Couple Questions

Stubaby

Very Active Member
I am ready to put my piece of crap "Leupold" Sequoia 60mm spotting scope on ebay and get a real scope. My brother is trying to get me to buy his Brunton Eterna 80mm scope. I have used it and like it, but I have my heart set on the Nikon ED Fieldscope 82mm. I can't afford the big boys(swaro and Lieca), but I always hear good things about Vortex in this site. What scope from Vortex would compare to the Nikon performance-wise and what does it cost? Also, what tripod is best for holding a 80mm scope for day trip hikes and scouting away from the truck?

I can't answer your questions directly. But I can second those that really like Vortex for the money.

I had the 82 mm Nikon. It is agreat scope, I only sold it to pay for a surgery for my dog. Wish I could have it back.

However, it is a beast to lug into the field. I would not recommend such unless you have a young sturdy set of legs and a willing back!

You will need a 4-5lb tripod to keep a scope that large steady and this will also add a fair amount of weight to your back. If you buy one, good luck to you. I saw them on sale at optics planet for $1099 about two weeks ago. That is s great deal!

If you are heading to the field with a scope, i would highly suggest the Nikon ED 60 mm ed 2 lbs. plus or the Nikon 50 mm ed 19 oz.

If you are looking for a lightweight pod that will hold the weight, I would go with a Manfrotto. They are not cheap, but a great carbon fiber one is light and works well. 2 and a half pounds and then add a good head.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bogen-view-fiber-kit-700rc2-190mfv.html

I teamed my manfrotto with this head and it has been a gem. Holds up to 11 lbs. and the total weight of both together is just under 4 lbs.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bogen-manfrotto-700rc2-mini-video-head.html

The Nikon 82 and 60 MM are better than any vortex scopes except their new one. That is a fine piece of equipment and suggest you take a look at it (The Razor). Paying $200 more for that rather than the Nikon 82 mm ed may be worth it. Vortex only in an angled for now though.

Good luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom