Decoying antelope

M

mixedbag

I'm headed to Wyoming the 1st week of archery, and wondered if a decoy will work then.Any tips on how to decoy antelope would help to.Would I be better off with a doe decoy in the early season?

I have not had good luck with the montana buck, especially doe hunting. Last year I used a montana doe butt at the waterhole. It was Ok we still killed em all but murphy's law always has the goats coming in on "edge" of the decoy so they don't see it. This year I bought a flambeau grazing doe to paint up like a doe goat. I bet I get video of a buck trying to mount her berfore the year is out. :D

I have taken a few goats with my bow with the help of a buck decoy. Through trial and error I found that if you can get between 200 and 100 yards away before you pop up decoy the buck will feel more threatened by the decoy and will run in to chase it away. The key is to remain undetected until you pop up decoy. I found out that if you set up decoy to far away the buck might just round up his does and head the other way.
Use hills, ground contour whatever helps to remain undetected before you spring your trap. The buck will usually run toward decoy and pull up 30-60 yards away giving you a good shot.
At least thats how it worked for me in Az.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom