Cook'n Deer ??

lve2143

Very Active Member
How do you guys like to cook your deer ??
What are some of your favorite venison recipes ??

I'd love to hear something from my Brothers of the
Dutch Oven as well.

Seems like it always comes back to food with me.............

Lar

I really only like venison cooked one way. Dipped in flour and pan fried somthered in cream gravy. You have to make the gravy from the drippings in the pan though. Has to have fried taters alongside it too.

But...one cannot do that much fried food all the time (I just use venison to eat every once in a while to add variety. I'm interested in hearing some other recipes too.

i to love fried backstrap. but here is one of our favorites. take the inner filet (tenderloin) wrap it in bacon (about 4 pieces) and tie it with cooking twine to hold the bacon in place. then inject it with cajun injector. we like the creole butter the best and let it marinate over night. then put on hot grill for about 20 minutes turning every now and then. just dont over cook it. the middle should be real pink.. i have a recipie for the neck that is killer. u will have to pm me for it

crock pot stew is good too. use stew meat or chunk up a roast or steaks and add beef broth, onions, carrots, potatoes, bay leaf,salt and pepper. options are a splash of wine or beer, vinegar, honey, thyme leafs.

Try canning venison.

Bone the meat out and remove ALL the fat & grisel.

Cut into 1" chuncks & brown the meat in olive oil.

Tightly pack the browned meat into either quart or pint jars. Fill the jars up to the neck with a broth of the drippings from the browning process or get some beef bullion soup instead. (that's what I use)

Pressure cook the jars for 90 minuets. The result will keep until the 2nd comming and is Oh! sooo Yummy.

If you take the bottled meat & drain it and mix with a little mayo, it makes a wonderful samich spread. OR you can make a starch gravy with the meat and have it over mashed taters or just SOS on toast.

Crap ... I'm starving!!!!!

RUS

THAT BOTTLED DEER MEAT RUS JUST MENTIONED IS MAKING ME DAMN HUNGRY!!!

THATS SOME OF THE BEST STUFF EVER!!!

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

For years now, I've butuchered up all my own venison. I bone it all out trimming off as much fat as possible. It all gets made into chunks of meat that can be sliced against the grain and pan fried. Slice thin and cook quickly in a hot cast iron skillet. Any meat too small for that gets cut into stew meat or jerkey. It's simple, delicious, and nothing goes to waste.

Pretty boring I know.

Eel

> It's simple,
>delicious, and nothing goes to
>waste.
>
>Pretty boring I know.
>
>Eel

Exactly what we do too, Eel. I remember "Deer Cutting Up Day" quite vividly. Grandma, mom and my Aunt would all gather at our house and cut up all the deer we'd harvested. One time it was Halloween...that was fun for trick or treaters. 3 women in bloody aprons weilding meat cleavers and big knives. LOL

There was usually quite alot of deer to be cut up too. 6 or more. Anyway, it was all cut up into steaks. No roasts, no burger (gag!) or anything like that. Just steaks. And we always ate it fried. Pretty boring but pretty good.

"One time it was Halloween...that was fun for trick or treaters. 3 women in bloody aprons weilding meat cleavers and big knives. LOL"

That's funny!

It does take time to really do it right.

Eel

Here is one of my crockpot favorites.

Put a big chunck of venison (prefereably elk) in a large crockpot with some of my fresh harvested pinto beans. I start them the night before and cook them in the garage so I don't have dreams of food. Put a bit of basil and as much garlic as you can take and a fesh onion. When you get home for work you can crack a beer and have a big bowl of beans and vension for dinner.

It's harvest time and the beans are in the shed. I haven't had time to run them through the conditioner yet but if you want to try some real fresh beans let me know.

BeanMan

Why not keep it simple? Season steaks, wrap in bacon and either BBQ or bake. Hell, I am happy just putting on some garlic, seasoning salt and lemon paepper and then BBQ'n it. MMM, good!! Just dont cook it too long.

Fred,

My wife Cindy say's God Bless you.

She don't understand why you'd tolerate me....

I don't understand myself....

Fred. I'm gonna brag on my wife for a moment.

When she was 29, she was diagnosed with stage 4
Imflammatory Breast Cancer......

They pretty well told me, she was gone.......

She had different idea's about that......

We went through HELL....three surgeries...

Chemo, Radio,...a Stem cell transplant........

She's going to walk across the stage on 12/10 and
get her Masters Degree in Education.....
Gonna be a Principle, or something like that....

I'm just a little tad proud of her......
I didn't think she'd ever get this far, period..

But she has.......in Aces.....

I'm just a TAD proud of my WIFE...
She's a BADASS chick, and I like badass chicks...

You guys that knew about all of this, and supported me
through the bad ol days ....I LOVE YOU....

YOu know who you were....

Thanks guys. I Love you people for a reason.
Because you'er Good People.

I appreciate it.

like you dont know.........

Larry,

Wow is all I can say. My Wife lost her Best Friend to breast cancer five years ago. She fought it for five years and went through pretty much all the treatments. We still miss her.

I am so glad that Cindy has made it and you should be proud of her.

Now to the tolerating you part, after you eat a pot full of my fresh beans ain't no one going to be tolerating you, at least in an enclosed space.

Fred

I've always cut up my own deer, making sure to get all fat and grissel and the blue film off the meat. Takes most of the game flavor away.

For steaks i just fry in hot oil with salt pepper and garlic. Fry fast and hot to keep in the juices and fry to medium rare.

For roast I like to roll fillet it down to a half inch thick so i have one long piece of meat. then season with minced garlic, salt and pepper. Cover with a layer of red and orange bell pepper and onion and then roll it back up. Tie it up, sear in a kettle with olive oil on all sides and then roast slowly to medium rare.

Jesus Larry!!!! Congratulations to your wife for making it through this and putting up with you as well.

We just never know what life is going to throw at us.

RUS

Damn Larry!!
I'm proud of both of you!
And... I understand what you went through.
It was ovarian cancer over here.
The wife just passed her 3.5 year checkup, clean!

Couple of ways I like to cook deer.
Like Eel, I like to make shure all fat/bone is trimmed at the slicing, I like to do my own when I can, I have a perty good shop when I can't.

Steaks I like to cook at low heat in the pan with butter. A little garlic salt goes a long way.
On the grill, again, lower heat, I'll use season-all, good stuff!
I don't cut many roasts, the ones I have cut usually end up gett'n sliced 'an cooked as steaks. The survivors usually end up in the crockpot with the usual list of suspects boil'n along side.
All my trimmings I grind- or have ground into burger with some beef fat tossed in. I was think'n of tossing in some dead piggy with the next batch, with some fat still attatched.

Russ

'kabong,

You strike me as a damned good cook.

I bet you can lite a fire up under a steak....

or anything else you want to. Thanks Sir.

Fred,

How do you Condition a Bean. Do you have them running
sprints, and doing pushups ??

I can damned sure see you doing it sir. You old meany.

Thanks guys.

lrv

I usually have it ground up for sausage. Fried Backstrap w/ Cream Gravy is as good as it gets. We occasionally take a Backstrap and cut it lenghtwise after it has marinated for a few hours in your favorite marinade and stuff it with B-Fast sausage. Wrap the whole thing in Maple flavored bacon held together with toothpicks or string and cook on the pit. Yummy.

It's oldschool, but here's another vote for the bottled venison, "Death in a bottle" as we like to call it. Hands down, can not be beat! Tender and delicous, Oh baby I'm gonna crack open a bottle tonight!

We are selective about our cuts of venison. The tender meat gets cut into 1" thick steaks. Merinade the steaks in "Dales" merinade. Fire up the grill, and while it's heating up we pan fry some bacon. Towel dry the steaks then dredge both sides in the hot bacon grease, and throw them on the hot grill for 5-7 minutes each side. I don't like my steaks rare, but a little pink in the middle means it's perfect.

We coarse grind the tougher pieces and scraps. We also coarse grind some raw bacon ends and pieces and mix 2 parts ground venison with 1 part ground bacon. Mix it up good in a big plastic tub and let it chill in the fridge for a few hours (chilling makes it grind better), then run this mixture through the fine grinder and package it in quart size ziplock bags. Squeeze out all of the air before sealing and freezing. The bacon really adds to the texture and flavor. You'll love it.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-10-07 AT 07:45PM (MST)[p]Larry,

Conditioning a lot of beans is just a fancy word for cleaning. It gets done to most grains that are being used for human consumption. When a combine harvests any crop there are weed seeds, dirt, split beans, and plant material that don't get completely removed.

A seed plant AKA conditioning plant has a air screen cleaner which separates material based on size and weight, a top screen 'scalps' off anything bigger than your crop, like dirt clods or small rocks, the bottom screen 'sifts' anything smaller, like weed seeds and fine soil particles. All of the remaining crop drops through a column of air which blows out anything lighter than a bean (or any other crop). All of this then is conveyed to a gravity separation table which separates material which is similar in size but differing in weight. The result is mostly beans and maybe a few dirt clods which are the same size and weight...

In reality it means setting up the machines and then donning a PAPR respirator and standing in a big cloud of dust for many hours fixing anything that goes wrong.

Fred

Fred,

I understand Completely.

I came from a rural community. I hauled hay every
summer from...around 77 to ...around ...89....

It was expected of us......it's what we did.

We don't raise Beans down here, but I've walked the
row's, hoe'ing or pulling Johnson grass out of the
Milo fields when I was in my early teens.

We WORKED in the summer time when I was young.

When football Two-a-day's would roll around.....
I was in a WHOLE lot better shape than those boys
that had been sacking groceries, and/or lay'n up
under the A/C all summer.

Still am.

I know what you're talking about Fred.
I've spent a few hours around a Combine as well....

If you're like me. You wouldnt take for it.

I HATE my office job. I'd go back to hay hauling in a
minute if the money was the same....

it aint...

lrv

DO venison.
Lightly brown the roast is the DO.
add red potatoes, carrot and I cook with mushrooms and ect.
add water but leave some room for expantion.
add a packet of lipton onion and roasted garlic dry soup mix.
Cook at 350? or 14 brickets on top & bottom.
cook about 2 hours I never seem to pay that much attention to it. It depends when everyone gets back to camp

Great recipes you guys! They sound delicious!

Beanman, I have a newly found respect for the lowly bean! Thanks for taking us on the "tour"!

Eel

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom