Cow Moose Unit

wildwilderness

I was wondering which antlerless moose unit you thought would be the best hunt. I really want to shoot a moose with a bow. the units for NR look like 1, 23,24,34,38,44. I live in CO so its not too far to drive, but 44 would be the closest. I would want to go unguided.

What do you think?

I'd go in the BigHorns where there are no bear or wolf problems. We always see them in 34 going over the highway from Buffalo to TenSleep and there are also a bunch up toward Burgess Juction near the highway in unit 1.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-21-12 AT 12:06PM (MST)[p]I hunted unit 26 last year for a bull and getting a cow with a bow would be a slam dunk. I would be able to help you a lot. However, to my knowledge, they don't sell a "reduced price" cow tag for moose... so, $1400 is a pretty steep price for a cow. You could easily get a cow tag in CO for a fraction of that unless you are saving your points for a bull and don't want to burn them on a cow. Let me know if you draw a tag for 26 and need some help.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud"

Good ideas, didn't think about bears/wolfs. I don't hunt WY much, just for antelope a couple times. I wouldn't want to run into a grizz with just a bow if I don't have to.

yeah, 1400 is steep but I figure its the best way to get a shiras moose with a bow. I am putting in CO since thats my best bet to get a bull tag, and take the time to scout/hunt. I know I could just build points (I have 8) in WY until I draw a bull tag, but I don't know how hard a bowhunt would be and what will happen to the moose population long term with the wolves, and increased hunter demand.

"I don't know... what will happen to the moose population long term with the wolves, and increased hunter demand."

Key factors for the long term investors...

If you have 8 points put in for a lesser quality bull tag...I wouldn't waste 8 points on a cow. Any area in Wyoming would be a quality bowhunt for moose.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom