Corned beef?

sageadvice

Long Time Member
I just got back from the store where i just had to get a corned Beef. Bought a 4 pound brisket, some carrots, and a head of cabbage. It just awhile ago got it up to boil in a large pot. I plan to cook the CB for 3 hrs, then add the carrots, after another half hour, add the quartered cabbage for a total of 3 1/2 - 4 hours on the stove. I like my cabbage still with some crunch.

I think this is the basic way. Anybody cook it different? Who's coming for dinner :)

the other Joey

No idea how to cook corned beef, but you did forget a few items.

Guinness, Murphys, Smithwicks, Harp, or just bud light. Enjoy....

I JUST BOUGHT A CORNED BEEF!!!

COST ME 1.5K THE TIME IT HIT MY FREEZER!!!

PERTY CHEAP COMPARED TO WHAT MY WILD MEAT COSTS ME!!!

GONNA EAT THIS CORNED BEEF A FEW STEAKS AT A TIME!!!

SORRY sage I AIN'T MUCH IN TO THE CABBAGE PART!!!

IT'S TOO HEALTHY YOU KNOW!!!

"I'M NOT COMPLAINING,I'M TELLING IT THE WAY IT IS,SOME OF YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,THATS O.K.,SOMETIMES THE TRUTH HURTS & YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT IT,OR YOU FIND OUT WHAT THE FACTS ARE,STAND UP & VOICE YOUR OWN OPINION,THIS IS STILL AMERICA THE LAST TIME I CHECKED"!!!

493c3bb236d04499.jpg

REMEMBER!!!

THERE'S ONLY ONE bobcat!!!

TOJ, sounds good to me! I would come to dinner but it would take 6 hrs. to get there, my friend. Enjoy!

Love those left over CB sandwiches.

Eel

I'll probably go to the local bar. I'm still in Noxon, Montana working on a spill. Probably wouldn't be condusive to try and cook a corned beef in my motel room. Or...I could get a can of c-beef and make sandwiches?

Tom
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

Screw the Cornhole Beef... Me & Erin Gobraless are going to split a pint of Irish Whiskey. Dang I love St. Patty's day.

49c04e6645f53e67.jpg

RUS

I personnaly don't care for the corned beef. I do however, like the cabbage, carrots, potatoes and onions.....so I been cooking corned beef and cabbage all day.

My wife thinks it's great.

:) :) :) Happy St Patties Day To You All!

Just woke from a little snooze, just in time to add the carrots, and nice to see the comments guys!!

Those celebrating with stronger libations are going to hav ta haf one fer me! ;-) It's diet pepsi or better yet, a pitcher of some of the best tasting city water to be found anywhere fer me.

Potato's had to be left out. Once my Wyoming Deer and lope money got sent out, all the carb's in the house got thrown out as well. It's the only diet i can stick to...

You guys have fun and enjoy yourselves!!!

the other Joey

I do me corned beef in the ol crock slow and go. then take some of the juice from the crock and boil the veggies. turns out great.
Good Luck and Great Memories

That sounds great sage! Love that corned beef and cabbage. Really like the left overs too. Happy St. Patty's day to all of you and a wee bit of the blarney to ya.

Leftovers?? what's that? I may be on the diet but that cabbage was sooo good...and the CB, it really shrinks up a lot ya know... :)

It cost me $13. plus cooking. I don't think i've had a better meal this year. Pretty darn good stuff.

the other Joey

Sage,

Last night at the fire station we boiled our corned beef for about 3 hours then pulled it out, put a mustard/brown sugar rub all over it and baked it in the oven around 350 for 30 minutes. While it was baking, We boiled red potatoes in the corned beef water for the 30 minutes and fried/sauteed the cabbage and onions in olive oil. Turned out really good. Sounds like your meal turned out good too.

SS, Cool!! that sounds really good!! I have heard of baking them but i like the way you do it better. Back when i used to moonlite as a Bartend at the local working mans waterhole, the owner had me cook for all the big occasions. We'd do 50-60 lbs of corned beef and i'd have to pull it from both of the two huge pots for the red potatoes and carrots, then the cabbage at the last.

I too put the CB in the oven but it was more of a make space deal, keep it warm, than anything else. First time i did it, learned that it took quite awhile to bring the water back up to boil after adding all those potatoes and then again after adding the cabbage. I got the hang of it after the first time, even then it wasn't served too late and being free ;-) , everybody liked it.

Now, that fried/sauteed cabbage, that really gets my attention. I can see where that would be a great way to do it. Thanks for the note of info!!

the other Joey

Sage,

I can't believe you used to cook 50-60 pounds of that stuff! That is awesome! I have had CB that I did not really care for before, but this new way with the rub and sauteed cabbage is awesome! Have a great day guy's.

Chad

Wasn't that big a deal really. You'd be surprised how easy it is to cook for large groups. I was also in charge of BBQ'ing for our Volunteer Fire Dept, another men's group i belonged to(E Clampus Vitus), and even did a couple weddings as a favor. Being organized yet casual was the key. I my mind, i knew when to put stuff on and when it needed to come off. Still, there was never anything fancy. Fancy was just out of my league.

One year i put in place a fine system for anybody that used the f-word. The restaurant-bar had recently been taken back over by the original owner, wonderful grandma type old family friend, after the buyer ran off with her liqueur license and making no payments. Anyway, the first guy she had working there was pretty rough. He was selling more than booze over that bar and attracted a rough crowd. When i took over his hours as a favor, i swore i was going to clean up the place...and did. First law, anybody say the F-word, cost you a Quarter!

Though the kitchen was closed, the bar did a pretty good business. We had live Music every Fri & Sat nite and them Quarters kept going into this gallon jar. I finally came up with a plan and later pulled it off with great success and everyone satisfied. In Febuary, usually most of us were down in funds, I put on a free dinner by invitation only to all the regulars. New York Strip steaks, baked potato with all the fixens, shrimp salad that was mostly shrimp, and fresh bakery bread rolls. I talked a couple great professional Waitresses and a dishwasher to work. Their pay was whatever tips were left and really helped me out as the only cook in the kitchen, some left pretty good, split up. They did good.

It was kinda a free fancy party that most had dates and came all dressed up, all except the three helpers who split the tips, paid for a quarter at a time by anyone in the house saying the f-word. This was one among several other things i did, helped bring back our waterhole to a place you'd feel comfy going out to with your babe for a few drinks or some dancing. I burned up over a hundred steaks that night, all to order, think i got most of them right :) and actually, it was pretty easy. I had figured it all out before i did it. :)

the other Joey

After reviewing the posts it seems like every one forgot the Irish soda bread with the corned beef. Either you guys aren't Irish Americans or if you are, you are delinquent and will have to be reported to the proper authorities.

Ransom

Howdy JB, how the fishing today? :)

I got some Irish in me but the Portuguese way over rides anything else. lol Never heard of the soda bread... i need to get cultured!

the other Joey

>After reviewing the posts it seems
>like every one forgot the
>Irish soda bread with the
>corned beef. Either you guys
>aren't Irish Americans or if
>you are, you are delinquent
>and will have to be
>reported to the proper authorities.
>
>
>
>Ransom

You are correct Ransom.. I was pretty disapointed at the posts also. I will begin making the calls to the proper authorities. That being said and I being of Irish decent, Irish Soda bread is a staple around my house. My wife bakes a incredible soda bread and you would never know she is Scottish. Go figure.
One of my favorite things she makes.

Sage

JB is down at the ocean pretending to be snorkeling right now. Funny thing is I'll bet his eyes aren't under water.
The boats water pump went out yesterday and we are waiting for a new one to be installed. No doubt that 1911's shark pulling the boat 6 miles had some thing to do with it.

Ransom

Great story Sage. It may have seemed easy to cook all that food, but I know better than that!

Now, on to the Irish Soda bread. Anyone care to share how to make it?

Model 70

Thanks for the backup on the soda bread. I was beginning to wonder if this site was dominated by German Americans or some thing else even more hideous.

Ransom

You guys crack me up :)

Ransom, Hope you get the boat fixed. Would appreciate some of them "snorkling" Pic's :)

the other Joey

The Utah Highway Patrolman has pics. PM him and he'll send them. JB forgot his camera cord...what a dork.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom