Crazy's 580/315 Forest Lake

E

Edpre

Looking to give this area a try. Any info might help. Not looking for honey holes, just "ya, decent", "Just OK", "Stay low, near the ranches", "Lotsa elk, no bombers", -- that sorta stuff. Looking at Sept. 8th - 18th. Probably going to camp right at the lake campground.
Any decent numbers of decent muleys up that way?

PM's welcome!

Thanks,

edpre

I was also looking into the crazies for archery. ive ridden sleds up the cottonwood creek to crasshopper lake and glacier and it looks like it could hold some. I also heard to head around rock lake and campfire lake. hope this helps, im gonna try to make a scouting trip up there later this month. i will let you know if i go.

I think that's the southern end, correct? I'll be nearer to the northern end, just north of Shields River. If you have extra time on the scouting run, take a ride up north!
I'll be looking forward to hearing how things look, either way.

Where you from?

Thanks,
edpre

yeah cottonwood creek comes out just south of clyde park. A Guy that i work with goes camping up Bennet creek which is on the northwest side of them, he said there could be some up high there. im from helena and i just like the crazies so i wanna explore them a little more, and maybe get rewarded with a nice buck.

I hunted the Bennet Creek area very late rifle season a few years ago. It was pretty country, but DEEP snow and bitter cold pushed me out and ended up hunting some block lands near there. It was a thumbs down trip all around, but I liked that high country. That's the main reason I'm heading there. A few guys I've talked to said I should run into some pretty decent elk numbers and should be able to glass up some nice bucks there - northwest end. I haven't been to MT for 3 years, so any elk and any decent buck on a DIY would make for a great trip. I'll probably grab an OTC cow tag, just so I don't pass up that cow at 20 on the first day sceneraio. Good luck on the scouting trip - interested in the results.

Thanks,
edpre

Carlc - Three weeks to go (for me). Getting pumped up. Did you make it up the Crazies on your scouting run yet?

edpre

I havent made it up there, and im not sure if im gonna be able too now. getting busy at work and we are climbing granite peak next weekend, then its the elk rut after that, I talked to a guy from livingston that also said bennett creek is decent, and good elk too, but its open to four wheelers in parts, so you may have some visitors. As for processors around the area in your other thread, i personally dont know of any, but white sulphur is a good hunting town, and they should have a couple, and Townsend has Full belli deli, which makes amazing sausuge, jerky, etc, but it has to be boned out and i dont know if they do other cuts. I will still let you know if i find some time to make it over there. by the way, where are you from?

Pennsylvania. Got about a 35 hour drive ahrad of us and really starting to count the minutes till we're on the road.

Thanks for the info.

Last year I hunted the upper shields valley, They were doing some extensive logging in the NF and it probably interrupted Elk patterns for years to come. Try the NF entrance on the North side. 294 to Cottonwood creek, Make right on forest lake Rd. take the right fork to the end and then strap on your hiking boots because its about 1000 feet up a switch back to get to the top.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom