CWD--- Is there still concern?

338magblaster

I was looking at some old posts and came across one discussing chronic-wasting-disease (CWD). A couple of years ago this was a big issue for many western states. I haven't heard anything on CWD in a while, is there still concern for the deer/elk herds?

With hunting seasons upon us, it would be helpful to know what we should be on the lookout for.

Any thoughts?

All who wander are not lost.

Absolutely. It is a disease that we still don't know much about. We do know that it can stay in the environment for years and still be transmitted. We still don't know if it can be transmitted to humans under any circumstances. If I were to kill an animal in an endemic area, I would probably have the head tested.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I've harvested a couple of deer in the last couple of years in a "CWD area", and have had the DOW test both. The $15 charge is cheap insurance policy to know that my family is eating good meat.

nrueh

Its very scary. I try to schedule hunts in areas typically free of CWD, because we just don't know enough about it; except that it is one tough SOB.

Grizzly

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom