Dads Youth Mentored Screw Up

H

huntindork

So I am not sure what to do and I only have 5 days to decide with out anytime to scout prior to deadline line to buy tags!!! Here is the story. So I put my 12 year old son (whom like his dad breathes for hunting)in for the youth mentored tag for 44 both deer and elk as did my hunting partner and I. We all decided to put in singles for better odds of drawing. As luck would have it my hunting partner and I both got drawn for deer and he got drawn for elk. We were all pretty excited until I realized I needed a tag for the "SAME SPECIES" in the same unit in order to utilize the youth mentored program. So after calling IDFG, they said I can buy an out of state spike only bow tag and go with him which is pretty spendy for hunting a spike elk and the other issue is trying to find him an elk at the same time as I am trying to find myself a deer. I have never hunted the unit but have been in it and around it alot. I really don't know what to expect for elk. Is it worth it? What would you do?

My kids are both young adults. It happens fast, I would make it all about the kid. Make sure that him having fun comes first & success is second to that & you will hook him. Congrats on the draws.

That scenario should not be about you harvesting anything, it should be about you spending time with and teaching your boy all about hunting and the outdoors. I'd buy a non res elk tag if it meant that I was able to hunt with one of my kids.

I was never lucky enough to have kids.But has luck would have it my brother did and he was always to busy to take his boy.
So He went with me and I did not tag out for three years.And I have never regretted it once .To see the look on his face after he taken his first Buck was priceless.
Your son hunt should be number one.

45 ACP for when you have seconds to live and the police are only minutes away

Yes, buy the tag.

I have 3 son's and 1 loves to hunt like me, one like's to hunt, and one will occasionally go hunting. I enjoy every minute with any that will go.

That said, I don't think you have to vacate your deer hunt to make it ALL about your son's elk hunt. Frankly Unit 44 is a much better deer hunt than elk hunt. I would take a few days and make it all about one and then all about the other, though honestly you can run into either species about anywhere. Your son is likely to get a kick out of Dad getting a chance at a big buck.

Let him shoot the first legal elk you find, I wouldn't not trophy hunt his tag. I did that for my middle son and ate an amazing tag after passing many he would have been happy to shoot at age 13. You obviously, should be a little pickier.

We are scouting for my buddies 44 buck tag, so while I can't help you with where the big bucks are, as season rolls around contact me via PM and I'll give you a run down on where we are seeing elk.

Brian

Timing is everything...looks like they are changing the rule so in the future the mentor does not have to have the tag in the same unit, just same species. Still will have to have a tag, so maybe it wouldn't help much. Anyway, good luck with a good situation!

Well I bought the tag for him. I live about 8 hours from there so scouting will be 1-2 weekends at best for both the deer and the elk. Brian- That would be great. I could use all the help I can on that.

F&G just changed the rule to where you have to have a tag for the same species, but it doesn't have to be for the same unit.

You should have enough time to swap it out if you want.

Hopefully this guy is still around?

I will check into it and see. I did buy his tag and haven't bought mine yet. No w luck would have it the unit is burning up.

Idaho fish and game just posted this on facebook today. Hopefully this helps you out.

Rule Changes for Nonresident Junior Mentored Tags
The Idaho Fish and Game Commission earlier this month approved a change in the mentor requirements for holders of the nonresident junior mentored hunt tag.

Under the new rule, the mentor is still required to have tag for same species but it doesn't have to be for the same area. The change takes effect immediately as a temporary rule, but it is subject to legislative review as a proposed rule.

The holder of a junior mentored tag must have a junior mentored hunting license and must be accompanied by adult license holder with a tag for the same species. The junior mentored deer and elk tags are not valid for bear, gray wolf or mountain lion.

The junior mentored hunter and the mentor must be close enough to be within normal conversation or hearing range without shouting or the aid of electronic devices.

That's good news and will at least allow me to hunt a unit I can shoot a bull in. Thanks for the heads up Femor!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom