Crappie fishing

Idahoron

Very Active Member
Strike was good to us on Saturday 5-9-09. We got there early so we could find some trout in the cool of the morning. My son Jacob got a new fish finder for his birthday. He got a humminbird 110 Buddy and he also got a two pole permit. Both of those gifts were my idea and he LOVED them.

5-9-09TTT.jpg

We hit the water at 8:00 and the water was 57 degrees. I got the first fish and it was a keeper crappie. After about another 20 minutes I was thinking that the trout were not going to come out to play. Soon Jacob had a 15? trout on and it put up a good fight.

5-9-09LLL.jpg

As the water temp came up so did the Crappie numbers. Soon we could not keep the crappie off the line, water temp we found was 60 degrees. We both put away the trout rigs and only fished one pole. About noon we had about as many crappie as I wanted to clean, but I was still looking for trout.

5-9-09CCC.jpg

We headed out to deeper water and Jacob got his second 15" trout. I was getting bummed. As we kicked along Jacob found a under water point 15 feet down and all around it was 30 to 38 foot deep, and loaded with fish. I marked that on my GPS, and we hit crappie. We didn't keep anything under 11? and we got a bunch. We even started to cull fish in the baskets.
About 3:00 we were tired and I thought as many fish as we had, we better start to head back. Jacob was seeing a ton of fish on the finder and he was nailing them. Then he got a fish that fought a little different. He said he had some kind of squaw fish. It was a 12? perch. When I saw it I said KEEP IT! He was going to throw it back. I was dragging a worm on the bottom and throwing jigs. The worm pole had a hit, and soon I found out it was also a perch. We were almost to the truck when found my only trout , and it was with the worm rod. As I got it to the tube I saw it had a jaw band. I got it netted, and saw my hook was right on the tip of the lower jaw. Well the hook tore loose and the band flipped out of his mouth and landed on my "TubeDude styled" apron. I grabbed it quick and put it in my pocket. This makes the second trout I have caught this spring with a band. Jacob asked with 37 crappie, 3 trout, and 2 perch, how do you top a day like today? I said with some trout BLING!
Ron

5-9-09III.jpg

5-9-09GGG.jpg

Looks like you've got a lot of crappie fillets. Catching crappie is a lot of fun when you can find 'em and they're hungry. Congrats on a good day.

Steve

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom