Curtis' NM Public Land Barbary

Cookie2

Very Active Member
Here is a picture of my 2006 barbary sheep. A 165gr. ballistic tip from my 300 ultra mag at 450 yards did the trick!

26ram2-14-06.jpg

Congratulations!! Beautiful animals. I've always wanted to hunt these animals. This is the 6th year that I have applied in Texas, and am hoping that I'm getting close to drawing. I knew that you could buy an over-the-counter tag in NM, but was under the impression that they are not very plentiful on public ground. Can you provide any insight in that regard?
Are you going to get your sheep mounted, and if so what kind of mount? I know that if I ever shoot one, I'm going to get it mounted from about halfway between the shoulders and hips forward, standing on a rock, so that you can see the chaps and neck mane. Thanks for the pics and post. Scott/couesbitten

Scott,
I shot one last year on the Texas draw hunt.
Fun hunt, but can be tough. The folks are great
and very helpfull. They have as much fun as the
hunters.

Larry

yeah Coues , i agree there is a little dub dub resemblance there. nice animal Cookie.

A lot like beef in the flavor but it has this "crunchy" consistency to it like it is full of cartilage or something. I wouldn't call it tough, kinda hard to describe. Excellent taste though.

Thats a great ram! I looked over some when we were in TX but it wasn't a free ranging herd and the rancher was pretty proud of his rams($$$$). I looked into hunting them over near Grants, theres a few left but they stay very close to the reservation boundary and after I contacted the local game warden for help I was told not to waste my time that he didn't even seethem on state land anymore. I know a couple guys that have hunted them with success there , but they also live near ..Some day I'll get over near Alpine to hunt them....Again great ram , congrats and thanks for sharing....NM

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom