Dake or Sanderson?

Roy

For the Wrestling fans on here - hope you got a chance to catch the NCAA Finals this weekend. As always some great wrestling. The Finals were all they had been hyped up to be. I thought the best two matches were Quentin Wright vs. Dustin Kilgore to seal the deal for Penn State and of course Dake over Taylor at 165 for his 4th NCAA Championship in 4 different weight classes. That kid can ride and has perfect balance. He is fun to watch. I also liked the Brown vs. Perry match at 174. Brown almost had that takedown in regulation to seal it! Perry rode him hard though in OT and earned the win. Brown will get one before it is over though - tough kid from Utah.

So, with only 3 wrestlers (Sanderson, Smith and now Dake)ever winning 4 titles, this puts Dake on the Mt. Rushmore of NCAA wrestling (the other 3 being Sanderson, Smith, and Gable) - no doubt. The big question that every one is asking though is was which was a greater accomplishment Sanderson going undefeated over 4 years or Dake winning at 4 seperate weight classes. Both are impressive, but I tend to think Sanderson going 159-0 is the bigger accomplishment, and was a 2 different weight classes too. Dude didn't hardly even get taken down for 4 straight years. Dake is awesome, but he won a lot of close matches, I just don't see him in the same class as Sanderson.

Curious to know what you think - also if my "Mt. Rushmore" is off, then tell me what it should be.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

>For the Wrestling fans on here
>- hope you got a
>chance to catch the NCAA
>Finals this weekend. As always
>some great wrestling. The Finals
>were all they had been
>hyped up to be. I
>thought the best two matches
>were Quentin Wright vs. Dustin
>Kilgore to seal the deal
>for Penn State and of
>course Dake over Taylor at
>165 for his 4th NCAA
>Championship in 4 different weight
>classes. That kid can ride
>and has perfect balance. He
>is fun to watch. I
>also liked the Brown vs.
>Perry match at 174. Brown
>almost had that takedown in
>regulation to seal it! Perry
>rode him hard though in
>OT and earned the win.
>Brown will get one before
>it is over though -
>tough kid from Utah.
>
>So, with only 3 wrestlers (Sanderson,
>Smith and now Dake)ever winning
>4 titles, this puts Dake
>on the Mt. Rushmore of
>NCAA wrestling (the other 3
>being Sanderson, Smith, and Gable)
>- no doubt. The big
>question that every one is
>asking though is was which
>was a greater accomplishment Sanderson
>going undefeated over 4 years
>or Dake winning at 4
>seperate weight classes. Both are
>impressive, but I tend to
>think Sanderson going 159-0 is
>the bigger accomplishment, and was
>a 2 different weight classes
>too. Dude didn't hardly even
>get taken down for 4
>straight years. Dake is awesome,
>but he won a lot
>of close matches, I just
>don't see him in the
>same class as Sanderson.
>
>Curious to know what you think
>- also if my "Mt.
>Rushmore" is off, then tell
>me what it should be.
>
>
>
>
>HOOK 'EM!
>_______________________________________
>
>Since I am frequently asked about
>my religion on this site
>and others, I have created
>a profile that explains my
>beliefs. If you are interested
>in finding out more about
>my faith, please visit the
>link below:
>
>http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Sanderson!

Dake is a beast no doubt, but I have to agree with you on Sanderson. The dude never lost a match in 4 years and was DOMINANT!! To do that at that level of wrestling is unbelievable and a testament to how good he was. Not to mention his near perfect (if not perfect) record in high school and of course the gold medal in the Olympics.

I wish wrestling got more respect as a sport than it does. It takes a tough dude (mentally and physically) to succeed on the mat.

Dake is a great, great wrestler, one of the best but IMO he has a ways to go before he is considered better than Sanderson.

I hate it that the IOC has decided to drop wrestling as an olympic event.

Yeah - that was just an idiotic, greedy, politically motivated move. The problem had been brewing for a few years though. FILA was basically a weakened organization that had already made too many concessions and had suffered under the previous president's tenure (weak and corrupt). Hopefully they can still fight for it and get it back. There is some major political pressure being put on the IOC. It is a long shot, but not out of the realm of possibilities.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom