Dall sheep hunter success 09?

cjboz

Very Active Member
I thought some Dalls or Stones should be hitting the ground by now? Any pics or story's yet?

Seems the BC residents have been having some amazing success this year on Stones. Some CRANKERS killed thus far this year. If your search the recent threads on the Mainland hunting forum on HuntingBC.ca you'll see some of the resident success.

A Nevada friend (sheep guide) has sent me a few photos of some outstanding Stone's. One was killed by a lady archer.

I've got a buddy from AK and he's been sending me 3-4 pics a week of some outstanding dalls they've been killing. He's also sent some pics of some cranker stones.

I killed a great ram in Alaska with Todd Walton of Alaska Big Game Safaries. What a great hunt with an awesome guide. The camp went three for three on sheep. Mine was the last to be shot on day 5 of the hunt. 39 1/2 x 38 ram. I'll get some pictures up when I figure this resizing out.
Bryan

Hunted with Dan Reynolds in the Yukon and got this 15 year old ram on day 7 of an 8 day hunt. We had some pretty brutal weather but somehow missed out on the smoke/fire problems encountered on the early August hunts. Dan has a remarkable area and some very exceptional guides (Franklin and Carson) working the sheep hunts...their goal is to harvest 10 year + old rams and the first 6 rams taken this year were all over 11. Can't say enough good things about Dan's operation!

4aaecb8e1658e4dc.jpg

Here is the picture of my ram I took with Todd Walton and Alaska Big Game Safaris. Also in the picture is Mark Hill Todd's other guide and the taxidermist(Ridgeline Taxidermy (406)859-5274, who will be doing my mount.
Bryan
4aaf9d3821d55fa9.jpg

B191,
That is a cranker ram and it sounds like it was quite an adventure! I imagine the pressure was on being the next to the last day of the hunt. That weather thing with sheep is sometimes brutal! Nice job

Here are some more pictures.
4aaffb5e3729b2cc.jpg

Here is one of Todd doing some glassing.
4aaffbbd3c6d716d.jpg

One of sheep country.
4aaffc163e76000f.jpg

I hunted with Carson as my guide in the NWT at Stan Simpson's in 2007. I got a dall, a caribou, and a wolf and had the time of my life. He is a top notch guide and a great guy. He had told me he was guiding for Reynold's this year. It looks as if it is going well. That is a perfect ram you have there.

I killed my ram from a group of 12 rams, 6 of which where solid legal rams. We were able to look them over for 20-30 minutes picking mine as the best but we spooked them trying to get closer. I was able to sort him out of the group as they ran up the mountain at about 300 yds. It was a total suprise to all three of us when we walked up to find he was only 7 years old. He was the best of 35 or so rams I was able to look over on the hunt. Good genetics was his curse. At 39 1/2 x 38 and 14 3/8 bases he scores just shy of 158 a very respectable sheep for the Alaska range.
After we got back to town I saw a sheep from the Chugach that was also 7 years old but was 41x15+ for 166+! Talk about genetics!
Bryan

Thanks for posting pics and stories!! Glad you all had a sfe and enjoyable hunt. I hope in a few years I will post some of the "great white sheep". Thanks and keep them coming!

>After we got back to town
>I saw a sheep from
>the Chugach that was also
>7 years old but was
>41x15+ for 166+! Talk about
>genetics!

Presumably killed by a lady from Texas?

Great ram! Congratulations.

Yes, killed by a lady that was hunting with Dan Montgomery. I didnt know where she was from.
Bryan

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom