Deadliest Catch Star Dead

I like DCatch and Cpt. Phil in particular. I'd rather go a bit quicker but he didn't go in a bad way. Good for him, a player to the end!! RIP

Joey

Did he have a cigarette in his hand/mouth the last few seconds of life?
Seen him almost tip over once,but he wasn't changing lifestyles.

Terrible news. I sure enjoyed watching him, one of my favorite captains. I hope his boys are alright.

Didn't see your post HH so I double posted this. Sad sad deal.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

RIP Phil, Now he can drink all the Red Bulls and smoke as many cigs as he wants with full crab pots every set!!! Sad day for a lot of Fisherman out there!! God bless his family!

He was one of my favorite guys on that show, which happens to be my favorite show :( Sad day today....I hope his boys will continue on the legacy of fishing, and learn that the lifestyle their Dad lead is not the way to go if you want to live very long.

2a0fcsk.gif

His son is a chip off the old block, you'd think he'd make some changes after watching what his father went through.

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx290/slamdunk_04/E1x1BWINV1-2.jpg[/IMG]

Sad deal all around.I actually met him in Las Vegas last year at Bass Pro Shops .He was in town looking to buy a house for when he retired .He said he owned a few Harleys and was looking for a warm spot to ride them in .Pretty sad he never made it to retiring .RIP Capt.Phil.

Dead at 53, thats 2 years younger than me. Those crab fisherman have a tough life. Working around the clock for weeks on end is not condusive to a long life. The constant smoking and endless Redbulls didn't help either.
I don't see either son mature enough to skipper the boat yet, I wonder who the boat majority owner (Cornelia Marie Collins) will put in as skipper next.
Sad to see Phil gone, he was my favorite skipper on the show.

I grew up working in that industry, the old days were a lot different then now days. Technology has improved their ability to find and harvest the crab/bottomfish/shrimp. Having said that its still a very very deadly job and a hard job, not for wimps. I think the officials have done alot to improve things and crack down on the law breakers. We had numerous boats back in the 80's that fished for dungeness crab, these guys would work round the clock for weeks on end, the only time they got any sleep is when they were heading in to deliever their catch or heading out. Illegal drugs were a big part of the fishing industry back then. I can say without a doubt that it wasn't global warming that reduced the numbers of commercial fish species. One night a boat came in and the skipper was bragging that he had brought up a tow with 100,000 pounds of blackcod. They had strict rules on these fish, the slot limits were very small, the most this skipper could keep was 10,000 pounds, the rest went back overboard DEAD. What a waste.
But anyways back to Capt Phil, I knew her personally and he was quite a guy. My wife wanted to meet him but she was in the hospital recovering from hip surgery, so he signed a picture for her and told her to get well. RIP Capt Phil

Phil brought a lot to the show, the other part of the series that was cool was the program called "After the Catch", thats where all the skippers and some of the deckhands would get together and tell stories and lies and just have some fun down time. They even would put an apron on and cook up their favorite dish. Parts of me miss that work, but there is no way my old body could do it now. My hat goes off to each and every one of them. Its a hard job, but someones got to do it. I also miss the money. The show will never be the same without Capt Phil.

Freebird, if you were fishing for Dungeness crab you weren't fishing Bristol Bay. Probably off the Wash or Oregon coast, right? I was a Gillnetter in Bristol Bay for 32 years and would deliver to the crab boats in their off season. I don't know for sure if I delivered to the Cornelia Marie but I think I did at some point. If he ever tendered for Icicle Seafoods in Bristol Bay then I probably delivered to him. Most of the skippers on the tenders are great guys and I'm sure old Phil will be missed in the fleet.
Like you I miss the fishing but not the hard work and no sleep.

I know a guy who had breakfast with Captain Phil when he was in town on tour here in Kali. There is no smoking in resteraunts in Kali. After the waitress brought their food Captain Phil would take a few bites and then go outside and smoke. Come back in, have a few more bites and then back outside for another smoke. All the while he was cussing "Fricken California"

RIP Captain Phil. You were a good man.

Eel

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

Your right apex, I had two chances to go up, one of my skippers was suppose to get a boat to fish the setnet fishery in cooks inlet, but that fell through and then was suppose to go up on a longline boat in 1997 but a job here in Idaho came up. No matter what you do up there or all commercial fishing is tough work. My best friend went up on my cousins boat and just as they entered the berring sea the capt got everyone together cause a big storm was coming in and they had to make sure everything was tied down, my friend was on wheel watch that night, one wave hit them broadside and laid them over and he freaked out and yelled down to the relief skipper, they came righted after that wave and then another wave hit them and laid them over, he said it felt like forever that the boat laid on its side, he could see green water out the wheel house windows, he figured they were dead, but they righted. My cousins boat was only 130' long. It was enough of an experience that he never went back up there again. The last time I saw Capt Phil I got him to sign an autograph for my wife as she was in the hospital after having a hip replacement surgery. Phil was an awesome guy. I kinda miss not seeing Rick Quashnick and the Maverick on the show. His whole family are fishermen and are good people. I enjoy setting back listening to the stories that the old fisherman talk about. My father was a commercial fisherman and would always tell me fishing was not a good job. It didn't help that when he was younger they were unloading a tuna boat and the brailer full of tuna came open and fell on top of him and broke his back, so he had his reasons for not wanting me to get into commercial fishing. So if you fished Bristol bay you must have made a trip or two to Johnsons bar???

Love the show. He was a big part of why I liked it so much. I love how he tells it like it is I had a lot of respect for him. He will be missed.

Freebird
In Naknek there is Fishermans, Hadfields and the Red Dog Saloon, In King Salmon there's Eddie's Fireplace Inn and the King Ko Inn. Never heard of Johnsons. When I first started fishing up there They only had 2 long distance telephone lines for the whole town. We had to go to any of the bars and dial 0 many times hoping to get a line out to talk to our wives at home. Now you get cell phone service right on your boat.
I had a tender drop a brailer full of fish on the back of my boat once and bent the heck out of the steering wheel in the back of the boat, and smashed the cover for the controls, luckily no one got hurt. Put over 21,000 lbs on my little 32 foot boat one time, never did it again, luckily the weather was nice and I only had to go about a mile to get to a tender. I've got a lot of fond memories of fishing, and a few bad ones but loved every minute of it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom