CWMU MOOSE HUNTS

W

WORKNMAN

Are there any CWMU's out there right now, that can/or do produce 45inch and up moose. I have hunted the Ogden Valley and North Slope area since 1987. I have seen many great Bulls that would go 45-50 inches over the years. But I havent seen jackshit over the last 4 years. I am afraid to apply anywhere right now because of the lack of "quaility" I have not seen as in years past, and I have 12 pts going into the 2010 draw. I called 5 different CWMU operators last year and they all said they wouldnt hunt there own unit. That the DWR had over issued tags for Moose for to long and quality was low right now in their areas. Help please, fellow hunters.

Deseret always produces nice bulls but I think quality is down all across the state and in some surrounding states.

Utah's moose quality is in the tank. Especially on the Cache and Wasatch.

I'm in the same boat point wise and would give anything to exchange them for Mt Goat points.

I fully understand Prism, I called the DWR and tried to exchange my Moose 12 points for 12 Bighorn Sheep points. They said no. Then I tried to trade 12 Moose points for 9 Bighorn Sheep points. They said no. Then I tried to trade 12 Moose points for 6 Bighorn Sheep points. The DWR said no. I said kiss my ass then.

Wasatch is in the tank? Wow, it sure must have slid since I hunted it. hahaha- I doubt it. As for the CWMU comments, well the operator has the power to set his moose permits. The UDWR approves it. An operator can tell the UDWR that his moose herd is down so they need to cut permits for a year or two. If the moose on their CWMU are few and far between or the bulls are young then the CWMU should ask for less permits. It is that easy. Best of luck on the draw.

Just my opinion.

For the last 10 years or so I've personally been involved with one or two moose hunts each year on the Wasatch. There are still a few good bulls (especially along the front), but I believe overall moose numbers and quality has slipped.

>Wasatch is in the tank?
>Wow, it sure must have
>slid since I hunted it.
>hahaha- I doubt it.
> As for the CWMU
>comments, well the operator has
>the power to set his
>moose permits. The UDWR
>approves it. An operator
>can tell the UDWR that
>his moose herd is down
>so they need to cut
>permits for a year or
>two. If the moose
>on their CWMU are few
>and far between or the
>bulls are young then the
>CWMU should ask for less
>permits. It is that
>easy. Best
>of luck on the draw.
>
Packout, I'm sure all CWMU's put the quality of the game ahead of the money they get selling tags.YA RIGHT!!! If what you say is true, the CWMU can control the number of Moose being taken on their lease, than its their fault as much as the DWR.

I couldn't agree more for trading my moose points for Mt Goats I'd be hunting this year for sure. Why I thought going for a tag with 40,000 plus applicants for 180 tags versus 3,700 ish and 90 tags was a good idea? I've longed for a goat tag after I hunted with a friend on his goat hunt. Even with lots of points drawing a moose tag seems like the impossible. I abandoned my moose application early this decade for Desert Sheep and drew on my second year, maybe I should try my luck again. I too have wondered about the CWMU's and the quality of their moose? But I do agree that as I hunt the Wasatch unit I don't see the size of the moose I once did. In fact, just the last 2 or 3 years I've noticed weak quality in a lot of States from pictures people have posted or in Magazines etc.

Deseret this yr (09), the first state draw hunter shot a 45" 170 gross moose, shot him the second week of sept., the paying hunter shot a 43.5" bull that grossed 159, he was killed the third week of oct. and I don't know what the other state hunter shot, I do know he harvested. Deseret can be very good, I've seen and helped with bulls over 50" but it is still hunting, just like everywhere else it tends to go up and down with quality. Its a guided hunt and they have been very flexible with the hunt dates. Call and talk to Todd, there's no guarentees but I would recommend it to anybody!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom