Cooking the skull?

ELKOHUNTER

Very Active Member
How long do you cook the skull on a lope for?

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

Do not boil the skull. Simmer it in very hot water. Do so only until the meat and cartiledge etc. can be easily removed. Boiling will crack the skull. mtmuley

Like mtmuley said. Do not boil. Simmer it and pull out of water every half hour and work on it getting meat off. Change water helps as well.

antelope and young deer will fall apart if you boil them.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-27-09 AT 09:56PM (MST)[p]Ok so I just simmer it. How do you get the brain out? Right now he is soaking in water so his prongs come off.

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

The easiest way I've found to get the brains out is to take a wire coat hanger and untwist it. Then, make a tight hook out of one end and insert that up into the brain cavity and scramble the contents around. You'll then be able to use the hooked end to pull it out a piece at a time. I did my son's California buck yesterday and got them out in 5-10 minutes. I also had good luck by filling the cavity with water when I had about 1/2 of the brains out, and shaking it around. That loosened them right up and they poured out with the water.

As for simmering the skull, you'll find the tissue comes off more quickly if you add some soda ash to your boil water. Some guys use a little dish soap if they can't get soda ash. It just helps the meat and grease come off the skull easier. DO NOT overcook it!

sorry, i thought you were just trying to remove the horn's, never had a scull plate crack, but I've never done the whole skull.

The brains should shake out. A compressor comes in handy to clear out some of the smaller areas, just watch the blow back. ;)

After you've cleaned it completely, you can make up a paste of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide and coat the entire skull with this mixture. Leave it on for about a week and then clean it off to see how well it is bleaching. You may need to do this several times, but in the end it'll bleach out nicely by using hydrogen peroxide. DO NOT use bleach.

I've always been leery of boiling out antelope horns to pop them from the skull plate. Boiling can easily crack them. I finally got one I wanted to officially score so I was super nervous about boiling. The scull cap and attached horns have been sitting in my garage in a garbage bag for about 10 days. Mainly because I hadn't had time to tend to them yet.

Anyhow I got them out last night and was ready to boil. Had a pot going on the BBQ. Pulled the horns out of the bag (yes it smelled funky) and noticed they were loose. After a little gentle tugging they popped right off without any boiling at all. Bingo.

No more boiling antelope horns for this guy.

CA, I might have to try that sometime. I have been using a product that a guy here in Utah makes that works pretty good.

Also, after soaking you can try pressurized water to clean it off.

Do any of you know where you can buy the bugs that clean them off?

Dig around on taxidermynet.com. There is usually someone selling dermistid beetle colonies. Unless you are planning on doing a signficant number of skulls, the beetles are probably not worth the trouble.

I've had good luck simmering. I've done the peroxide and bleach thing on my own with decent results. Last year I got the kit from Vandykes Taxidermy with the whitening agent and the 40% hydrogen peroxide (much stronger than over the counter stuff) and had the best results. It is mixed and applied as a paste on the skull, wrapped in clear saran wrap, and left in the sun a few days. Really whitened it up. The kit was $19.95 and had plenty to do two deer sized skulls.

Post us a pick when you get it done.

To get the horns off do what was said above, and put them in a garbage sack with a small amount of water and set in the sun for about two weeks or just til ready to pop off. As for getting the brains out, my first advice is to make sure and do this prior to simmering the skull. The coat hanger will work but i would use it in conjunction with a high pressure hose nozzle and you can get them out in just a couple of minutes. Make sure and watch for fling brains though. Good luck and post up some pics.

I am a fan of european mounts.
Lets see some pictures of some that you all have done.

IF you have a large backyard: Put the skull in a 5 gallon bucket, fill to the bottom of the horns. Let sit a week or two in the sun. The horns should pull off at some point during this period. Scrap/rinse them out, fill them with borax and let em sit upside down for a spell. Fill the 5 gallon buck with more water over the entire skull. Let sit an additional two or three weeks, covered. After this period, the bacteria in the water will have done a good job of cleaning the skull. Simply spray it off with the hose. You may have some scraping to do, but not much. Make sure you watch for and keep loose teeth. After the skull has been rinsed and dried, I super glue the teeth back in, as well as any loose seams. I have done a bunch of antelope this way for myself and others, and all have turned out great. The skull turns out a nice, natural color. If you desire a white skull, I use 40 or 50 volume hydrogen peroxide before superglueing anything. Apply the paste with a paint brush and let sit in the sun for a day. It'll be white as a ghost. This method also allows for the preservation of the nasal cavity. The drawback of the method is the smell and that it takes about a month, more if you have colder temps. The advantage is that there is almost no scraping to be done, simply let the bacteria in the water do the work. The method works particularly well with antelope because you can remove the horns and the whole skull will fit in the bucket. Deer/elk and harder in that regard. I cover antlers with a garbage bag to limit sun exposure. I use this method exclusively for antelope.

I dont know.But i do know that you should NEVER EVER boil a bear skull in your kitchen.The smell will last as long as it take your wife to forget.Trust me, NEVER do it....

haha thats funny. Ya I don't think I even want to try it!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom