CVA Optima Magnum .45 cal load help!

WannaXbe

Picked this up a couple of months ago to try my hand at muzzle loading. So far I have only shot 8 rounds through it. 3 powerbelt 295 ELRs with 110 grain by weight of 777. I have also shot 5 Hornady 200s with the same 110 grain by weight 777. Shot OK, like 2” at 50 yards with both loads but 100 yards was all over. This rifle is set up with open sights for a New Mexico Mule Deer hunt so I have that to contend with as well. Any load data with 777 only would be appreciated. .45 projectiles are not very available either. The ELRs are at my local academy but had to get the hornadys at scheels 2&1/2 hours away. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You might be loading a little too heavy..I'm shooting the 295 gr power belts out of my accura with a 100 grains of bh by volume and it groups well at a hundred yards.. I'm by no means an expert but that's my 2¢ worth..

Yeah that’s a pretty big powder charge. Get yourself a volume measure, pick a volume and then weigh loads if you really feel like you need to. IMO, there isn’t any need to do that (weigh charges) with 777, though.

For reference, when I measure/weigh 777, I get:

100 grV 2F 777 is 82.3 grW ave
100 grV 3F 777 is 85.7 grW ave

So with 2F, 123 grW is prob about max charge (150 grV). I’d suggest staying in the 100-120 grV range for best accuracy.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom