Deer are Tough (13 Photos)

S

Saskman

As some of you may know I tagged out on my 2010 whitetail a week or so ago. When I took the deer to the meat cutter he phoned me and said he had found a broadhead in the deer. He said that it looked like it had been in there for a while as it was all healed over and bone had grown around it. I had seen this deer several times this year and once last winter and even picked up one shed off of him. Not once did he ever look like he had any kind of injury. The meat cutter saved the shoulder blade for me and I boiled it out to get some photos of the broadhead. The broadhead had hit in probably the worst part of the shoulder possible. An inch either way and the deer would likely have been dead. Very unlucky for whoever shot him but lucky for me. Here are some photos of the deer and the shoulder blade.

2010_whitetail.jpg

20101005-IMG_7214.jpg

20101005-IMG_7241.jpg

20101005-IMG_7240.jpg

20101005-IMG_7211.jpg

IMG_7269-7D1.jpg

on this side it looks like the tip had just penetrated and some bone healed around it.
IMG_7287-7D.jpg

IMG_7279-7D.jpg

IMG_7278-7D.jpg

Some close ups
IMG_7270-7D.jpg

IMG_7271-7D.jpg

IMG_7275-7D.jpg

IMG_7283-7D.jpg

Poor Bastard suffered a day or two in his day!

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!

Great buck Cam... Cool pics and story too...Your right deer can be tough..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I've killed an elk and two deer with broadheads still in them..last year a friend killed a pronghorn with half the arrow still in him.

I'll bet whoevers broadhead that is is still haunted by not getting him! Great buck, very cool story to go with it!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Cool story and pics. Maybe that deer was a 2-point when he got hit. Who knows. I've taken multiple animals with broadheads in them but this was really cool.

Well that answers a lot of the questions that have been on here this year about lost deer (archery, muzzleloader, or rifle) - especially when the hunter isn't sure about his shot accuracy. Sometimes, it is just not fatal and you just can't track them down. Though I would still venture to say there most misses like this do end up being fatal and either the hunter doesn't try hard enough to recover the animal, is incompetent, or blatantly leaves it because of ground shrinkage.

Cool pics Cam!
UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom