dall sheep

R

roado

LAST EDITED ON Jun-29-11 AT 02:47PM (MST)[p]I am headed on my first archery dall sheep hunt in august in the NWT and I am trying to decide which arrows to use. I am opting for a lighter arrow but in doing so sacrifice some kinetic energy, especially at longer distances. Never having skinned a dall sheep, i was wondering how thick their skin/cape is???? I assume they are relatively thin skinned? If this is not the case then I will switch to a heavier arrow and give up the flatter trajectory of a lighter arrow. Thanks for the help.

Don

Don,
I'm headed to Alaska in Aug for Dall and I'm going with the lightweight arrows. From everything i've heard and read they are not difficult to kill if you can get one in them.
Good Luck with your hunt.
Dustin

Thanks for the reply's. That's what I had heard, kinda like an antelope, thin skinned and die rather easily. Guess I will stick with the Easton Flatliners... Good luck on your Alaska hunt Dustin.

Don

Light arrows should work fine. I get better penetration at a longer distance when the arrow stabilizes and ocillating slows.
You probably already know all this and then some if you're hunting sheep with a bow.

I've skinned several Dall and a couple Stone and they're about like a deer or pronghorn for skin thickness.

I've never shot one with a stick but it should be a ton of fun for you. Good luck and keep us posted.

Zeke

Shot a dall last year slightly quartering away, 365g arrow traveling at 306fps with a large cutting diameter expandable. Arrow didn't pass through but easily came out the other side at 51 yds The above posts are spot on, especially early season!

TJ

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom