driving. LOL

No....always steer away from the green eyes. LOL!

>Lest we forget, Whiz has hit
>damn near everything.
>
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

LMAO!

"HIT"

He'd HIT about anything!

Until Ms Wisz Slapped Him Silly!

Intern[/font]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back