D-17 Closure

B

BPorter

Hello everyone.
I just signed up for this forum, and this is my first post,
looks like a great bunch of hunters on here.

I have a question that I need answered by someone with inside information. I was lucky enough to get drawn for D-17 this year, and have spent previous years hunting out there, mainly within the Mojave Preserve boundaries.

I am hearing that the Preserve is closed to hunting and recreation during the Gov't shutdown. Rumor has it that Preserve rangers and BLM will be riding and patrolling together, first telling you that you must leave the Preserve, then based on their judgement of how you react, can cite you with a $5,000 fine.

Unfortunately I have not had much luck scouting and locating deer out of the preserve boundaries, as the habitat is pretty desolate outside of the preserve. It looks like my season is over unless I can get some concrete answers on the closure. Of course NPS and BLM websites and phones are down during the closure also. Fish and Wildlife is claiming they know nothing about the closure.

Any help with answers or information on the closure or fines would be greatly appreciated.

Brett.

Seems kind of odd that BLM and Preserve Rangers would be out there patrolling, which means working, if they are not getting paid. Perhaps you could check with state agencies, they might have answers. Good luck.

>Seems kind of odd that BLM
>and Preserve Rangers would be
>out there patrolling, which means
>working, if they are not
>getting paid. Perhaps you
>could check with state agencies,
>they might have answers.
>Good luck.

That was my first thought exactly.... But land owners in the Preserve have confirmed the $5,000 fine rumor.

Not sure what to believe considering Fish and Wildlife claim that they have no dog in the fight, and NPS and BLM are not answering calls.

It's my understanding the Preserve belongs to the NATIONAL Fish & Wildlife Service (Feds). All wildlife Preserves and refuges that are federally run are closed to all traffic and entry during the government shutdown.....so they are correct.

BLM and USFS lands have minimal impact, as only improved campgrounds, high impact areas, etc. are closed. The rest of the forest/area is open for recreation.

CA Department of F&W (formerly CA DFG) does not have a dog in this fight, as they are a state agency.

BOHNTR )))---------->

One thing I can tell you as slow as our court systems runs know body has paid a 5,000$ fine for trespassing since the shut down yet, I am sure they are reading from signs posted in the area that claim if caught trespassing you could pay up to a 5,000$ fine.

Thank you for the replies.

It looks like I will be trying to find deer out of the Preserve, which I know is possible.

I just choose to not risk a fine, or possibly have my animal and or gun confiscated.

I wouldn't ask, I wouldn't call, I'd go hunt.

When you go swimming in the ocean, it is very cold, and it makes my willy small

WTF kind of logic is this? "We had better patrol to make sure that no one enters the preserve 'cause it won't be safe--there's no around to patrol it!"?

It seems if they have the people to patrol it, they can leave it open.

Just go. It's your land and your deer.

Eel

Brett
I would drive it a few times and see if their are other hunters doing the same thing, and maybe run across a ranger or someone in the area then ask if they have talked with a ranger. Check out Hole in the wall campground and see if their is campers that are camping, BUT I wouldn't just give up the hunt not by a long shot.
Remember to have a lock on your gun case also and your bullets is another area. That main rd is still a drive thru from the 40 to the 15.

Go and kill a big one and if you need a Big pair of Bino let me know you can get one of mine with tripod.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

>It's my understanding the Preserve belongs
>to the NATIONAL Fish &
>Wildlife Service (Feds). All
>wildlife Preserves and refuges that
>are federally run are closed
>to all traffic and entry
>during the government shutdown.....so they
>are correct.
>
>BLM and USFS lands have minimal
>impact, as only improved campgrounds,
>high impact areas, etc. are
>closed. The rest of
>the forest/area is open for
>recreation.
>
>CA Department of F&W (formerly CA
>DFG) does not have a
>dog in this fight, as
>they are a state agency.
>
>
>BOHNTR )))---------->

THe Preserve is National Park Service land. All FED Law Enforcement have to work during the Shut down. They are not getting paid but working for IUO's. Just like all Fed FireFighters as well I know because im working for free. Im not sure how they can enforce closing the Preseve fully for it is a very big place. The only thing they would do if you were there is ask you to leave. No fines or anything like that. Its not there fault that the Government shut down, they have to do what is ordered of them at this time. I know most of the BLM rangers out there and they are all Hunters and they feel everyones pain (its effecting them to). I hope all this shut down crap ends soon for I have kids to feed and bills to pay and right now I cant afford to go hunt till some paychecks start rolling in.

" I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks"
Daniel Boone

>Brett
>I would drive it a few
>times and see if their
>are other hunters doing the
>same thing, and maybe run
>across a ranger or someone
>in the area then ask
>if they have talked with
>a ranger. Check out Hole
>in the wall campground and
>see if their is campers
>that are camping, BUT I
>wouldn't just give up the
>hunt not by a long
>shot.
>Remember to have a lock on
>your gun case also and
>your bullets is another area.
>That main rd is still
>a drive thru from the
>40 to the 15.
>
>Go and kill a big one
>and if you need a
>Big pair of Bino let
>me know you can get
>one of mine with tripod.
>
>
>"I have found if you go
>the extra mile it's Never
>crowded".
>>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Well, Gator we went out yesterday, and did a little road hunting and glassing up north around the Kingston's, we weren't real serious but figured we would get out any ways.

Zero deer sign or activity, but we did get stopped on Excelsior Mine Road by a BLM Ranger and a Fish and Wildlife guy. We were not in the Preserve and they didn't even bother checking tags and license.

They did confirm that Park guys were heavily patrolling the Preserve. We will give it a try again.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom