dall sheep hunt help

R

RaiderNation

I was hoping there is someone on the board here who could share some help on past dall sheep hunts ? I'm looking at a 2 or 3 year planning time frame. Would appreciate any and all help. Thanks.

IT WOULD REALLY DEPEND ON WHAT TYPE OF DALL SHEEP EXPERIENCE YOU ARE LOOKING FOR. WHEN YOU SPEND THAT MUCH $$$$ THERE ARE AT LEAST 10- 15 FACTORS TO CONSIDER, THINGS THAT WILL MAKE OR BREAK YOUR OVERALL EXPERIENCE. I JUST HUNTED DALLS IN AUG./2005 IT WAS ALOT OF FUN. SEND ME A PM, I CAN MOST LIKELY HELP. YD.

100% with Dan Mongomery! I have hunted with him in 2003 and 2005. I got a 40 1/2" sheep this fall. He is the best at it in my opinion!

IF you want a nice average ram utilizing horses. Talk to YUKONDALL.

If you want your optimal chance at a GIANT RAM .... BIG RAMS ... you now have 3 yrs to condition yourself for a "backpack" style hunt that gives you the best opportunity.

Top two choices you will have are -

Arctic Red River Outfitters with Kelly Hougan

I have a good friend who guided for him, and I personally met their head guide, Tavis Molnar one day while hunting sheds. A great guy and very personable. The sheep guides are top notch.

http://www.arcticred-nwt.com/

Biased you may ask ??? Not really - no other outfit produces the number, and quality of dall sheep these guys do, their average sizes speak for themselves.

Far better than horse hunting.

The other outfit worth considering is MacKenzie Mountain Outfitters with Stan Stevens.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-04-05 AT 06:45AM (MST)[p]BCBucks,

You truly are a piece of work. A guy asks for advice, and you've got to stroke your own ego by running someone else down. If I remember correctly, YUKONDALL killed a beautiful 38" ram. This would make it slightly larger than Kelly Hougen's average.

I'm not sure what you consider a GIANT Dall, but for me it would be a booner. Sure, Arctic Red kills a large number of 40+" rams, but only a very small percentage make 170 B&C. If a guy goes on a sheep hunt in the North, and worries only about inches and score he sure misses what the experience is all about.

I think you need to re-evaluate your thinking, as a sheep hunt, of any kind, is something special. If a guy hunts in fair chase, conducts himself in a manner that honors himself and the ram then the hunt is an outstanding one. I believe that Jack O'Connor had you in mind when he said something to the effect of: Sheep hunting, above all else, should be reserved for those who understand and respect the priviledge.

We are entitled to opinions and its nice to hear yours !!

Perhaps I'm a little hard on Yukondall ... he did kill a pretty sheep most would give their right nut to get ....

However - I still stand by what I say on larger than average rams should a hunter want a chance at one. Its my opinion and many will agree and I also realize many will disagree.

btw - Hougans average included those big old broomed 12 yr old rams :)

As stated previously there are a lot of factors to consider. I am going in August '06. I would love to go to Canada but could not afford it. Probably bigger rams in Canada but I did not want a Boone and crockett score to drive my decisions. Do not overlook Alaska as you can save a few bucks and they take a fair amount of 37-40 inch rams in the open units. Check out the photo gallery of Matt Snyder. Granted most of his 40 inchers come from the Tok unit but he and other Alaska guides are taking good rams in the open units. I figure I will save about $5,000 and still have an experience I am happy with.

COZMO, I THINK YOU MADE A PRETTY GOOD CHOICE/ EVEN IF YOU DONT GET THAT TOK TAG. MATT TAKES SOME GREAT SHEEP, HAVE A GREAT HUNT/ GOOD LUCK. YD.

Thanks for the help so far. I have looked into all of the above mentioned guides. I would prefer backpack type of hunt but do not have my heart set on it. I'm not looking for a record book sheep, just a nice mature representative. Thanks so far.

I had a good buddy go with Arctic Red River Outfitters this past Sept. He went 3 for 3 on dall, moose, and mt. caribou. He had nothing but good things to say about the hunt and outfit.......he is going again in 2007. :)

Lien2

I have never heard a bad word about Kelly Hougens operation and he has a lot of very satisfied customers. I was on a plan ride back from the NWT with some guys that had hunted with Stan Stevens and they all got nice rams but they were not overly impressed with his operation.

I have found that most all of the sheep in the McKenzie mountains will be about the same size regardless of who the outfitter is. It is my opinion that the average NWT Dall ram is much better than the avrage Alaska ram, but the top end rams seem to always come from Alaska. I hunted this past fall with Harold Grinde and Gane River Outfitters and his area is just infested with sheep. I don't think you will find a more honest Christian man than Harold Grinde. My experience was top-notch in every category. As for the horseback or backpack, I would just do whatever added to the experience for you. My opinion is the backpack hunts have a much better success rate on larger rams.

I can't afford it right now but when I can I will be going with Kelly Hougen. I've never heard anything bad about them. FWIW
-MN

Roger, What was it that the guys on the plane did not like about Stan Stevens operation? I hunted dall's with Stan in July and had an excellent trip. I was the last one in camp to shoot a ram on day 8 but I was confident I would get one. The other sheep hunters in camp were tagged out within the first 3 days and all took nice Caribou. I shot a 11.5 year old ram with 34.5 x 35 inch curls. Not a 40 incher but a respectable ram and a good representative of the area. I would recommend Stan to anyone and hope to hunt with him again someday.

Bullgetter,

I met the guys at Norman Wells on my return trip and we compared their experience with our group that hunted with Gana River and another group that hunted with Kelly Hougen. They just commented that their experience wasn't nearly as positive as ours. Keep in mind these are guys that I had never met before so they might be the type of hunters that are never satisfied.

Roger

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom