DANGER - Gun Related Close Calls

cannonball

Very Active Member
My cousin's dad had a 1897 Winchester hammered pump Shotgun. We were in their utility room and for some reason he started to jack a shell into the chamber and like this sxp gun, it went off without his finger being on the trigger. It blew a hole in his mother's new washing machine. One of the glancing BB's hit me right above the eye. Man! What a close call. We took it out after he become familiar with it and it would do it quite often. I hated that gun every time he took it to go hunting with me.

Another close call was when a bunch of us were going hunting rabbits later that day with our 22's. I pulled the gun out of the closet. In those early days hardly anyone knew what a gun vault was, nor did we have hunters education. I knew that I always jacked the bullets out of my pump several times, every time I used it. I pointed the gun at a spot obove the bedroom door jamb, pulled the trigger, and to my surprise the gun went off. My mother ran thru the door and after being relieved that I was still alive, boy did I get a lecture. Come to find out my brother had loaned my gun out to his friend a couple of days before. He had no right, but behind the scenes, who knows what goes on if you get the drift. There are couple of lessons to be learned in this paragraph.

Would love to hear some of your gun close calls.

Preventable accidents happen all the time. We always need to be sure the gun is pointed in a safe direction and act like it's loaded. Scares me to death. One time we were hunting with some uncles and one of their friends was unloading his rifle and it went off right in the middle of all of us. Luckily no one was hurt. Just last Nov. a hunter from Cody died when his gun was leaned against a pick up and it fell down and went off. I'm sure some on here knew him or of him. Sad situation and so sorry for the loss. Sometimes there just accidents. Once when we were hunting, someone's gun went off. My son was carrying a Remington pump 30-06. Had it on his shoulder and it went off. Needless to say we went and had a new safety put on.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-21-15 AT 10:30AM (MST)[p]cannonball---Why would anyone take an obviously defective gun like that shotgun you mentioned out and keep using it? The tubular fed 22s are very easy to have what you mentioned happen if you don't thoroughly check to see that all the rounds are removed because it's not uncommon for the one ready to go up into the chamber hangs up. You should always run the ejector by hand a couple times along with a visual check before putting one away. As far as what NECALI mentioned, if it was an older Remington the accidental misfire was probably related to the defective Walker trigger that an aftermarket one takes care of. If it was a newer model, it was probably related to the defective XMARK Pro trigger assembly that is under a total recall by Remington due to a manufacturing problem.

Trudging trough head high, thick as hell alders in Alaska, my Rem 700's safety somehow was clicked from Safe to Fire. Not sure if it fired when that happened (yes, X Mark Pro trigger) or snagged on something else to pull the trigger; but it scared the living $hit out of me. Luckily, I had it pointed up and I was in the back of the line; but, to think of what could have happened keeps me up at night.

I do know for a fact it was on Safe prior to the alders. Have since sent it off to Remington for the recall.

Scary crap

A friend of mine had about 2/3 of his calf muscle blown away last winter while goose hunting. His hunting partner had set his shotgun on the ground behind the blind but pointing towards the blind. When he picked it up it went off striking my friend in the calf. He had to be helicoptered to the hospital and after several surgeries and months of rehab he can walk okay but still with pain. Near as they can figure, the safety got pushed off when the shotgun was set down and when it was picked up something snagged against the trigger, causing the negligent discharge. No matter how long we have been safely handling guns, it never hurts to have another reminder to keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction and ALWAYS assume a gun is loaded.

Stay safe my friends,

Sam

NRA Life Member

"The critters have to win every time. I only have to win once!"

Topgun,

Regarding the 22 mishap. That was during my young dumb years, almost before the event of cars. I always checked my guns and re-check them several times when I came back from using it. As I stated someone else had took the gun from the closet unbeknownst to me. I just let down just once because I knew my diligent of emptying the gun. and that's the point of this topic. It only takes once.

As far as the shotgun goes. I probably would have had several years of hunting before you were even born. No hunter education, just get a gun and hunt. During those early days we were young and again I repeat a little dumb, but mainly we had what we had, and no money to pay for another gun or to have one fixed and that gun operated most of the time. So after that first incident, my cousin was very careful. Never the less it was unnerving and unsafe. We not only rode in the back of trucks, but stood up in the back of trucks, on the fenders of the older cars, we rode on tote-goats without helmets and the little kids, well they stood in the front and back seats of a moving vehicle. Most of our learning was by hard knocks. No wonder kids today never move away from home or move back and live with mommy and daddy. We were not controlled in the country as you are today, and yes we made some dumb mistakes.

We lived the Golden Age of hunting and we're still alive.

>Topgun,
>
>Regarding the 22 mishap. That
>was during my young dumb
>years, almost before the event
>of cars. I always
>checked my guns and re-check
>them several times when I
>came back from using it.
> As I stated someone
>else had took the gun
>from the closet unbeknownst to
>me. I just let
>down just once because I
>knew my diligent of emptying
>the gun. and that's the
>point of this topic.
>It only takes once.

***Glad you didn't ask me how I knew about the 22 situation, but even if your situation hadn't been cause by what you stated I just wanted to point out what happens when you empty them.

>As far as the shotgun goes.
> I probably would have
>had several years of hunting
>before you were even born.
> No hunter education, just
>get a gun and hunt.
>During those early days we
>were young and again I
>repeat a little dumb, but
>mainly we had what we
>had, and no money to
>pay for another gun or
>to have one fixed and
>that gun operated most of
>the time. So after
>that first incident, my cousin
>was very careful. Never the
>less it was unnerving and
>unsafe. We not only
>rode in the back of
>trucks, but stood up in
>the back of trucks, on
>the fenders of the older
>cars, we rode on tote-goats
>without helmets and the little
>kids, well they stood in
>the front and back seats
>of a moving vehicle.
>Most of our learning was
>by hard knocks. No
>wonder kids today never move
>away from home or move
>back and live with mommy
>and daddy. We were
>not controlled in the country
>as you are today, and
>yes we made some dumb
>mistakes.
>
>We lived the Golden Age of
>hunting and we're still alive.

*** I'm also an old timer (68 in a few months) and I agree with your statement in that I don't know how we all survived back then without bike helmets. inferior football equipment, and all the other stuff in use today that we didn't have!

Had a F'N Red Ryder when I was very Young!

The SOB was famous for not going off!(Trigger Problem!)

Like a Dummy I grabbed the Gun & started slamming the Butt on the Cement Porch!

Then the SOB went off with the BB striking me in the Eye!

F'N eh it Hurt!

Had to learn some of the Gun Safety the Hard Way!

At a very young age!

Had a Friend that is Terrified of Loaded Guns in the Vehicle pull a Nice Stunt!

Him and another Guy were Checking their Guns to make sure they were still on right before Hunting season!

They got in the Truck & My Friend asked the other Guy if his Gun was Un-Loaded!

The Guy says:Why Hell ya it's Un-Loaded!

My Friend Reaches over & Pulls the Trigger just to make sure!

BANG!!!

Cost Him a New 350 Chevy Engine Right then & There!

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

Out with a group of 16 or so other hunters back in '83. Driving whitetail deer in shotgun only area. I leaned my Browning auto 5 against a large oak. My friend was walking past when a sawbriar caught his leg. Well the sawbriar runs to the oak tree and knocks over the shotgun, which lands with a staub going right through the trigger guard. The staub releases the safety and fires the gun. I turn to see why my gun just went off and the second shot fires and hits me in the left chest. Took out 8 ribs, 4 going in and 4 going out.Takes out my spleen,lower lobe of left lung and my diaphragm. Spent 8 days in the hospital and I got to experience one of those harrowing helicopter rides! To this day I have a real phobia around folks carelessly pointing their weapons!

> Out with a group of
>16 or so other hunters
>back in '83. Driving whitetail
>deer in shotgun only area.
>I leaned my Browning auto
>5 against a large oak.
>My friend was walking past
>when a sawbriar caught his
>leg. Well the sawbriar runs
>to the oak tree and
>knocks over the shotgun, which
>lands with a staub going
>right through the trigger guard.
>The staub releases the safety
>and fires the gun. I
>turn to see why my
>gun just went off and
>the second shot fires and
>hits me in the left
>chest. Took out 8 ribs,
>4 going in and 4
>going out.Takes out my spleen,lower
>lobe of left lung and
>my diaphragm. Spent 8 days
>in the hospital and I
>got to experience one of
>those harrowing helicopter rides! To
>this day I have a
>real phobia around folks carelessly
>pointing their weapons!

So jainoon?

How have you got along/around since that happened?

Hope you're doing OK!

Well I have never let it slow me down. Been running n gunning ever since. Hunting or fishing year round, raised 3 beautiful children, and am still married to my high school sweetheart 35 years later. Gun safety runs foremost at my house! My whiteblood cells run high because of the spleenectomy but it hasn't negatively affected my lifestyle so far. I thank the Good Lord everyday for my blessings and I thank you ElkAssassin for asking.
Alan

> Well I have never
>let it slow me down.
>Been running n gunning ever
>since. Hunting or fishing year
>round, raised 3 beautiful children,
>and am still married to
>my high school sweetheart 35
>years later. Gun safety runs
>foremost at my house! My
>whiteblood cells run high because
>of the spleenectomy but it
>hasn't negatively affected my lifestyle
>so far. I thank the
>Good Lord everyday for my
>blessings and I thank you
>ElkAssassin for asking.
>Alan

Glad to hear you're doing OK jainoon!

I've seen some Stupid Stunts pulled with Guns!

Actually took Guns away from a few people in my Life!

Also Had a Gun pulled on me & yes the Pipe was full!

Then there are Accidents that just happen like yours!

Careful everybody!

1961, November 14th. Buffalo, Alberta. 7:30 a.m. Returned to the vehicle after a brief stock on a bunch of whitetail deer, father, myself, and two other 14 year old friends, prepared to get back in the car. (Nobody had ever heard of hunter safety, our hunter safety was your Dads telling us how handle our guns, where not to point it, and any of that sort of thing.) We we're facing each other, standing in a circle, next to the car, unloading our rifles. All were pointed more our less straight-up. In the process of emptying my rifle, and I still don't know exactly how, I was working the action and either already had my figure on the trigger or pulled the trigger, rather than opening the bolt (dyslexic action possibly). At any rate, I fired a 303 round over the head of two people standing directly in front of me. No one was hurt, beyond the sound, but scared the daylights out of me and three other people. I was embarrassed and ashamed beyond words. My Dad, a man of very few words (not at all like his mouthy son), didn't say much but I can't repeat the few things he did say online, I'd have to get a new login name! I have never forgetting nor do I ever think about it without getting cold chills.

At age 12 I was visiting my cousin and we decided to do a little pheasant hunting. He was a lot older than me, 13. He had a wild child little brother, that was hell on wheels. He was 10. At any rate, a week after out hunt, their Mom got into the front entry closet, where my cousins kept the shot gun, to get out the vacuum cleaner. In the process, she tangled something with the trigger, and the old Sears discharged a load up through the top of cabinet and into the ceiling, of their brand new house. I have no idea who put the shotgun back in the closet with a round in it but the cousin's told her it was me, and it might have been. Regardless, a careless mistake that could have been deadly.

Having escaped, with more luck than good management, I think some of those early experiences helped shape me into a more cautions adult and helpful I've helped my children and grandchild enjoy the shooting sports without the disasters and near disasters that I encountered.

Ya can't be to careful. I'd rather ask and offend you than get somebody hurt. :D

DC

The old winchesters that were issues to the military had the slam fire option. They were called trench guns. If this was a military issue winchester then slam fire was normal. I have had two instances of guns going off. Once was on my first deer hunt I was 10, my uncle wanted to make sure his safety worked and pulled the trigger in his truck. Cost him a new exhaust and manifold. Damn lucky he missed the block. The second time was when my father decided he was going to use my gunsmithing tools to give his winchester 300 a trigger job. I picked up his rifle, and thank god it was pointed in a safe direction, because it went off. The gun was in his bedroom next to his bed, apparently he didn't think anyone would touch it after he jacked a shell into it and left it there. Needless to say I made him repair the hole in the roof and he had the expense of purchasing a new trigger, and I charged him for the install because I told him don't touch my tools you have no clue what you are doing.

?If men were angels, no government would be
necessary.? John Adams

So?

It was Lumpy's Fault!:D

Tornados, earthquakes, train wrecks, divorces, epidemics and Wall Street crashes, all, my fault!

Mostly was the guy who put the bullet in the rifle that, "Cost Him a New 350 Chevy Engine Right then & There!

Oh.....it's a mess!

DC

LAST EDITED ON Apr-22-15 AT 08:19AM (MST)[p]Back in the mid 60's I had a 12 gauge JC Higgins (Wards) shotgun for waterfowl hunting. I hunted a lot in the salt water and that's really hard on guns. The safety button got rusted to the point it wouldn't function and, to my good fortune, the gun was frozen in the "fire" position. I soon discovered that you can shoot a lot faster if you don't have to worry about a damned safety.

All was well until I got excited about getting off a quick volley at some Canada Geese. I grabbed the gun and accidentally blew out two wooden ribs from my boat. I decided to take the gun apart and free up the safety that night.

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom