Coyote hunting prohibited?

ELKOHOLIC

Very Active Member
I was told it may be against the law to hunt coyotes in utah during a limited entry hunt or a once in a lifetime hunt. Has anyone heard of anyone being told they can't do this? This sounds like it might be a localized thing that certain individuals are doing, but I don't want to get into the location. I'm not interested on the ethics part in this, but has anyone ever seen anything on the books about this? I can't imagine that there is.

I've read in the past that a LE type unit is considered a "hunting preserve" for that permitted animal only.
The whole concept seems silly to me!
It's been a while since I've read or heard that though.
We'll have to research and touch base on the topic again.

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Nov-14-13 AT 02:32PM (MST)[p]>>I've read in the past that
>>a LE type unit is
>>considered a "hunting preserve" for
>>that permitted animal only.
>>The whole concept seems silly to
>>me!
>>It's been a while since I've
>>read or heard that though.
>>
>>We'll have to research and touch
>>base on the topic again.
>>
>>
>>Zeke
>
You're right. That WAS a rule at one time, but on
March 14, 2011, R657-5-7 was amended and the term "temporary
game preserve" was discontinued and most of it was redlined.
It didn't prohibit hunting coyotes per se, but it restricted
the posession of firearms on "temporary game preserves". Now it
is a Prohibited Weapons section and prohibits automatic weapons and light enhancement devices for any big game hunt.

So, Elkoholic, as one elk hunter to another, go shoot coyotes if you choose to, but remember there are big game hunters who've waited a long time for their hunts. Don't mess them up, please!

That's great (and current) info elkfromabove!
I was just drawing on my old memory.
Zeke

So?

And I'm not trying to STIRR IT Zeke!:D

Can a Guy Hunt Coyotes 365 in Utah on BLM/Forrest no matter what Hunt is going on where?

Just looking for the Answer?

I used to know of places worth Hiking in to for Elk & Deer!
Thanks to Illegal Bastards & the USFS not enforcing Rules you can Zing in to them Places on Wheelers now & not see a Damn thing!
But by GAWD it don't take long for them U-Tards to get there with all the Unethical BS and the New Technology!

>What about guys hunting grouse during
>the LE elk shoots?

Well!

I don't really agree with it!

But I do know that it's legal!

Ya gotta let the TWEETY Bird Hunters have their time too!

Thanks to Illegal Bastards & the USFS not enforcing Rules you can Zing in to them Places on Wheelers now & not see a Damn thing!
But by GAWD it don't take long for them U-Tards to get there with all the Unethical BS and the New Technology!

I didn't want to stir the pot to much, but it sounds like there is not a law against it??? I know it's a touchy situation. I personally would keep on moving down the road if I thought there were people hunting nearby, but I think there is room for everyone.

That Ain't STIRRIN the Pot!

It's something I/We need to know rather it's Legal or not?

With the UDWR running Continuous & Overlapped Big Game Hunts I just can't see why the Yote Hunters can't Hunt when they want to?

Anybody know the Laws/Rules for sure?

>
>That Ain't STIRRIN the Pot!
>
>It's something I/We need to know
>rather it's Legal or not?
>
>
>With the UDWR running Continuous &
>Overlapped Big Game Hunts I
>just can't see why the
>Yote Hunters can't Hunt when
>they want to?
>
>Anybody know the Laws/Rules for sure?
>

It sounds perfectly legal and it makes sense if we really want coyotes shot. Otherwise half the state is closed for 3 months to coyote shooting if we can't hunt during a LE hunt.
I knew I'd not seen it in the regs for a couple years.
Zeke

What about LE Muzzy elk with general Muzzy deer hunters in the same mix, What about over lappin LE DEER/ELk archery hunts, especially with all the Fall Bear hunts Then with the Spike/Hunters choice Hunt over lappin General Archery Deer, Not to mention the OIL Hunts moose,goats, etc with all the small game hunts, That's besides all the other recreating that goes on hiking, camping, firewood gathering, Ranchers pushing and gathering cattle on forest/BLM lands. Joy riders the list goes on and on and on. At Least the Coyote hunters are trying to do something productive. I see Both sides of the fence I personally know a guy who drew a Muzzy LE Elk tag and had General Muzzy deer hunters foul him up on a stud bull, they ran into each other and got to talkin and they came flat right out and said Oh yeah we mostly just hunt this area to see all the elk rutting activity.. Cant say that I blame them but would be frustrating after burning 15 Plus years of points just sayin.

Like I've said for many years!

Continuous & Overlapped Hunts for 6-7 Months out of the Year!

I've seen em extend Cow Killer Hunts in to February!

What a bunch of BS!

It's rather iffy with spotlights at night and you may have some 600 foot from houses issues where cities/counties border BLM/FS land per some city/county ordinances, (Alta and Emigration Canyon come to mind) but the code I cited allows it all year. Without more research than I care to do, I'd say you're good to go. However, I'm not offering to bail you out of jail!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom