Dedicated Hunter Program Pro/Con?

Pros:
Flexible- Hunt all three seasons plus extended archery season
Helping- Work on habitat improvements, 32 hours total over 3 years
Odds- Depending on unit you may have slightly better odds of drawing than general tag

Cons:
Stuck- Must hunt all three years in same unit
Cost- Pay for three tags but can only harvest two deer while in program
Projects- Depending on where you live the frequency and type of dedicated hours available can be a hassle

I will finish up my 9th season in the program next year. I will continue to apply as long as the program exists. If you have a unit you know well and always hunt and have the time to get your hours in, it is well worth my money!

Provo pretty well summed it up.
I've been in it a couple times but not currently.
If deer is your only thing or you have lots of time then it's a cool program.
If you hunt a few States and other critters and work for a living then you might not have time to take advantage of 3 seasons in one year for just deer in 1 State.
Good luck,
Zeke

+1
It's only worth it if you like to hunt multiple weapons and you are pretty much just trophy hunting.
I have been in since the beginning, but not sure if I will continue. Being stuck in one unit for three years bugs me. You used to be able to switch units from year to year.
I haven't killed a deer in the nine years I have been a member, but it's not because I couldn't have. Just my choice.

I've never had trouble getting hours done. You just need to start early and check for projects on their website. I have usually done all my hours the first year so I don't have to worry about it.

They had one project last year that didn't require me to drive over one hundred miles to participate, and that project was a complete waste of resources. Depending on where you leave, it can be easier to find projects, but most of the guys I know in the program share my complaint.

That's odd, because about 30 of us were able to complete at least 16 hours last year driving less than a half hour from home and there were many other projects in the area. Ultimately, if you are having difficulty finding a project, call your coordinator and they are more than willing to help find a project.

"When you are dead, you don't know that
you are dead. It is difficult only for the
others. It is the same when you are
stupid"

I agree on the hours thing. Especially if they keep the draw dates at May 31st and it is your first year in the program. This gives you about 2.5 months to get in the required hours before the archery hunt begins. In many cases it almost forces the participant to buy the hours. Of course this all depends on where you live and the travel to said project. The 3 years in one unit does blow....

Gunnie,

That should not be the case anymore. I believe I read that you do not have to have any hours done for the first tag to be given out. I believe this was changed this year. My understanding is this was to alleviate that rush to get the first 8 hours in before you could even get a tag since the results were posted so close to the actual hunt dates.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom