Damon Howatt Recurve bow

cannonball

Very Active Member
2369bow1_zps6230753b.jpg

This bow almost made it to my trash, but since my son was left-handed I asked him if he wanted it when he showed some interest. Seems he works with a couple of fellows who only shoot the recurve bow, no sights, or range finders. Now those are men. I purchased this bow in 1958 from Jay Thompson of Bucks Country. Little did I know that Damon Howatt recurves are one of the best and this bow which I purchsed used was built in 1957 by the creator(of the Bow) himself and the leather handle was cut with an obsidian knife and apparently is a collectors item now and some money.

Those were the days - I admire those like Jay Thompson and Dwayne Jolley who honed their skills to shoot straight, stalk game and judge distances.

The reason I didn't put this in the archery section was because there are old timers out there who probably don't do much archery hunting any more, but still like to hunt and really wouldn't appreciate the old stuff. I have a couple of friends who just threw their old bows away.

How many out there have pre-1960 bows?

I've a passel of recurves and a long bow, including a couple I made myself, but nothing that old. Glad that didn't make it into the trash!

That Bow/Similar Bow Cost me a/Some Nice Bucks back in 1980!

When they Out-Law Long Range Hunting,All StickFlippers will have to go back to a Long Bow as well!

[font color="redhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMsueOnu0kY

That bow cost me a lot of buck in the late 50's and 60's. The pull was 52# which was to heavy for me. I, like my friends, practiced quite a bit, but not enough. What I understand now is that this brand was the best of the best. It didn't help me shoot any better, but it is not coming de-laminated like a lot of other brands started doing from that time period. Todays purest of the recurve era, call the "cable guys" just worm dunkers, after meat and horns. They are the "fly fishers" of bow hunting who have risen above the challenge.

I have a couple of bows in my collection, a Bear Grizzly 49# 62" and a Bear Kodiak 50# 52" - the Grizzly was manufactured around 1959-1960 and the Kodiak in the 1970's - the Grizzly looks similar to the Damon Recurve bow. Would post a picture of the bows but not smart enough to figure out that process. I used the Grizzly and another bow 35# Ben Pearson in the 1960's.

Aceman

I've got a Bear Cub 1953 from the late 50's/60's. Let's have a 20 yard competition, I'll bet you can out shoot me! Those recurves were way too modern for me. You older guy could always afford the good stuff!

Lumpy, I had a hard time setting the string and only pulled it back until I strained myself. I wouldn't even have had a competition with you during my hay-day. Davey's friends got all excited when they found out it was a old Howatt bow. He was making them by hand then and I think the company may still going. I had heard those old bows would break, but these recurve guys said not with that bow. Davey has already shot it with these fellows and one happens to be left handed so he was excited to shoot it. It was a 52 lb and I purchased it from Jay Thompson who went to a 45 lb. Big mistake for me. Who ever shoots that bow better do a lot of weight lifting.

Lumpy, I hope you stay as camp tender on the bow hunt. That hunt is for the youngsters, even if we still act like kids, we're not. I could handle it again if they would blacktop the mountains so they are smooth.

45# Damon Howatt bow for me. However, not as old as yours. Mine was bought in 1973 when I was a freshman in High School. Haven't used mine in many years, but it still hangs on the wall at my hunting cabin.

After shooting a 65 lb compound for awhile, I pulled it back one day and could hardly hold it at full draw!

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-15 AT 03:43PM (MST)[p]Camp tender, your butt. I could still kill a buck with mine, from a tree stand. Oh wait.............Cody got rid of my tree stand, years ago, damn wife!

I still string mine up now and again, when I'm feeling frisky, and take a few shots at "the barn door", until I lose all my arrows.

You know, that old Bear Cub seems to be getting more brittle though, I can tell. It don't draw back near as far as it used to. Must be because mines a Bear and you got the good stuff, as usual.

Ole Thompson never did care much for me, he give you the gold mine and gave me the shaft.

DC

PS: I thought you'd be get'ten a little strength back, after enrolling in those Yoga classes.

Yoga classes? That's for you dudes. I get a real workout when I ride my bicycle all over the Western Mountains while I watch Gun Smoke. Even pass a stagecoach now and then.

If you are shooting your old re-curve all of the strength have gone out of the limbs.

I heard the Judge tell you, "if they picked you up for using your water pipe again they were going to put you back on three square a day, at the county's expense". Is Jerry Garcia driving that stage you're passing?

I can still draw it back but you better not be stand'en anywhere with-in 180 degrees in front of me, when I turn her loose!

DC

LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-15 AT 10:00PM (MST)[p]I think my Browning recurve is early '60s. Killed a exotic ram with it so far and have had it as a backup on an elk and pronghorn hunt. Even though I don't shoot it as often as I should I can still hit the paper plate at 30 with it every time.

I cut my archery teeth shooting trad.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom