dall sheep

mntman

Long Time Member
Have any of you ever went with "High adventure Air" for a dall sheep hunt? I am thinking about booking a trip with them to hunt in 2 or 3 years... what was your experience like?

I am not too concerned with the quality of sheep, it would be my first trip so would just be concerned with getting any legal ram.

Thanks,
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

LAST EDITED ON Mar-19-11 AT 04:15PM (MST)[p]http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/1244dallsheep005.jpg

Never killed one but did the sneak on a number of nice rams with my Nikon years ago and captured their image on film. Of those efforts, this is probably the largest ram of all.

Ike
http://www.ingramwildlife.com/

I don't know High Adventure Air, but I would be careful to check lots of references. There are lots of outfitters out there that just want your money and you need to be sure that they are in this to find you a sheep. I also know that Alaskan sheep hunts are tough now days and finding any legal ram is definitely not a sure thing. I have a few friends who have come home without even having a chance at a legal ram. If High Adventure is decent you could contact them and they could give you a list of clients to call. Ask for all of last years clients and call as many as you can.
I went to the NWT last year and it was amazing, but hunting white sheep up there is twice as pricey as Alaska. Good luck!

I went to AK. 2000 and it was a tuff hunt to find a legal ram.My sisters husband got a sheep.I hunted NWT 2006 and I saw lot's of sheep and I did a lot of hard hiking to get my sheep.That same hunt is a lot more money now.

I haven't hunted with High Adventure Air but will second what some of the others have said that it may not be the dream hunt you are expecting.

I hunted last year and after eight days and 50 miles with a pack and rain every day I never saw a legal ram. A ram had to be eight years old to be legal and I came to the conclusion by the time they reached that age they were either shot or died of natural causes. There was a lot of sheep but nothing legal.

My hunt of a life time turned out to be a disappointment of a life time.

You might want to consider an outfitter that uses horses so you could cover more ground. I hunted areas on foot that other outfitters had hunted on horses. I felt this put me at a disadvantage.

I don't know anything about the outfit in the OP, but there are going to be a lot of outfitters out of business in 2-3 years due to the new concession program up there. You might ask them what they think their prospects are of being issued a concession(s), and still being in business.

I have hunted with High Adventure several times but not for sheep. When I hunted with them we shot some great moose and caribou. They were in the process of getting the sheep thing going and my brother and I booked our sheep hunts with another outfitter (big mistake). After booking I talked with Greg Bell one of the owners of High Adventure and he told me they now were guiding for sheep. Following our unsuccessful hunt we stopped into High Adventures office while in the area to fish for silvers and their hunter had just got back from killing a nice ram. If they run their sheep hunt anything like their other hunts I would not have one second of hesitation hunting sheep with them. If I ever get enough money ahead and can go on another hunt for dall I would definately book with them if hunting in Alaska. Greg and Mark Bell are two really great guys and their planes etc are in great shape.

Can't speak about thier sheep hunts. But really run an honest operations without any smoke an mirrors. I understand they only do one sheep hunt a year and it is hard to book. Not a big ram area...any legal sheep is in big trouble

I would look into Todd Walton and Alaska Big Game Safaris. I hunted with him in 2009, had a great time and killed a 39.5x38 inch ram. He is a great guy that will do his all to get you your ram. He has a 100% success on sheep the last 4 years but only takes 3-4 hunters. The price is right also!
Bryan

You didn't ask for other suggestions, but I would second the opinion above on Todd Walton. Straightest shooter you'll ever deal with.

>Stay in Canada for Dall's; either
>the Yukon or the NWT(my
>favorite).

KingCrow
I have hunted Alaska as well as the Yukon and the NWT for Dall Sheep.
I would contact a guy in Alberta, he has been guiding in both the Yukon and NWT for over 30 years and I believe he still takes a couple clients a year to some big sheep.
Brent Sinclair is who I would talk to, if he can not personally guide you he will arrange for you to have a quality hunt with a very high percentage opportunity for a big DallRam provided you are in good physical condition.
This is his contact email informtion
[email protected]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom