Daughter's First Big Game Animal - Antelope

30Hart

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Feb-17-11 AT 12:06PM (MST)[p]My daughter took her first big game animal last September on the Black Point CWMU in Utah. She drew the only public permit. We were finished by noon. Any guesses on the score?

9202nic_antelope.jpg

2241nic_antelope_2.jpg

Man seeing these pictures makes me can't wait until my daughter is old enough to hunt. She is 3 now and I am hoping to get her out on a hunt this year. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Congrats on a really nice buck!! As far as score, antelope are just too tough to guess so hate to even try, nice buck though.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-17-11 AT 12:50PM (MST)[p]Very nice goat and a very cute daughter you have there Sir! He looks like he could go in the mid 70s to me, but it's very hard to tell without doing a hands on! Did you tape him to get a halfway close score or not?

Thanks, he's 14 1/4 inch in length and goes 78 4/8 B&C net...wish my first antelope was that big!

Even a little better than I thought! That's a good score for the length, which I was close on in my mind, and that's why mass can make or break a score! So she beat you huh, LOL!!!

Yes, as far as first antelope goes, my first antelope back in 1989 was lucky if it scored 65. The mass was carried well up through the horn on her's for just 14 inches, which was a no brainer for the area we hunted. The Black Point area just isn't know for trophy bucks so he defintely was a keeper. I didn't even think we'd get one worthy of mounting...there goes another $600 taxidermy bill!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-18-11 AT 09:05AM (MST)[p]This is the Wyoming goat I put on my wall in 2009. He was 14 1/2" and taped right at 76". I thought your daughter's goat was about the same length, but when you start doing the mass measurements it can really change a score up or down quickly.

5069lm_015.jpg

Beatiful mount, nice antelope! Yes mass has a tendency to do that. Because it was her first and looked good enough and was in range I didn't size her's up. I thought around 75, but was really surprised later when I taped it. One thing if you look close at the pictures, the ends of the horns have a curly-q to them and the same with the end of the prongs. That added an extra inch to the overall score.

hey, great goat for your girl, many congrats to the father/daughter team...hell of a first BG animal!

and i don't know about you guys, but i sure do love eatin em if they ain't sage or cactus fed!

anyway, good job!

Yep, I sure did notice those curly Qs, as you call them!!! It will make a very nice mount. Mine was done up in Cody by Jim Marsico and there aren't too many guys that are better. He has done an antelope panorama that's in the Smithsonian Museum in DC, other stuff in the Buffalo Bill Historical Museum in Cody, and even does all of old Jim Zumbo's stuff, LOL!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom