Custom Rifles

joesikora

Long Time Member
I have a HS Percision in 30/06, now I know they make and sell those heavy a$$ stocks. I read on here guys saying that the gun they have has a Remington 700 action or something to that affect. So do rifle makers like HS just make the barrels then attach their barrels to Remington bolt action with the trigger assemblies? It just shows you how much I don’t know about rifles etc I sent my rifle to a gunsmith out west to have it sighted in properly. It wasn’t very expensive and I shot great with it. 2 elk seen 2 elk taken home last was around 300 yds hit him the first shot he hunch up without taking a step and the second dropped him in his tracks. The other elk I missed completely on the first round I put through it and it was the first round I shot out of it and the second round double lung him close to 300 yds. I just love this rifle

I have a HS Percision in 30/06, now I know they make and sell those heavy a$$ stocks. I read on here guys saying that the gun they have has a Remington 700 action or something to that affect. So do rifle makers like HS just make the barrels then attach their barrels to Remington bolt action with the trigger assemblies?
Exactly. The .300 WM rifle in the photo below was built for me by Robar Inc. on a M700 action. They began in the aircraft industry but have been building custom rifles for years, including many as sniper rifles for law enforcement agencies.

I14051.jpg

Remington actions can be blue-printed to be as accurate as most anything out there IF DONE CORRECTLY but like the Captain said, "Lots of others out there".

So to answer your question: Yes and No. Some might use Rem actions (semi-custom) but right now most customs that come to mind have proprietary actions.

If you're spending in the $3000-$8000+ range, more than likely the action will be their own concoction.

Zeke

"Custom" is a relative term for rifles.
I have three that Zeke assisted me with. Two have "donor" Remington actions and one started life as a Ruger M77. All have new stocks, barrels, bedding, and triggers...coating...paint, etc. All shoot tiny little groups after playing with the right components.
It's an expensive but fun game to get into!

Sometimes they call 700 actions something else. I have a 40x from Remington and it’s no different than a 700. I call it a 700 when talking about it to others.

BB8F62D9-0C5F-41FF-BC9E-7FEBA29343B6.jpeg

I have a HS Percision in 30/06, now I know they make and sell those heavy a$$ stocks. I read on here guys saying that the gun they have has a Remington 700 action or something to that affect. So do rifle makers like HS just make the barrels then attach their barrels to Remington bolt action with the trigger assemblies? It just shows you how much I don’t know about rifles etc I sent my rifle to a gunsmith out west to have it sighted in properly. It wasn’t very expensive and I shot great with it. 2 elk seen 2 elk taken home last was around 300 yds hit him the first shot he hunch up without taking a step and the second dropped him in his tracks. The other elk I missed completely on the first round I put through it and it was the first round I shot out of it and the second round double lung him close to 300 yds. I just love this rifle
HS precision makes their own action for their rifles nowadays. Many companies are making their own actions or having another company make their action according to their specs. They then chamber barrels and build the rest of the rifle.
I’m curious as to why you sent a rifle to be sighted in by someone else and what does “sighted in properly” mean?

Last edited:
Quite a few custom gun builders aren't even messing with trueing/blue printing a Rem 700 action. After the cost of the action and the work to true/blue print the donor action it's simpler to buy a 700 clone and be done with it. That's what I did for a recent gun build and went with a Lone Peak Ti action.

I'm building rifles and have used Remington, Remington Custom Shop, Stiller and Lone Peak in the last year. There are many great actions out there. But if you use a Remington, be sure that the builder/gunsmith blueprints the action and ensures that every aspect is perfectly aligned.

Same for barrels. There are many quality barrels made and you just need to ensure you get a good one that's aligned with the action.

If you are wondering about blueprinting an action, just go to YouTube and ask about "blueprinting an action" and several good videos will pop up.

As has been said, if all that is done, the rifle should shoot well (after load development). Best of luck and happy new year.

HS precision makes their own action for their rifles nowadays. Many companies are making their own actions or having another company make their action according to their specs. They then chamber barrels and build the rest of the rifle.
I’m curious as to why you sent a rifle to be sighted in by someone else and what does “sighted in properly” mean?
Good questions! I read on hear about a gunsmith out in OR, or Nebraska wherever it was I sent it to them
1) I don’t now how to sight one in
2) I didn’t know anything about anything that has to do with rifles and bullets I know just a little more but nowhere near some of you guys
3) I hate just shooting and shooting for nothing
4) I live in IL no rifle hunting not a lot of places to shoot rifles
5) didnt know shells had Lot #’s
6) the properly sighted in part! He asked what I would be hunting WT and Elk
He sighted gun in at 300yds at zero? So if I want to shoot out to 500yds put horizontal line top of back of elk dead! on a WT 100yds just aim a little low! So awesome!
So great fit for me!
Now if you need a home built you call me.
I often say how much I love the site because of the MM members I have learned all I know from you all and I can’t say it enough Thanks!
Shooting is like playing golf if you have a set of clubs you don’t like then you don’t feel good about them and you’ll play like hell.
With me I know the person that did my rifle set up knew what he was going so when I raise my rifle like I said earlier it dies. I never worry “oh should I do this or do that“ no I do what the guy told me to do Winner Winner Elk Dinner. Oh you the few guys that golf if you slice all the time take a small rock or penny whatever as long as it don’t affect your swing put it about 8“ in front of your ball aligned with where you want your ball to go then swing through the object before you raise up on your swing Winner Winner Scrambles Winner

I’m curious as to why you sent a rifle to be sighted in by someone else and what does “sighted in properly” meaning what?

Last edited:
Good questions! I read on hear about a gunsmith out in OR, or Nebraska wherever it was I sent it to them
1) I don’t now how to sight one in
2) I didn’t know anything about anything that has to do with rifles and bullets I know just a little more but nowhere near some of you guys
3) I hate just shooting and shooting for nothing
4) I live in IL no rifle hunting not a lot of places to shoot rifles
5) didnt know shells had Lot #’s
6) the properly sighted in part! He asked what I would be hunting WT and Elk
He sighted gun in at 300yds at zero? So if I want to shoot out to 500yds put horizontal line top of back of elk dead! on a WT 100yds just aim a little low! So awesome!
So great fit for me!
Now if you need a home built you call me. Shooting is like playing golf if you have a set of clubs you don’t like then you don’t feel good about them and you’ll play like hell.
With me I know the person that did my rifle set up knew what he was going so when I raise my rifle like I said earlier it dies. I never worry “oh should I do this or do that“ no I do what the guy told me to do Winner Winner Elk Dinner. Oh you the few guys that golf if you slice all the time take a small rock or penny whatever as long as it don’t affect your about 8“ in front of your ball aligned with where you want your ball to go then swing through the object before you raise up on your swing Winner Winner Scrambles Winner
Joe
Those are honest answers and I respect that. The problems I see are as follows.
You need to shoot your gun to practice and sight in yourself as you most likely hold the rifle and cheek position/ looking through the scope differently than him. The more practice the better even if it’s only at 100 yards.
Shells have lot numbers but if using factory ammo it’s not a huge deal especially at 300 yards.
A 300 yard zero isn’t a bad idea depending on the cartridge/bullet but be aware at 200 yards it’s going to be even higher than 100 yards.
Glad it worked out on the 2 elk also.

When blue printing rifle actions, Rem. 700's are a hit and miss. Before I started making knives, I had my FFL and built rifles and guaranteed accuracy under one inch. This was 30 years ago.
I have had customers bring in their model 700 for a rebuild due to accuracy problems. I found many of the actions off center by as much as 15 to 40 thousands and the firing pin hitting the primer far off center. I quit working on Rem. 700 and used the Howa 1500 action for my custom builds.
Unlike the Rem. action, the Howa has a Sako style extractor and the recoil lug was part of the receiver, Win. model 70 style, and not that flimsy shim Rem. used to cut costs. Howa also sold barrel-action receivers that were very accurate from the factory and Weatherby used them for their Vanguard series of rifles.
The Remington 700 action is a round cylinder action allowing for it to be very easy to true up in the lathe when cutting the action-barrel threads. For it to be off center by 15-40 thousands is indication of piss poor sloppy set up by a employee that did not care about the finished product.
RELH

Joe
You need to shoot your gun to practice and sight in yourself as you most likely hold the rifle and cheek position/ looking through the scope differently than him. The more practice the better even if it’s only at 100 yards.
Shells have lot numbers but if using factory ammo it’s not a huge deal especially at 300 yards.
A 300 yard zero isn’t a bad idea depending on the cartridge/bullet but be aware at 200 yards it’s going to be even higher than 100 yards.
The gun was sighted in I’m sure being held in a vise or something not shot by a person holding the gun, either that he and I hold the gun the exact same way. Now as far as my shooting abilities when I checked my sight in with the 2 guys that I was hunting with on my 2019 AZ elk hunt I shot better then the hot shot kid with the three rounds sent now the kid shot 6 more times to hit the bulls eye about the size of a quarter or half dollar. We were shooting at a target 300yds away. As we were waiting for the kid to out shot me for whatever reason his buddy said I thought you can’t shoot a rifle where you live I agreed then I explain that the last time I shot this gun was in 2008 when I shot a 5x5 in NM at The Sargents where I missed first shot and double lunged him with the second round. The second guy told me he thought I was full of it but when the hot shot kid had to show me how to set up in the prone position using his small pack to use to lay my right elbow on he believed me. I’m not bragging as I said many a time on here I good just doing things right away the problem is I never ever get really good but I dont care as long as I harvest want I’m hunting and don’t take a bad shot and lose the animal that ends up dying for no reason I’m fine with my skills

When blue printing rifle actions, Rem. 700's are a hit and miss. Before I started making knives, I had my FFL and built rifles and guaranteed accuracy under one inch. This was 30 years ago.
I have had customers bring in their model 700 for a rebuild due to accuracy problems. I found many of the actions off center by as much as 15 to 40 thousands and the firing pin hitting the primer far off center. I quit working on Rem. 700 and used the Howa 1500 action for my custom builds.
Unlike the Rem. action, the Howa has a Sako style extractor and the recoil lug was part of the receiver, Win. model 70 style, and not that flimsy shim Rem. used to cut costs. Howa also sold barrel-action receivers that were very accurate from the factory and Weatherby used them for their Vanguard series of rifles.
The Remington 700 action is a round cylinder action allowing for it to be very easy to true up in the lathe when cutting the action-barrel threads. For it to be off center by 15-40 thousands is indication of piss poor sloppy set up by a employee that did not care about the finished product.
RELH
So you make those knives if so nice!

I would love to have a Howa. I can see that they’re good. My problem is I’m a lefty. I’m not against getting one in a right hand configuration, but it will have to be a used one kind of inexpensive since it won’t be a real practical rifle for me and one I just have to play with. I keep an eye on them hoping they will make a left handed barreled action and with Remington down, and C ZED discontinuing all of theirs, maybe they will consider it. When they do, I’ll jump on it.

Last edited:
I would love to have a Howa. I can see that they’re good. My problem is I’m a lefty. I’m not against getting one in a right hand configuration, but it will have to be a used one kind of inexpensive since it won’t be a real practical rifle for me and one I just have to play with. I keep an eye on them hoping they will make a left handed barreled action and with Remington down, and C ZED discontinuing all of theirs, maybe they will consider it. When they do, I’ll jump on it
I would love to have a Howa. I can see that they’re good. My problem is I’m a lefty. I’m not against getting one in a right hand configuration, but it will have to be a used one kind of inexpensive since it won’t be a real practical rifle for me and one I just have to play with. I keep an eye on them hoping they will make a left handed barreled action and with Remington down, and C ZED discontinuing all of theirs, maybe they will consider it. When they do, I’ll jump on it.

Joe
Fransico, sent me a link to find the best bullet for my gun
and it was the Nosler 180 grain Partition. Now I seen that other bullet makers have best that but I’m at the thought of if it ain’t broke leave it along. Now what would I do if I drew a tag where I would need to shoot farther then 400yds?

what say you

now the Federal big game Nosler 180 grain partition is the best I’ve found for elk What would be the best bullet for the longest range to kill say a goat or sheep and the same for an elk but being able to make a clean kill

what say you all

and it was the Nosler 180 grain Partition. Now I seen that other bullet makers have best that but I’m at the thought of if it ain’t broke leave it along. Now what would I do if I drew a tag where I would need to shoot farther then 400yds?

what say you
I would say with the amount of shooting you do not do you shouldn’t be shooting at anything over 250-300. If your not going to practice that skill you need to impose a limit on yourself. Wind comes into play more, flinching, jerking the trigger, not following through. Lots of stuff that a decent shooting rifle can compensate for under 300. Want to hunt long range? Better start shooting long range

what say you
I would say if you drew a tag that required longer distance shots that you should buy a case of your chosen ammo and find some place to practice shooting longer shots. My general advice for someone asking about learning to shoot longer shots is practice a minimum of 200 yards further than your limit. In your case practice out to 600 for a limit of 400.

Joe the reason the guys in Utah shoot so well is they use the Claw, then they use tie downs to hold there 60 pound long range beast down.

now the Federal big game Nosler 180 grain partition is the best I’ve found for elk What would be the best bullet for the longest range to kill say a goat or sheep and the same for an elk but being able to make a clean kill

what say you all
I’d say, I wouldn’t worry about the bullet because you’re ready and able to shoot out both lungs.

I would say with the amount of shooting you do not do you shouldn’t be shooting at anything over 250-300. If your not going to practice that skill you need to impose a limit on yourself. Wind comes into play more, flinching, jerking the trigger, not following through. Lots of stuff that a decent shooting rifle can compensate for under 300. Want to hunt long range? Better start shooting long range
no no JP I’m talking about the 30/06 and the different rounds! There’s no way I would ever shoot long
Fixed it for you -- 'paid' sighter
lol my IPad has hit the ground to many times does Work as well as before

JP no no! I’m not talking about me personally shooting that long! I am talking about the limits of the 30/06 and what ammo would it take if any to shoot LR at a sheep or goat and yet be able to kill an elk. I know what I’m saying in my head it just doesn’t always come out the same way as I’m thinking it! My bad! Most of you that know me should know this by now! Shooting 300yds is everyday hunting for you guys. In IL you can’t see a deer 300yds away to many trees and if you seen one in a field 300yds you still can’t shoot it, slugs don’t travel that far except in your truck and the danger of what’s on the other side.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom