COUESMAGNET - TRISTATE/

2lumpy

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Nov-23-13 AT 11:08PM (MST)[p]Both of you most likely know but others may not .......

This issue of auction tags in Utah.

A perspective, regarding Utah only: I have absolutely no knowledge as to why other States operate the way they do, except to say, each State is different, very different, in it's ideology, demographics, geography, climate, social, industrial, economical, and political atmosphere. Therefore, comparing and contrasting one to another is generally a blind alley. Borrowing bits and pieces can be productive and there are examples of successes from using another State's methods of management but bits and pieces is generally all that ever fits one State and then another.

While it is always changing, this is Utah and more or less it has been for the last 30 years or so.

Utah is a relatively poor State at 41 out of 50 States in per capita income.

Utah has a Republican super-majority of 61-14 State Legislators and 24-5 Republican Senators.

Utah Republican Party believes (generally) that citizens who use State services should pay for those services and people that don't use those services should not be asked to pay for them. So.....if you want a golf course or a swimming pool or a new school, those that golf or swim or have children in school should pay for the facility, an those that don't, shouldn't have to pay for something they don't need or want. Of course, there is no way to perfectly execute the concept but basically it means, if you golf, swim or send kids to a local school, you are going to pay for it and the Legislature isn't going to raise taxes in Salt Lake City to pay for stuff the the citizens in St. George want or need. In a more simplistic statement, Utah tries to operate on a "pay to play fee" system. (I'm not saying this is the best or the worst way to run a rail road but it's generally how Utah operates government services.)

Utah's Division of Wildlife Resources, is a State agency (same as other States, of course) but does not get the major portion of it's budget from the State Legislature, it gets it from the sale of hunting and fishing license and other related fees associated with hunting and fishing, along with Federal matching funds also dependent on the number of fishing and hunting licenses sold (same as other States).

In Utah, when inflation or operation cost increase, the Legislature will, on occasion, provide one time funding and on occasion add a few million to the DWR's State funding allocation but the majority (the largest portion) of the increase is generated by increasing the price the agency charges for hunting and fishing licenses. Raising the "cost to play" so to speak.

In as much as the citizens in the State are in the bottom 20% of the country when it comes to income per person, every time there is an effort to increase license and other related prices there is public protect and complaints that the average family can't afford the increase. (there is always the argument whether the increase is justified, or if it's fair, or if it's necessary etc.)

Some years ago, (I haven't researched when it first started) someone, who knows who actually had the idea first but, I can tell you fingers will point to a dozen different people but, no single individual had the authority do decide on their own to: "offer hunting tags for sale to the highest bidder" in order to add funds to the DWR's budget. It had to be approved by the Utah Wildlife Board or the previous Board of Big Game. (It may have needed to be approved in concept by a Legislative vote. Again, I have not done the research because this started many, many years ago.) The belief was wildlife resources should pay it's own way and if additional funds were necessary and a few individuals were willing to give tens of thousands of dollars for a big game tag, and that would save the other "players" an increase in the "cost to play", everybody wins. The DWR got it needed funds, the cost of hunting/fishing licenses stayed lower than it would otherwise need to be, and the person that spent the $20,000 for the tag got what he wanted. It seemed to make sense, so they did it.

Because there were very little (there was some resistance to the concept early on, by different individuals and groups) objections at the beginning, from the public, the hunters, the non-hunters, the Legislature and the DWR (back then and still today) the concept took on a larger roll in Utah's state wildlife management because it seemed to be working so well. Most of the decision makers believed it was a small sacrifice with a lot of benefits tied to it, to the degree that it has now become a significant percentage of the funding the Utah DWR depends on each year.

Some may believe that it as gone too far and too many tags have been offered, others argue that the benefits still out way the sacrifice, others believe it's the principle and it's a flawed concept in every way, to the point of being harmful and immoral.

Presently, as far as I know, there is "no one" with enough power or desire (individually or as a group) in Utah that has any intention of moving away from the concept. Those in charge of these decisions have stated "repeatedly", "they like the way we are generating funds" to operate the DWR in Utah. It is presently, under the current ideology, demographics, geography, climate, social, industrial, economical, and political atmosphere, in Utah, not going to change significantly because those in control, from the Governor, the Legislature, the Wildlife Board (all past and present) believe it is the best way to do business. There are surely some in these bodies of governance that disagree but at present they are in minority.

Now, looking at this from outside Utah, or from a different ideology, a different political perspective, etc. you may or may not like it, or you might love it. But it's how it is here and I don't believe it going to change anytime soon, at least not in any significant way. So, we can live with it, work to change it, or be indifferent.

This might help in some way to at least understand how and why we got where we are in Utah today.

DC

Very informative there 2Lumpy, Thanks!!

It's easy for me...indifferent! I do hate how it's changed to a Rich man's game from the days us hay seeds were the only ones that went and at that, $7-800. you could make a outa state hunt, hunt good country every year, split costs up and stay in a warm no tell motel, steak n eggs for breakfast, a few beers and fun after the hunt, basically live like a King on a peon's budget!! Lol

Utah though, indifferent. Do what you guys want just don't charge us to pass thru on my way to Wyoming, Colo,.. :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

LAST EDITED ON Nov-24-13 AT 08:33AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-24-13 AT 08:22?AM (MST)

Thanks 2 lumpy and also to tristate. Nothing like a good spirited debate. Tristate believe it or not I have a lot of respect for you and your posts. All I ask though is keep the Utah stuff out of az please. When Utahans ideology was thrown our way and in a very sneaky way, we to say the least cringed. If Utah has its special set of problems then why ask Arizona to participate in the fix Utah was using for its specific set of problems which az didn't have? 2 lumpy thanks for your post as you explained that az and Utah are diff and thus can't be copied by each other with regards to fixing each states individual problems. I'm confused though why did Utahs various Utah groups try to help impose Utah's fix on az if az and Utah are individual and suffer from diff problems which need diff fixes then. It's one or the other 2 lumpy. Whether Utah is similar to az or its not and your saying their not, so why bring Utahans fix to az. I smell a smoke screen. Just please please please stay out of az with Utahans ways of fixin things. As stated 2 lumpy we are diff states and face diff problems right? Just my opinion but az doesn't need to change the slightest thing , not even the slightest and we don't have a problem here bigger than a dime size scorpions hole. Either the troubled state can copy the successful state or the troubled state can stay away and thus not infect the successful state. You pick which one I'm good with either. Someone on here from these organizations has to have a good reason or at least argument for why Utah's groups came to Arizona. Anyone there.????

Coues,
AZ currently has Governors tags for each species in the state. A tag that is good year round for one year. Auctioned off to the highest bidder. Is that correct? I believe several states already have programs like this? Now it is just a decision by legislators to decide how many if any tags get added to that. Easy money for the state is what it looks like to most legislators. If sportsman from that state disagree and push their agendas then you may not see an increase. It comes down to money. Maybe at this time your Wildlife Agency is full funded and needs no further funding? But if they decided they did they may bring in a Utah type program. Or they may increase tag prices or they may pull from another fund. So it become a political issue because it is funding a state agency. Easy to blame it on a group, however there must have been some interest or your legislators wouldn't have been interested in the program to begin with? No outside group can come in and just make changes or force it's will upon a state......without legislative backing.

Muley 73 , excellent point, and as stated earlier i'm good with the current allotment in az. Yes these tags can be used year round, but there are 3 or less per species from what i understand. Yes, the legislators perk up with the idea of easy money, as most of them aren't hunters, so how could they understand the dynamics of what goes thru a hunters mind with regards to the numbers up for sale. It's very easy to entice someone in the legislator to simply be good with selling more and more tags, we all know this. I've had a few emails telling me that it wasn't a utah group that was trying to influence az into implementing a similar tag sale structure in az. I was told differently by several, but if i'm wrong i surely stand corrected. The list of proposed tags even looked similar to utahs list. I find it hard to believe that utah and it's affiliated groups weren't involved in at least counseling the proposed az tag allotment. Utah was the only one that had a list like that and the same structured list appeared out of left field, i guess maybe??? Someone in another post about the subject said az isn't in the clear yet and maybe we will have to confront last years attempt again , well utah's the only one selling that many tags , and it will be hard to believe that when the idea from the only state that's selling that many shows up on our doorstep, it isn't coming from the only source that's doing it, or at least it's groups. Anyway i'm not a utah resident, so inherently this isn't my problem, but when something shows up here in az and it walks and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck. At minimum , i hope this debate about utah keeps the az, co, nm, and other states ready to defend ourselves next time this ideology confronts us. I do know this who ever tried to sneak this in the back door here in az last year will have to use the front door next time only after ringing the doorbell at least twice. Lol. My advice to utah, raise tag prices, minimize tag blow outs. some tags for sale, no big deal, giant list that keeps growing every year big deal.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-24-13 AT 11:19AM (MST)[p]Coues,
I agree 100% I'd much rather see the tag prices go up and less auction tags. However the same group that is screaming against the auction tags generally screams just as loud at increased tag prices. Either way they say it's become a rich mans sport. That's not the fault of any organization it's the nature of the sport currently with more demand than resource.

2LUMPY,

Thank you for a very thoughtful response, by far one of the most well thought out on this issue.

You mentioned that Utah is a "poor" state because it has one of the lowest per-capita incomes in the United States. I don't think that tells the tale very well because families in Utah tend to have more kids which drives down the per capita average. I think a more accurate indicator of a families ability to hunt is the median annual income. When you look at this Utah is ranked 14th and one of the more wealthy Western states, even ranked above states like Arizona.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_income

As for the pay-to-play model, this is more common than not across the board in most states. Few states (including Arizona) receive General Fund dollars. Arizona does have a Heritage Fund that receives lottery funds but much of that money is used for non-game research and other non-game animal specific habitat programs.

As for human population relative to game animal population, Utah has almost three times the number of elk than Arizona does. How on earth do they have three times the population and still come up short financially?

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/big-game/elk/2009/01/state-sate-elk-hunting-report

Muley 73 mentioned that Arizona does have a couple auction tags, ?Governor tags? if you will. That is true, they go for multi-six figures and help the legit Arizona conservation groups raise money for habitat. As long as they bring HUGE money and stay fairly static in number most Arizona hunters seem to be okay with them. Apparently Arizona Game and Fish understands the concepts of scarcity and realizes that increasing the supply of these tags will result in ever diminishing average returns. Arizona actually graces the WHCE with one of these tags for auction, the WHCE gets no portion of the proceeds but gets to mention it in their press materials. It is usually the first thing they lead with in their post expo press release. I have always found it peculiar that of the hundreds of tags pulled into the expo from UTAH the press release puts the one ARIZONA tag on the forefront from a marketing standpoint. If that doesn't contrast the quality between Arizona and Utah I don't know what does.

Muley73 also mentions that Utah?s legislature has to approve the expo tag allocations. That is true however that is also part of the problem. Legislators are busy and operate by their own set of rules. The commercial interests have significant lobbying power and the ability to provide paper talking point summaries that bury the TIME cost of the majority impact and pump up the financial benefits. Since most things in life are about money the legislators are inclined to look at the superficial numbers and move on. What seems to help is to educate a handful of legislators on the snow job and let them spread the message to others. Private interests profiting through tax deferred entities using public assets as inventory is a pretty powerful story when a legislator takes the time to really understand it.

Utah didn't end up where they are today based on an act of God or some unfortunate random act. Utah is where they are today because a small group of commercial interests convinced some weak minded people in charge of protecting wildlife and hunt opportunity to let down their guard. Utah hunters have been fed the junk one bite at a time over a long time and some have actually started to think that is what they deserve. In reality the guys with the neatly pressed shirts with the embroidered antler logos don't own squat, the public still owns the wildlife. The long list of expo tags defies economic sense.

The reality is that 90% of the guys in the logo shirts are followers and the remaining 10% are either so self-absorbed or blinded by greed that they are incapable of real time face to face debate. Other than Hawkeye it seems there are too few guys in Utah that have a pair big enough to face these people head on.

Ryan

Lumpys explanation is quite long and drawn out.
It could be simplified by saying that Utah's ruling elite are on a bit of a greedfest.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-24-13 AT 12:26PM (MST)[p]Piper,
Take away the auction tags and raise tag fees up to make up the difference. I have no problem with this. Ironically it's the same group that will cry over this that cry over the auction tags.

Javi,
That is point. Utahs non game and others that you listed are not supplemented. So yes AZ and CO and UT are funded the same way.........except the differences.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-24-13 AT 01:43PM (MST)[p] Muley_73 I think it goes far deeper than what you see on the surface, Utah has a powerful established Agriculture industry, they may not have numbers but they have power within the legislature,
the only way Utah politicians can support robust big game populations, (especially elk) is if they make money, if they are shown to be a lucrative business model, now that's part of it.
another part is the guiding and outfitting industry and the hunting technology and equipment industry and all the others that do better when wealthier people go hunting.

The old North American wildlife conservation model be damned, its about money and competing interests, common working class hunters don't have a big enough voting block to scare politicians much, except on some local levels, and the state runs the show.

I don't think you have seen the end of this, its about business and money, and competition.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-25-13 AT 07:12PM (MST)[p]>LAST EDITED ON Nov-24-13
>AT 08:33?AM (MST)

>
>LAST EDITED ON Nov-24-13
>AT 08:22?AM (MST)

>
>Thanks 2 lumpy and also to
>tristate. Nothing like a good
>spirited debate. Tristate believe it
>or not I have a
>lot of respect for you
>and your posts. All I
>ask though is keep the
>Utah stuff out of az
>please. When Utahans ideology was
>thrown our way and in
>a very sneaky way, we
>to say the least cringed.
> If Utah has its
>special set of problems then
>why ask Arizona to participate
>in the fix Utah was
>using for its specific set
>of problems which az didn't
>have? 2 lumpy thanks for
>your post as you explained
>that az and Utah are
>diff and thus can't be
>copied by each other with
>regards to fixing each states
>individual problems. I'm confused though
>why did Utahs various Utah
>groups try to help impose
>Utah's fix on az if
>az and Utah are individual
>and suffer from diff problems
>which need diff fixes then.
>It's one or the other
>2 lumpy. Whether Utah is
>similar to az or its
>not and your saying their
>not, so why bring Utahans
>fix to az. I smell
>a smoke screen. Just please
>please please stay out of
>az with Utahans ways of
>fixin things. As stated 2
>lumpy we are diff states
>and face diff problems right?
>Just my opinion but az
>doesn't need to change the
>slightest thing , not even
>the slightest and we don't
>have a problem here bigger
>than a dime size scorpions
>hole. Either the troubled state
>can copy the successful state
>or the troubled state can
>stay away and thus not
>infect the successful state. You
>pick which one I'm good
>with either.
>
>
> Someone on here
>from these organizations has to
>have a good reason or
>at least argument for why
>Utah's groups came to Arizona.
>Anyone there.????

I belong to two groups in Utah, one that doesn't want our currently established Utah system in Arizona (or anywhere else, including Utah) and one that probably does, but hasn't done much about it as far as I know. I may not be the one you're looking for, but it doesn't take much to know why they want to do it! It's why anyone attempts to change political policy anywhere. In spite of what these groups will tell you or even what they may believe themselves that it's the best way to do things, it ultimately comes down to money and power, probably in that order, concentrated in the hands of a few chosen people. Whether it's right or left, liberal or conservative, when taken to it's ultimate end (or even near ultimate end) that's what happens. History is filled with stories of the rise and fall of (fill in the blank) and this is no different. All they need is a foot in the door! Be vigilant in keeping them out if you don't want that outcome.

Bit of smoke and mirrors happening.

A few years back the state required that you have
A valid hunting license to even APPLY. Cha Ching.

The best part of that is these license dollars
Push PR funding to a higher level.

I've said for years. Dry these tags up and prices
Will increase.

Or we could just quit the BS all together and
Manage our herds for what's best for wildlife
And not auctioneers.

"The future is large scale auction tags.
The majority of the tags should go up
for auction anually. It MIGHT even be
good to allow second sales of auction
tags as in outfitters purchasing tags
and then re-selling them to the public."
TRISTATE 8/17/2012

They tried it here twice and got their asses kicked out of town. When their butts heal up they can come on in for another try so we can scuff them up again. All we have to do is yell "FIRE!, FIRE!" or "SFW!, SFW!" or "BGF!, BGF!". This is war for most Arizona hunters and the enemy is a bunch of fat old rich boys who never learned to fight.

DeLoss-

Thanks for the post. I enjoy hearing others? opinions on important issues even if I disagree with them. I have heard you and Cody claim for some time that Utah is a different animal and faces unique and different problems than most surrounding states. As an example, Cody frequently points to the fact that the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources (UDWR) receives almost all of its funding from license sales and federal funding as opposed to revenue from Utah?s general fund. While it is true that Utah (and each state for that matter) is different some respects, there are more similarities than you think.

First, the UDWR does in fact generate most of its operating budget from license sales and federal funding as opposed to the state general fund. However, that is nothing unique or special. Most western states face that same challenge. Nationwide, ?the average agency?s budget is more than $40 million per year, more than half of which comes from license sales or other user fees. Nearly a quarter of the agency?s funding comes from federal grants--mostly from excise taxes on sporting equipment--while less than 10 percent comes from state general funds. Much of the rest--nearly 10 percent--comes from other state tax receipts that are dedicated to the agency?s use.? See http://www.ti.org/FWtext.html. Some quick internet research revealed that Fish & Game agencies in most western states receive little, if any, of their operating budget from the states? general funds. I have included a few of the sources I reviewed. See http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/in-the-news/2012/11/hunting,-fishing,-wildlife-injects-$3-billion-into-colorado's-economy.aspx?s=%22Colorado%22&st=&ps= (Colorado Fish & Game ?it gets no money from the state coffers.?); https://fishandgame.idaho.gov/conte...and-game-bring-each-year-taxes-fines-and-tags (?Idaho Fish and Game doesn't get any money from the Idaho general fund (state taxes). We are funded by license and tag sales and from several federal programs.?); http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/getoutside.shtml (?The Arizona Game and Fish Department does not receive any monies from the state?s general tax fund to operate. Operations are primarily funded through the sale of hunting and fishing licenses, federal use taxes, the Heritage Fund and the Wildlife Conservation Fund; http://wyomingnews.com/articles/2013/11/02/opinion/staff_editorials/column234.txt (In Wyoming, license fees ?provide 80 percent of the department's revenue.?). Therefore, the reality is that most Fish & Game agencies around the west are funded almost entirely through license sales and user fees as opposed to tax revenue from the states? general funds.

Second, although there are some differences, Utah is not that unique ideologically, demographically, geographically, economically or politically from the surrounding states. This is particularly true when those factors are applied to hunting, fishing and wildlife management. In other words, Utah is much more similar to Wyoming, Idaho, Arizona and Nevada than it is to Florida, New York, Michigan and California.

Third, many of the problems and challenges that the UDWR is facing are also affecting other western states. A few quick examples: (1) Mule deer populations are struggling throughout the west. (2) The number of hunters and the percentage of the overall population that hunt is generally decreasing across the west and nationwide. ?According to the Fish & Wildlife Service surveys, the number of hunters in the U.S. peaked at 17.1 million in 1975 and has declined or, at best, remained stagnant ever since. As a percentage of the population, the number has declined from 11.2 percent in 1960 to 8.3 percent in 1991. The total number of people buying hunting licenses declined by 8 percent from 1975 to 1994.? See http://www.ti.org/FWtext.html. (3) Those people who don't hunt or fish have demanded that state Fish & Game agencies devote more resources to non-game species--species that bring little or no income to the agencies. These challenges and problems are not unique to Utah.

The main point that I wanted to make is while Utah sportsmen and the UDWR do face some distinctive challenges, we are not as unique or different and some would like us to think. One thing that does make us unique, however, is our decision to commercialize hunting more than most of the surrounding states. There are many examples, but let's stick to conservation permits. Utah has more conservation permits that all of surrounding western states combined. That is a fact. Other states generally have a few, limited governors or other auction tags but they have not set aside hundreds of premiums tags to be sold to the highest bidder. I don't want to get into the issue of who first created these tags or who benefits from these tags. Those issues have been and will be discussed in numerous other threads. My point is that most western states face the same challenges and problems that Utah is facing. However, they have found a way to manage their big game herds and balance their budgets without taking hundreds of premium tags out the public draws to be put up for auction. And frankly, an argument can be made that other states do a better job than Utah does without pimping out hundreds of tags each year.

DeLoss, I don't dispute your description of how we got to where we are today. Nor will I disagree with your statement that ?the powers that be? in the State of Utah like the revenue generated from conservation permits. However, I would add that once a state goes down this road, there is no turning back. The state, the Fish & Game and the conservation groups all become addicted to the money, power and influence that are generated from these permits. So if you are a sportsman in a surrounding state and you are concerned about what has been coined ?the Utah model,? make sure you fight the spread of commercial tags before they get a toehold in your state.

Have an enjoyable Thanksgiving holiday wiht your family!

Hawkeye

Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag
Bowtech Destroyer
Winchester Apex .50 Cal

This is a nice debate and conversation for a change. Thanks.
Utah is more unique in ways that 2lumpy said. I also agree with Hawkeye on many of his points.
One other point.
Many families in Utah are large compared to many states. This does put more strain on public services.
Utah's population has been and is expected to grow a lot over the next 20-30 years. Habitat has been lost. The cost to buy winter range, or provide easements for wildlife is not possible in many areas. Areas where there used to be winter range available.
A lot of winter range for big game animals are on private property in Northern Utah.
Utah doesn't have the winter range that CO,WY,MT, or ID has.

Conservation permits were and are used to improve the quality
of habitat, buy easements, do projects to try to provide more places and food for wildlife, and improve wildlife populations. Yes, deer are suffering all over the west. Utah has spent more money on habitat, transplants, and projects than any other state in the west by a long ways. If you don't think things are better in many ways. Just think how things would have been if nothing had been done the past 15 years.

With Utahs population increase, more development and roads, will really continue to put the hurt on big game herds and our opportunity to hunt as often as we would like. An investment to keep license prices reasonable, and invest in our future ablity to have and maintain population numbers of big game is an investment some believe is well worth the conservation tags used.

Personally, I think we should have less conservation tags and figure out how to share some of the burden of funding with our non hunting friends.

To cut the conservation tags in half, really wouldn't improve draw odds much for residents, and we might loose more tags in the future, because of lack of planning. We are already too late to do many things. Just a few thoughts.

Is the deer herd better now or fifteen years ago? Man I love hearing your odds wouldn't improve much with these tags back in the draw pool. (lame argument)

The fact of the matter is that most all western states fund their wildlife agencies in the same format that Utah does: primarily through license sales, user fees and federal funding. It is not accurate to argue that because the UDWR does not receive funding from the state's general fund, it had to turn to selling large numbers of conservation permits to make up the shortfall. Despite being faced with this same challenge, no other western state has gone down that road to the same level as Utah. In my opinion, the Utah model is based more upon politics and money than conservation and biology.

Yes, the state and these groups have funded some impressive habitat restoration projects. They should given the millions of dollars generated from these tags. But at the end of the day, is hunting in Utah significantly better than in surrounding western states as a result of the selling of conservation permits? No. If it was, every state would be chomping at the bit to implement the Utah model.

Hawkeye

Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag
Bowtech Destroyer
Winchester Apex .50 Cal

2Lumpy has a fair assessment of Utah (and me)in a number of ways; however, if I would have had a vision 20 years ago of where these "benevolent" tags were going, I would would have said "h*ck no!!"

I am agitated (1) That the groups who benefit the most from the proceeds of the tags use those resources to fight hard against general hunting opportunities. (2) The groups that have any sway with the wildlife board have been completely useless in growing the herd. They flat out have not correctly identified the problems. They arrogantly sucked a bunch of opportunities away from hunters with the "intention" of making things better, but the delivery never came. To me that means they were incompetent and need to step aside and listen to another point of view. Instead they dig their heals in and mock others.

Even with Utah's "differing point-of-view" - I suspect we would react similarly to Arizona's recent responses to 3rd party auction tags if given the chance to start over again. We were sucker punched and came to our senses to late.

^^^^ +1 YUP!!!!!!

"When you are dead, you don't know that
you are dead. It is difficult only for the
others. It is the same when you are
stupid"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom