Cooper Tires

Roy

LAST EDITED ON Sep-01-11 AT 11:32AM (MST)[p]Ok planning on putting some Cooper Discoverer H/T 235/70-16 on our '05 Explorer. Not really planning on doing too much off- roading as this currently my wife's primary vehicle. A lot of city miles in pretty mild weather (we are in Texas - usually we have a lot of rain, one or two ice/snow storms per year and a lot of heat). Maybe one or two long road trips per year.

I am looking at the Coopers for the value - they appear to be good tires for the mileage rating (60K)and the type of driving we will be doing. I have run Coopers before and not had any major problems. Actually liked them a lot on my old Toyota SR-22 Pickup.

Any of you have any horror stories about Cooper tires?

Please share your thoughts.

(We will be getting them from Discount Tires - yeah, I have heard all of the customer service stories from there, but I have also had more than 20+ years of good experiences there so that isn't going to really sway me one way or the other. )

HOOK 'EM!

No horror stories here. I just replaced the Cooper Discoverers on my truck with a new set. They do have a great rating and a good price too. They had a summer sale special going where if you bought a set you got a $50 or $75 prepaid Visa card. I got mine in the mail this week. Its not a credit card it is a rebate card, prepaid from Visa. Once is funds are used it has no value. I was afraid it would be a credit card I would have to cancel after I used the $50.

www.coopertirerebate.com

Yeah - same deal here too CPS - I think we will get a $75 card. It is definitely a bonus because we had planned on spending about the same amount as we will be for the set anyway.

HOOK 'EM!

My tire man puts them on our vehicles and we have had no issues-they don't last as long as the higher priced Michelins of the same rating but come pretty close. Plenty close enough when you factor in the price difference.

Because my work truck actually gets used in far worse conditions and sometimes needs the additional traction, i just had some heavy duty meats installed but for my camper truck which gets used under a wide variety of conditions and also for longer road trips, i just had installed a set of all terrain Cooper tires. They were $100. a tire cheaper than the meaty Nitto's, have a great mileage guarantee, and look like they'll do the job just fine.

Joey

LAST EDITED ON Sep-01-11 AT 04:01PM (MST)[p]I put them on my 05 Expedition last winter. The cost was good so I bought them.

They were excellent tires in the snow (which doesn't matter in Texas I guess). They ride excellent.

I went to the Book Cliffs last week and was driving down one of the main roads, on my way home. A small rock ripped right through one of them. Maybe it would have happened on a heavier tire, who knows????

Thats my experience!

Cooper stt 6k and worn out. Cooper st 8k and worn out. Cooper st maxx 8k and are a little over half worn. Lots of flats, won't stay balanced. I'm not sa cooper tires fan but the price is good... Oh I run them on a 3/4 ton chev loaded down pretty heavy in the bookcliffs. Lots of people run coopers in the setting you will be and like them, I don't for what I do. I hate changing flats and paying a bit more for tires to me is worth it for me.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Yeah Kenny I definitely won't buy them when this vehicle transitions to my primary off-highway transportation here in a few years (hopefully!). They don't rate well at all on dirt or with heavy loads. The heaviest load my wife will be carrying in this thing is me so, I think they will work just fine! LOL

HOOK 'EM!

Sorry Roy!

But Coopers are f'n JUNK!

No Bullsshit!

Locals getting as little as 5K out of a new set of Coopers just as justr posted!

Put some MAXXIS BUCKSHOT MUDDERS on it,She'll never know!:D

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

I had a set on a F 350 4x4 and the right rear tire blew apart all I had left was the side walls left and I keep the air pressure up on them. On that same set I was going up an old gravel snow packed road in about 4 inches of snow in 4x4 they were JUNK!! I ended up stuck half way up the hill had 600 lb's in the bed and had to call my bro to come rescue me. He had a 3/4 ton Dodge empty with Firestone tires and went up that hill like it was dry . They might be ok for street driving but I'll never buy them again.

Had the cooper st 285/75/16 on my ford f350 with about 30,000 miles on them, my wife had the right front tread rip off the tire, going about 70mph on the freeway.
Tire did not go flat but flopped around while pulling off the road, tearing up the inside fender-well
I went and put on the spare tire and imedeatley drove to the tire shop where I got them and had all four tires replaced with a different brand tire!
I WILL NOT buy cooper tires again.

Well sage!

Roy Best listen to some Good Advice!

Best Cooper Tire Advertisement I ever seen & didn't have a Camera was in the Book Cliffs a few years ago!

This old Geezer had put a New set of Coopers on His Pick-Up,he had a Cab-Over Camper,He Blew 2 of the 4 Tires going out to the Book Cliffs!

He strapped the 2 Blowed Tires up on the back of the Camper with a big ole Sign that read:

"I will never Buy another F'n Cooper Tire"!

It was well worth a picture but I didn't have a Camera!

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

That Seep Ridge road is famous for popping tires - no matter what brand.

Like I said I don't think we will go off road too much.

Oh and Bess - I thought about doing the Maxxi's but she has an auto alert set to her phone from the CC company so whenever I spend over my alloted amount it alerts her. She is trying to get a remote shocker to go along with it that I would have to wear around my scrotum - we are still in negotiations about that one.

HOOK 'EM!

>That Seep Ridge road is famous
>for popping tires - no
>matter what brand.
>
>Like I said I don't think
>we will go off road
>too much.
>
>Oh and Bess - I thought
>about doing the Maxxi's but
>she has an auto alert
>set to her phone from
>the CC company so whenever
>I spend over my alloted
>amount it alerts her. She
>is trying to get a
>remote shocker to go along
>with it that I would
>have to wear around my
>scrotum - we are still
>in negotiations about that one.
>
>
>
>HOOK 'EM!

Ha Ha.... That is the same road I was on last week, when I ruined my tire. I went to Big-O and they're out of warranty, and I am getting drilled for $210 for the replacement.

I'm not buying Cooper again...

I hate Coopers. Put a set on my 350 Ford. Headed out to my rock Quarry. I forget what model they were but I always try and bye a pretty good set of treads 8-10 ply. I pack 2 spares when I go out to the desert. Well after loading the truck and trailor with rock 2 flats later with a load on truck and a flat on my trailor. The third tire was loosing air and I flew like a banchee to town! I made it to the tire shop and was unloading one of the tires for repair. That is when I woke up in the Ambulance with a broken back. Broke my back lifting that tire. So if you bye Coopers let some punk lift them. I hate that tire to this day.
I will say this they go round and round and round when you are driving... Screwed up my life back has never been the same.

Rutnbuck

I don't know if you heard what I said. 3 flats one day never had that happen before in an Eelgrass life time.

Rutnbuck

"Any of you have any horror stories about Cooper tires?"

I missed an opportunity at a B&C mule deer because of Cooper tires. I spotted him about a mile away and decided to drive around to the north to get the wind in my favor. I had two flat tires before I got into position. He was long gone by then.

They'll probably work for you Roy. It's a paved road to the turtle farm isn't it?

Eel

In my work I drive all the dirt roads from Bananza to Flat Rock, after trying several brands of tire, I will never buy anything but Cooper. They have outlasted Big O's by at least twice. I do have to say though that I buy the tires that are made with the rubber that resists chipping on the dirt roads, They are only ten bucks more and well worth it in my opinion. Thats my 2 cents.
IDhunter

I had cooper 285/75-16s on my F-250 All four delaminated one at a time over about two years. The last one's tread half came off and destroyed the left side of the bed going 70 mph pulling a 10,000 lb trailer. Luckily the tire never lost the air. Cooper ended up reimbursing my ins. company for the $3,200 they paid me.

>Well sage!
>
>Roy Best listen to some Good
>Advice!
>
>Best Cooper Tire Advertisement I ever
>seen & didn't have a
>Camera was in the Book
>Cliffs a few years ago!
>
>
>This old Geezer had put a