Dall sheep 2008

marley

Very Active Member
Finally got the okay from my wife to go on a dall sheep hunt in 2008 or 2009. I have started my research on where and with who as my outfitter and wanted to see what you guys/gals would recommend. I know that most people will recommend their outfitter unless they had an extremely miserable hunt which is not often, but I am looking to book with the tried and true for consistently producing good rams (37" plus). An info. and contact information would be greatly appreciated. I apologize if this subject has been pounded before. Thanks.

If you find an opening for 2008 I would be wondering why they are not booked. I Booked with Braun Kosack in AK, last year I got his last opening in 2011. He has a GREAT reputation. I also have been following Gana, they are great too.

If you want a die hard sheep hunt try Seahook Adventures or charters. I've been watching him over the last 4 years and that guy is an animal. He packs over 120 pound packs and gets his clients on some big ones. Try a web search using the word Seahook. My brother lives in Alaska so I don't need a guide but if I did I would try to go with Seahook.

Thanks for the info. it gives me a good place to start. Price is not too much of an issue. My struggle has been whether to spend the same amount of money to get one dall or go to Africa and come home with 8-10 animals. Both are hunts that I definitely have high on my priority list. I think that I want to do dall first as the price seems to go up much quicker than African hunts and I am 30 years old and in good shape now. Africa hunts can be old man out of shape hunts. That 120 pound pack hunt sounds like my cup of tea. Again thanks for the help.

Dall now. Africa is flat and easy, Alaska is not. AK mountains are not getting shorter! You can do Africa later in life when you are not in as good of shape, plus likely be then you will be better off financially and be aboe to really enjoy it and take some nice game. That is my plan.

Don V

What is Braun going to do now that some of his hunt areas are permit only?

I hope it doesn't mess you up. If I was to go on another hunt, Braun would be at the top of my list. The guy is a white sheep asassin!

You will not find better than Harold Grinde and Gana River. I had 5 friends hunt with Harold this year and all got great rams. One friend hunted with him for the 8th consecutive year.

Roger

If you have the bucks, I am told the best dalls are in the NWT.
The hunts up there are more money for that reason. I don't know about availablility but if I were in your shoes, I would definitely check with Arctic Red River (Kelley Hogan). I have yet to hunt white sheep, but I am told he is the best. Good luck!

The best outfitter for Dall's is Tim Mervyn Of Mervyns Yukon Outfitting. I was there a couple of years ago, you won't find any better or a better area for trophy rams. His track record speaks for itself, do some research and talk to his past clients, you'll see what I mean. I'd go back in a heartbeat and probably will. You may spend a little more with him but it is well well worth it.

I too have heard good stuff about Gana.

As for Braun I am not sure but it realy has me nervous. I have not spoken with him yet, I left him a message last week. I am sure he will still guide sheep since he loves to hunt them, but I am worried what is left OTC will get pounded. I will know more when I speak with him.

If you can wait 3 years and go on the waiting list go to NWT or the Yukon.You can also go to Alaska,put in on the draw hunts and book with R&R guide service or Matt Snyder.I hunted with R&R this past August and killed a great ram. Rob with R&R got me in on fairly short notice.

RS

Kelly Hougen and the folks at Arctic Red some one of the best.
I think they are booked out till 2011. I think anyone worth their salt is probably booked out for a couple years anyway. Lots of time to get in top shape and dream of big rams. Hell, Half the fun is in the prepartation.
472ac0a01ca9e054.jpg

Its not a draw. Just empty the account.

Hope the kids get in school by way of sports or academics.LOL

Jagr:

If I had to empty out my account for a sheep hunt, that would be the one. That ram of yours was an exceptional trophy !

I have hunted with Arctic Red twice, harvested two nice rams and am booked for 2010. Strictly backpack hunting but the area, people, equipment, genetics, etc., are second to none. Everyone gets the same opportunity with Kelly as well. So you don't have to worry about them saving a ram or having someone fly into the area and kill a huge ram, then fly out, none of that B.S. Mervyn has good sheep as well but the country is a lot less physical and his hunts are horseback. Look at Kelly's hunt report and pay attention to how many of his hunters are repeat! In my mind, that speaks volumes for his operation. The Chugach and Tok units in AK have the best genetics in North America but you have to draw the tag. Bonnett Plum recently changes hands and I have heard good things about the new owners.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom