Deer/Coyote Chase

NVPete

Very Active Member
Had a really neat unusual scene unfold as we glassed for deer during our hunt. A group of does with a small three point and a forky came over a hill full tilt with a coyote racing full throttle after them. As we watched the deer bunched up, the three point raced on while the coyote circled the group. We could see the forky had some injury to his pelvis, whether he'd been wounded by hunter or some other misfortune and it affected his gait. We also figured it was him the coyote was after. As the coyote circled, the ladies must have decided they were not gonna let an ol' coyote get one of their own! The very next moment, the coyote let out at full tilt, with the angry mob of does (and even the ol' forky keeping up!)racing after him. The last we saw, as they went over the hill, the lead does were almost catching the coyote!:eek:

My Dad and I witnessed that twice in 2 days on our ML hunt in 2010 near Wells. It was quite the sight.....I'd say there are too many yotes. Once was cool...twice was not cool. :)

Steve
Holder of a 2012 LE Utah Deer Tag!!

I had something like that happen to me on a Deer Hunt in Colorado in the snow a few years back. I was sitting on a knoll hunting rolling sagebrush hills when over a ridge about 200 yards in front of me came three Does running down the hill as fast as they could go. They were not running in a straight line they was Darting back and forth in the Sagebrush and snow. So I got my Binoculars to get a better look and I could see they were chasing what looked like a Kit Fox. Well about 100 yards down the hill the big lead Doe caught up to the fox and was stomping the living daylights out of the little guy. The other two Does were jumping around making all kinds of grunts and noises. I put my Binoculars down for a second and noticed off to my left and down at the bottom of the knoll I was on in the tall sage was a body of a Deer. So a got my Binoculars back up and could see a nice Rack sticking up out of the sage watching the show down the hill. This Buck let me walk 20 yards right past him on my way to sit down without spooking. All I could see was his butt and part of his neck and the tips of his Rack I was only about 75 yards away so I let one fly for his neck and down he went. Of course the stomping party was over and mine just begun. He turned out to be a deep forked tall 23 inch 4x4 that works for me. If it wasn't for those does I would of never seen that Buck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom