Curious ?

backpacker

I was recently surfing the web the other night and happened to remember a hunting show in which Bass Pro Shops hunting host Bob Foulkrod had hunted for ID shiras moose. Remembering that he had harvested a nice animal I decided to look up his website (bobfoulkrod.com) to see with whom he had taken it. I clicked on the Obsession Quest link on the left side, then clicked on the link "check out the latest hunts" on top. Then arrowed down to the dates 10/23-10/27/2004 titled Obsession Quest Shiras Moose and clicked on it.
My question is this: He says "We didn't have to apply for a non-resident permit for this area it was so remote and rugged! The state of Idaho decided to sell this permit over the counter."
Has Idaho ever issued moose permits over the counter or is this BS? I was under the impression they've always been draw permits.

gotta just be trying to be funny or something....it just doesn't work like that.

JB

In ID they have some very remote units (up north)that are under subscibed annually. They then hav a second draw for these tags some bull mostly cow. Those not drawn or even applied for in the second draw are sold OTC. They are tough units to hunt. You will need horse/mules, a guide would be good. Most but not all the tags sold OTC are cow tags. People just don't put in for the units because they are wilderness. no roads and few if any trails and tough hunts to get to the moose and nearly impossible to get them out.

I could be wrong about this, but I don't think they had the second draw when he bought his. I think that's a new development from what I remember. I believe he bought the tag for unit 17. It's a remote area that I have drawn a moose tag in, but was unable to hunt because there always seems to be a lot of fire danger in that area. There are a few guides in the area that do drop camps. The problem is that each guide has their own area. If you apply for an area blindly and draw, you are usually stuck with only one guide for your area. If they are high priced or they don't offer drop camps, you are out of luck. So pick a guide, then an area. (unless you have horses)

Shawn

Actually I got a reply from his website (verbatim):

Dear Brian,
This must have been a misprint due to my wife putting in for my draw.
I am sorry for the confusion.
Good luck hunting.
Bob

When you guys say northern units are you talking panhandle or north-central like the Frank-Church? I'll have to look to see where 17 is. Also how does it work, does the F&G come up with a list of units with leftover tags after the 1st draw and does it apply to the once in a lifetime quota? I harvested a bull in unit 1 last year and would like to know if I could appply for another bull tag. I know you can take 1 cow and 1 bull normally in your lifetime. Thanks.

The combined information in previous posts gets at the correct answer. Prior to 2004, tags for undersubscribed hunts were available OTC. They were, as noted, primarily cow tags and bull tags in some difficult-to-hunt areas, mostly in the Selway (GMU 17) with a scattering in Frank Church units (20A, 26) and the Lochsa (GMUs 10 and 12). Beginning in 2004, undersubscribed moose hunts were included in a 2nd chance draw. Over the last few years, the number of undersubscribed hunts has declined considerably. In 2007, there were 6 permits in 3 hunts avaialble in the 2nd draw (compared to about 65 tags in 2004). If there are still tags left after the 2nd draw, they are sold OTC (but this has not occurred since 2nd draw was implemented).
You can look up past draw stats at http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/apps/ch/odds.cfm

Rules were also changed in 2004 to allow 1 bull AND 1 cow per lifetime, but the limitation basically only applies during the first drawing. From page 8 of the current M,S,G regs:

"Any permits leftover after the first drawing will be offered in a second drawing. Nonresident quotas and waiting period restrictions do not apply in the second drawing or leftover sales.
The application period for the second trophy species drawing
will be June 15-25, with the drawing June 30. Any leftovers
from the second drawing will go on sale July 10. Remember,
application, permit and tag fees must be included for trophy
species. You may apply in the second trophy drawing, or
purchase a leftover moose tag, even if you have previously
harvested a moose in Idaho." So yes, you can apply for another bull tag in the second draws, but as others noted, these are usually quite difficult hunts in rugged, remote areas and meat care is an important consideration.

Tom Keegan
IDFG Salmon Region Wildlife Manager

A list of permits for the second draw is available shortly before the second draw (usually posted on the IDFG website).

I thought you needed a permit for Idaho shiras moose. I believe it is that way in all state for shiras moose.

hey salmonfg i just wondered i havnt been around too much since the change but i was under the impression that if a hunter harvested a cow first it counted for the once a lifetime, did they change that or was it a rumor?

i see that now i actually read the regulations, have to look into shooting a cow leftover this year maybe if there is any

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom