Deer 78, 79, 80, 81 access

DonVathome

Very Active Member
The regs say 78-81 have tough public access - how tough? I am looking at the limited entery hunt (2nd half of oct) DIY. Are there areas I can pack into that are not wilderness?

I went into those deer units on my CD ROM of Wyoming and it appears there is plenty of public land besides the Wilderness areas. Just get some good maps of where you want to go so you'll be sure you are legal and not going onto private land to get there.

There is enough public land to make that a good deal. Drawing the license is tough. Much of it depends upon the weather. If it's warm and dry, the deer will stay up higher, but if we get some cold, snowy weather, they will move down into more open country and a higher % will end up on deeded lands.

Good luck.

Good point, but that conflicts with drawing tag right? I want to draw the tag (LE) not general draw. I can hunt first half of Oct on a easy to draw general tag, but deer will be scattered and now pushed down. So if I draw the second half of Oct (LE) I hope for snow BUT snow pushes them down onto private right? I want DIY and no tresspass fee (I would consider a reasonable fee but I suspect it is pricey and/or locked up by outfitters)?

ICMDEER that is a general Elk area and the season is open the last 2 weeks of Oct. is it a zoo with all the Elk hunters running around?

It would suck to use max points and have the elk hunters pushing the deer around.

We've had two hunters in that season the past 4 years. The elk hunters are not a big deal because the elk are in a different (higher ) habitat at the time. The buck we shot in 2009 was a solid deer, a 7X6 that scored in the upper 170's. But we never saw any monsters. There seem to be fewer and fewer deer all the time and this winter might not help anything. It seems like it has been cold and snowy for a LONG time.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom