Damascus knife blanks

feddoc

Long Time Member
I'm hoping RELH or one of you other smart fellas can point me in the right direction.

It's for an uncle of a friend of mine.

I haven't made one with Damascus but I have done a pile of knives. I use Jantz to get my knife materials.
http://www.knifemaking.com/Default.asp

Idaho%20Knife%20Blue%209%20small_zps7aeauhlp.jpg

Dell%207%20Small_zpshhpfckhq.jpg

Grandpa%20knife%2021%20small_zpsoskv3kr3.jpg

Feddoc, if you are looking for a Damascus knife blank that is finished and all you have to do is the handle work. Be careful what you buy. A lot of cheap middle east blanks on the market, such as E-Bay, that have been made with scrap steel and will not harden enough to hold a good edge.
If you want a quality blank that will not require you to mortgage the house, go to the Alabama Damascus Steel web site. That is where I get my Damascus billets to make Damascus knives. They also sell finished knife blanks for a customer to finish the handle work.
Those blanks have been harden to 58-60RC and etched and semi sharpen.

RELH

Check with Cris Peterson, Aurora, Utah. He used to sell a lot of blank Damascus blades.

DC

LAST EDITED ON Feb-13-16 AT 05:15PM (MST)[p]If those blanks are U.S.A. brand, I would stay away from them as they are only heat treated to a hardness of 55RC which is the quality of cheap China made 400 series knives. Will not get you though field dressing and skinning out one deer without having to stop and touch up the cutting edge.
Price wise and for good quality, Alabama Damascus is one of the best made here in the states.
There is other great makers of Damascus here, but a lot of their prices run 15-22 dollars per inch and Jantz knife supply sells a few of them.

I am not familiar with the guy in Utah, and if he makes his own Damascus or resells blanks from another maker, so I can not comment on his blades.

RELH

Bess I do not do gut hooks and I do not use pre-made blades. When are you going to learn how to use a proper knife without cutting open the gut bag?

RELH

Hey RELH!

Figured I'd Try one more Time!:D

[font color="blue"]"This is the USA where people get Paid to Watch
People that are
Watching You!"[/font]

Yeah! between that caliber and his 50 cal tune up rifle, he just blows the insides out. Heck all he needs a knife for is to remove the hide.

RELH

RELH/eel, I think we've misunderstood BC's need for a gut-hook blade.

When you eat raw meat, you need a little extra angle on the ole Arkansas Tooth-pick. BC takes the plaque off the back side of his molars with gut-hook blades and it's tough to find any of the Hatfield quality.

I'm telling ya, it was frightful seeing him trying to "floss" after lunch Saturday, with that drop point you built for him last time RELH!

I think you should sacrifice your "what's right" principles, seeing as every body else around here is willing to do so, and buff out a "plaque hook" for the boy!

I'm sure I over heard him say he'd give a SFW consulting fee equivalent for a new Hatfield. Just whip it out and send him the invoice, he's good for, I'm prudy sur.

DC

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom