deer and elk combo

patea

my dad and i have gen elk tags and were going to apply in special draw for deer and try to do a combo hunt hunt dates don't matter to us but we are lost on which region to apply for to make it the best hunt possible deer took a hit from several factors the past 5 years as i can gather and i don't know which part of the state to concentrate on for both deer and elk we aren't trophy hunting just trying to spend some time together while we can might even get to take my seven year old son along if i can get him out of school have also been considering using horses or drop camp to get away from people do y'all have any suggestions on where to start

LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-14 AT 06:34AM (MST)[p]I think a combo hunt for deer/antelope is doable, but when you get an elk tag I believe it is best to spend all your time working for that one good animal, rather than worrying about filling a second expensive tag on the same hunt. I say that since you're a NR and probably don't have the time needed to do justice to both on one hunt, unless it's a good two weeks or better. That length of time would be pretty hard to do if you wanted to take the boy along, as I doubt two weeks away from school would make the teachers very happy. A resident would probably have a decent shot at it since they can put in preseason scouting time and also have more time for the hunt itself since driving time to the hunt area would be minimal. Just my opinion patea and good luck in whatever you decide!

I can think of some areas that have good numbers of both, but the seasons don't line up. I think that is going to be one of the other challenges your in for is seasons that run the same time in areas that you actually want to hunt. You maybe able to find an area that you could hunt the last few days of deer and scout elk at the same time and go into knowing that there is a good chance your eating one of two tags.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom