Cougar "slaughter"

hossblur

Long Time Member
Heard all the dire warnings. Dudes in the basin crying. Houndsman in tears.

What I'm not seeing g is a ton of stories and pics of tons of cats.

I guess all of us that haven't killed a cat, still ain't?

Kinda weird Huh Hossy?

Remember!

They Are Behind Every Tree!

They Are The Only Reason There's No Deer Left!

That's According To The MM Pro's!

Maybe THE KING Can CHIME In!

Heard all the dire warnings. Dudes in the basin crying. Houndsman in tears.

What I'm not seeing g is a ton of stories and pics of tons of cats.

I guess all of us that haven't killed a cat, still ain't?

Riddle me this Batman. The state claims the cougar population is between 2,000-2,500 cougars ( I’m not talking about the type of cougars that gives Bobcat Bess nightmares?). I often hear it said that a cougar averages one mule deer kill a week. That would equate to 104,000-130,000 Muleys eaten each year by Lions. That wouldn’t be sustainable and something doesn’t add up.

I have no doubt the lion population is that big but I don’t think they eat that many deer when their diet consists of other animals as well.

If It Keeps Going They Might Have To Change Their Diet!

Riddle me this Batman. The state claims the cougar population is between 2,000-2,500 cougars ( I’m not talking about the type of cougars that gives Bobcat Bess nightmares?). I often hear it said that a cougar averages one mule deer kill a week. That would equate to 104,000-130,000 Muleys eaten each year by Lions. That wouldn’t be sustainable and something doesn’t add up.

I have no doubt the lion population is that big but I don’t think they eat that many deer when their diet consists of other animals as well.

Kinda weird Huh Hossy?

Remember!

They Are Behind Every Tree!

They Are The Only Reason There's No Deer Left!

That's According To The MM Pro's!

Maybe THE KING Can CHIME In!

I've been told it's because we **** all the 40" bucks sitting on the side of the road.

But to not sidetrack my own post......

I'm not sure (yes, I'm sure) that very many guys REALLY thought that the cats would be hammered very hard by the change. It does open up the opportunity for a guy to pop one when and IF he ever saw one.
I've spent considerable time in the field and can count every one I've ever seen, without dogs, on just over one hand.

Zeke

I know several guys that whacked a cougar this year without the use of hounds. And yet, there are still too many cats out there. How would this look for a new bumper sticker on my truck: "Whack a cat and save a bunch of deer!"

Hawkeye

I know several guys that whacked a cougar this year without the use of hounds. And yet, there are still too many cats out there. How would this look for a new bumper sticker on my truck: "Whack a cat and save a bunch of deer!"

Hawkeye
I know of some cats that have been taken out as well. I think the guys that will clean up are the good hound guides because now they aren’t limited in units and could theoretically have dogs and clients in the field year round.

Hawkeye
I bet there are a lot more guys that have been “whacked” by cougars this year than have done the “whacking”??

The Better/Future BUMPER STICKER Will Say This:

I USE TO LIKE MY BOW!!!:D
THEM PLUCKERS!!!

Hawkeye

There really hasn’t been a “hunt” since they opened season on them. I imagine you’ll start to see a few get stacked up as the hunts, particularly gun hunts, get going. Will there be piles of them killed? No. But you’ll definitely start seeing them getting smacked with more guys in the hills packing guns.

I thought I was opening this thread to watch Utah-BYU football highlights.

So disappointed…

I said it when this law passed that the only part of this law change that will create a significant opportunity for killing a vat is the trapping aspect of it. The vast majority of hunters have never even seen a cougar in the field. I have spent quite a bit of time out hunting, fishing, hiking, backpacking, etc the last 30 years, and I’m one of the people that has NEVER seen a cougar while out doing other things. I maintain that outside of trapping, the number of cougars killed on this new opportunity will be negligible.

PS- Go Utes!

Killing a vat?

Must Be An Animal I Don't Know About?

So disappointed…

I said it when this law passed that the only part of this law change that will create a significant opportunity for killing a vat is the trapping aspect of it. The vast majority of hunters have never even seen a cougar in the field. I have spent quite a bit of time out hunting, fishing, hiking, backpacking, etc the last 30 years, and I’m one of the people that has NEVER seen a cougar while out doing other things. I maintain that outside of trapping, the number of cougars killed on this new opportunity will be negligible.

PS- Go Utes!

So disappointed…

PS- Go Utes!
You may not of seen them, but I bet a whole bunch have watched you.

I've seen several cats over the years.

So disappointed…

PS- Go Utes!
I thought I was opening this thread to hear about BYU football too. The BYU cougars are going to get slaughtered in the Big-12 conference for football in their first year and that's a fact. Anyway, here is a picture of a cougar at Hidden Valley Golf Course in Sandy, Utah taken 2 years ago. There are more mountain lions around here than people think. :oops:
Attach2736_20191104_191519.jpg

Wait until the first big snow. Not saying I’m against it, but we won’t really see the effects of the new law until the hounds man can really start running them.

You may not of seen them, but I bet a whole bunch have watched you.

No doubt about that!

Fished the Green one time after a fresh 4-6 inches of snow. Two of us walked the trail up from Little Hole a couple miles. As we were walking back later in the day, still the only people to have gone up the trail that day, it was a little unnerving to see our footprints in the snow to be overlayed by cat tracks. You could even see where he broke off and went up the hill.

Cool animals. I hope more of them get shot.

Hey Niller!

If A Kitty Decided To Take You?

You Probably Wouldn't Know What Hit You!

And Even if You Did Get A Quick Glance Before He Hit You,You Wouldn't Even Have Time To Draw Your Fenwick!

No doubt about that!

Fished the Green one time after a fresh 4-6 inches of snow. Two of us walked the trail up from Little Hole a couple miles. As we were walking back later in the day, still the only people to have gone up the trail that day, it was a little unnerving to see our footprints in the snow to be overlayed by cat tracks. You could even see where he broke off and went up the hill.

Cool animals. I hope more of them get shot.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom